Turkey Slam?

1_pointer

I was wondering if anyone here has taken the Turkey Slam? I've never killed one yet, but their on my short list.

Congrats Ithica and good luck nut!!! I'd just like a crack at one. If I get a bear this spring I may just have to try to find a place to chase them next spring. UT is draw only for turkeys. :(

Hey 1 pointer...

I killed my first turkey last year here in Utah. He was a Rio Grande. That hunt was one of the greatest things I've ever tried, i hope you get the chance soon. The turkey population here in Utah is booming, and the state tells us that they expect to be able to sell tags over the counter in 4-5 years, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I still havent actually drawn a tag, I bought my conservation tag at a NWTF banquet here in Tooele.

Maybe we should get together and play with the birds this spring. They have just started gobbling here on this side of the hill, and should start henning up her in a week or so. I did have a tom strut in my decoys yesterday, and he even tried to get a little lovin from one of them. Made for some good video.

Todd

been gone a while, anybody miss me? :rolleyes:

I would just like to know,1. how many varieties are there?
2.Where are they found?
3.How do you tell 'em apart without a program?
4.What kind do we have here in Wisconsin?

Yeah me too, I have yet to get one of any kind. Had one cloose last year, my season starts on 04-24. I was hunting the last 2 days with one of our lease group, had 3 toms come in yesterday, he rolled one, bird got up running, then flew off. We did the homework, patterning, red dot scope all sighted in, good to 45 yds., should have been a dead bird at 35 yds. Man what a thrill to see 'em come in to my calls. Made the trip worth the time. Of course a day in the woods is worth a kings ransom.

UTbowman, I'd love it!!! My email is [email protected] just drop me a line and we'll get together. I called one into about 80 yards last year and that was cool as chit!! To see it strutting back and forth. I'd love a chance to see the Tooele area, I haven't made it over there yet. Just let me know! Thanks for the offer.

1 pointer

I would love to take ya out. I figure that this weather is gonna cool them off for a week or two. I'll keep on top of them and let you know when they get going again. I'll keep in touch.

Todd

Thanks for the offer!!! I can understand how the weather would slow them down. There's a couple inches of snow on the ground here in Logan and it's still falling!!!

So far I have only taken four birds they were all easterns. I hope to one day get the slam. Turkeys seem to be the most reasonable large animal to hunt(price wise). I know most people don't consider them big game, but I figure those people have never packed one out up and down the hills of Missouri for about two miles. They turn into a very big game animal!! :eek:

hey 1-pointer we've got wild turkey here in IN. I almost hit one on the way home from work last week. Also about 10 minutes from my parents house is a field that the turkeys alsways gather in. I'll have to send you a picture. Ask your brother about it he's seen the field. And No I wasn't standing in it. Makes ya wanna come home doesn't it!!!!

Yeah I'm starting to feel left out there for a minute I thought you was going hog hunting in Cal. I was gonna be mad :mad: if ya went there and didn't come home. HAHA

deffinetly something im planning on accomplishing in my lifetime! i currently have two of the four for the grand slam ( osceola and eastern ) and am planning a trip next year for a rio and possibly the merrium.I have a buddy who hunts mexico for goulds and the mountain regions of the yucatan penninsula (sp) for ocillated (sp) and he also is one of the two turkey guides in hawaii! he says the oscillated are the most difficult! anyone wanting to take the wife to hawaii and get-in a little turkey hunting lemme know! he sets the wives up with helicopter tours of lava flows and volcanoes while he take the husbands turkey hunting! he also does goat and pig hunts, mostly archery!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back