Ukraine / Russia

You aren't too far off from what I have seen. I don't think I would go so far as anti-Americanism, but rather a good sized chunk of the population that is so self-interested they do not see any kind of service as a noble profession.

I did a hitch in recruiting command in the late 2010s, and I gained a whole new appreciation for the complexity. Probably the biggest issue facing recruiting now is not finding willing candidates, but rather MEPS having access to electronic medical records, the scourge of ADHD meds, parents who brought their kids to the doctor for everything, video games over sports, and mental health.
Absolutely, I left the active service as a Co XO (infantry) in 2017 and then 19th group in 2019 The lack of capable bodies/ even specimens with an oz of athleticism was apparent. I imagine that it is only getting worse. It was a challenge to manage, plan, and implement good training back then with out making things too challenging for new soldiers but try to challenge the more capable ones and keep them engaged and interested. Hopefully we never have to have another major ground war… but what’s the saying about hoping and taking a crap and see what appears first

I wouldn't presume to argue with you on this point, but I am not sure this is what is informing the average 19yo's opinion.
That's fair, and it's been just over a decade since I was in their shoes, but my impression has been that the wars in my lifetime have felt a lot less noble, less existential, less like we're fighting for the soul of our country than the wars of generations before. That and everything about the American system is screwing the average person entering adulthood - just look at Zillow if you need proof, so maybe they don't want to fight for a system that won't fight for them.

Is Russia going to be able to spin the ISIS attack onto the shoulders of Ukraine? I certainly wouldn't put it past Putin, wouldn't want to let a disaster go to waste.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back