Two Idaho Blackpowder bucks

Idaho Ron

Hi guys. I have been so busy with stuff I haven't had much of a chance to post lately. My friend John and I both drew on a muzzleloader hunt this year and we both got our bucks.

Well the story starts out on Friday the 27th. I saw a nice 180 class buck and he got away. He was a spooky devil and I could not get close for a shot. I went to another hunting area and found some NICE deer. One buck was real wide and the other was nice but a little narrow with a tall rack. Well after talking to my friend John we went back Saturday. I found both bucks and the big one was still hanging out on the ridge and only dropping down to breed does. The other buck was after a doe to the bottom of the canyon.
It took us all day to get there where we last saw him. About 4:00 pm We were glassing when I looked down and a BIG deer was coming out of the canyon. I saw him from the side and he was TALL with deep forks. Without a look at the width I got to a place to shoot and took him at under 100 yards. At the shot the buck was SLAMED to the ground. My buddy and my son were both watching but it happened so fast they didn't see the buck well. I saw him on the ground and his width looked GOOD but I didn't look for long because I was loading. Then all of a sudden He was up and gone. I ran to catch sight of him as he was going down hill. I saw him still going down hill heading for the bottom. The canyon was full of Rock pillars and Huge boulders. Then I see him for a split second at about 40 yards going through the rock pillars going to my left. I took the shot and instantly turned to yell at my friend John that the buck was running to the left. In less than a minute John shot, and I see a buck that is shot in the butt.
My shot felt good so I didn't know if he had shot it or me. I took a shot at 160 yards I was not sure if I hit him. We ran closer but he was way out there. I shot again at 275 and the shot was just a pinch low, but he only took a few more steps and went down. I took another shot at about 160 and hit him. I got one more shot at about 150 and hit him, soon he was done. When I looked at the buck he was having some ground shrinkage, and I could have swore that the buck I shot at was bigger. The problem was when we gutted him my first shot was no where to found. The way he flopped to the ground I KNEW it had to be a shot to the shoulder that was close to the spine.
Well on Sunday we found out that my son had lost my shooting sticks and we went to find them. The last place we had them was the 40 yard running shot that felt good. We found the sticks, and the FIRST deer I shot at, yes the first deer. From where I shot the 40 yard running shot He was below and to the left in the bushes behind the rock pillar. He had ran about 10 feet past the opening in the rock and fell dead.
When I shot him that time, a SECOND buck flushed. That was the smaller buck I saw that morning that had the tall rack.
When he flushed the buck had NOT been shot yet but John thought it was the buck I hit, and shot him in the A$$.
Now things came together. I shot the buck I thought was 30", and he died. The second buck flushed, and because he was so tall we thought it was the first buck and we pounded him thinking it was the first deer getting away. I never looked at the antlers because I was just intent on getting the buck on the ground.
It took all day but we got them both out. He is a great buck actually both are. My buck was wounded from fighting. His Cheek on the right side had a antler tip stuck in it. The sore was nasty and it ruined the cape. I plan on using the cape off the smaller deer for a mount.
My son Jacob was with me. He is 12 and this was his first deer hunt where he saw me shoot a deer. He was so excited he about wet his pants.
My muzzleloader is a TC Renegade with a Green Mountain Stainless steel barrel. It has a fast twist for shooting conicals. It also has a Lyman peep sight that is sighted in from 100 all the way out to 200 yards. It also has a lyman globe front sight. The load was a 410 gr Hornady Great plains bullet with 100 gr of Pyrodex select RS. This load is coming out at 1500 FPS. I get under 1" groups with this rifle at 100 yards.
This was the picture of the buck on Saturday night. When my son took this picture we thought it was the deer I shot.

446129.jpg

Here are pictures from Sunday morning when we found the buck I first shot at. The buck measures 29 7/8" wide. Ron

446130.jpg

445805.jpg

445828.jpg

IT 37, I have been out only a couple of times. One time we got in to them good the next was a bust. The southern areas are BAD for chukar this year. Ron

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back