Turkey Shotgun

I just mount a scope on my 12 ga. Remington Versa Max, and screw in a turkey choke (and of course zero the scope). After turkey season I just remove the scope, switch chokes, and I ready for waterfowl again.

I’ve used a 12 gauge my entire life. I just bought a 20 gauge as a dedicated turkey gun. With Federal TSS it’s a killer.

Keep your 20 gauge as your turkey gun. The youth model is perfect for that. Get a 12 gauge Montifeltro for all of your other shotgunning needs.

Personally, i'm a 410 guy. Shot them as a kid. No difference in killing power, just fewer pellets. Federal is now making Turkey specific loads for them.

Having said that, i often turkey hunt with my neighbor. I cannot convince him that a #4 pellet going 1,200 fps does not care if it came out of a 12ga, or a 410. And so when i go with him, i'm stuck carrying his 500 pump.

Last year i decided i wanted my own shotgun to carry while hunting with him.
I bought a CZ720. And glad i did!
Light weight, good looks, and soft recoil even with 3" turkey loads.
Came with 5 chokes, nice hard case, for $479.

I highly recommend getting one!

I’ve used a 12 gauge my entire life. I just bought a 20 gauge as a dedicated turkey gun. With Federal TSS it’s a killer.

Keep your 20 gauge as your turkey gun. The youth model is perfect for that. Get a 12 gauge Montifeltro for all of your other shotgunning needs.

^^^^This^^^^^
And if you want, you can add a replacement stock (or just add the Rem LOP inserts) to your 20ga for better fit.

^^^^This^^^^^
And if you want, you can add a replacement stock (or just add the Rem LOP inserts) to your 20ga for better fit.

I also agree I started to carry a 20 gauge in the turkey woods about 15 years ago and most guys laughed at me or called me a girl. Now most of them are carrying 20s and acting like they came up with the idea lol With all the new loads and especially TSS (I have loaded my own for 15 years also) you don't need a 12 for turkeys or a twenty for that matter as the 28 gauge and now .410 are getting a big revival unfortunately alot of places I hunt you aren't allowed to use one or I might.

^^^^This^^^^^

This was my original thought and a good option. I would probably get a new stock and possibly a new gun just in a 12 gauge.

I still hunt with my youth 870 20 gauge from time to time. I bought when I was 12. I call it my trench gun. It doesn't hurt that I'm on the small side for an adult male homo sapien though.

One of my shotguns is being repaired, so my neighbor was nice enough to lend my son a dandy this past weekend: Remington SP-10 Magnum (semi-auto 10ga 3.5"). A thing of beauty. 2.5 oz of shot leaving at 1550 fps. Only down side was that it weighs 12 lbs! o_O Not a running and gunning set-up, but that XF choke will reach waaay out there to deliver the message.

If he only knew . . .

IMG-4943.JPG

Over the years I've carried 2 different 10 gauges, a 31/2 12 but finally settled on a 20 gauge loaded with TSS 7's can't get 9's here. Light and knocks the crap out of birds plus it's great for kids the use.

Well I'm a shotgun connoisseur myself and I probably own more shotguns than any other type of gun. I haven't really counted, but I have everything from side-by-side double barrel to semiauto. I think a lot of selecting a turkey gun has to depend upon what type of terrain/cover you are hunting. If you are hunting wide open woods where longer shots may be a possibility, I'd like to have a good tight choke, and preferable a semi-auto so that another shell is ready in the event you need to get another shot in. I use my 9200 , which I am in the process of customizing to use TSS shot. I've been slow to try the TSS shot, but have saw enough to be intrigued. I should have some in the mail to pattern when I get home this evening :). I'll also use my wife's customized model 535, although it is a pump, if I need it for a little bit longer range. That thing is a turkey slayer. If I'm hunting thick woods or woods with lots of rolling hills, with close shots (less than 30 yards), I've killed plenty with my old Winchester Ranger 120 pump and nitro mag #6s.

I would rather just get a 12 guage for extra power and distance.
Technically, I don't think a 12 gauge is any more powerful than a 20. It just throws more shot (and recoil). I hunt turkeys with a 20 and it does fine. However, for a dedicated turkey gun, I'd probably go 12 just because the ammo selection is better.

I personally use a 12 gauge 870 Superman turkey gun, but it was given to me as a gift. Before that was an 870 20 gauge youth model. My son hunts with a 28 gauge. It’s not really the gun that matters, it’s the choke and shell combo. As other have said, a .410 will kill a bird just as quick, it just has less pellets.

My one recommendation would be a camo wrap if you stick with the 20 gauge. Turkeys have great eyesight and being anal, I don’t like to leave anything to chance. Good luck!

My son liked his Mossberg 535 combo (short turkey barrel, longer upland/waterfowl barrel) when he got it. He loves it now that we put a limbsaver pad on it, which is much kinder to the shoulder. The shorter barrel length makes it easier to maneuver through thick cover without snagging vines/trees, etc.

If it is a dedicated turkey shotgun (or barrel), then putting a front/rear fiber optic sights can help with aiming precision.

The Mossberg combo is not expensive as shotguns go, but goes bang when the trigger is pulled. It is not easy to take apart and clean in the field as it has multiple small parts, unlike my personal favorite Winchester pump gun.

I'm thinking maybe just upgrading the stock on my pump and maybe get a semi 12 later on if I get into waterfowl.

I'm relatively new to lugging shotguns around the mnts, but I am going the opposite direction. I want the smallest gun possible. I have the same 20 gauge setup as you, only I added a full choke and APEX #9 Ammo (tungsten). I would take a 50yard shot currently. I would also take a 50yard shot with a full choke 12 gauge, traditional ammo.

Currently, I have a couple-year-old Remington 870 20 gauge in a youth model that has gotten to small for me now and I am beginning to look for a new shotgun for primarily turkey hunting, but possibly other birds as well. I am looking for a 12 gauge but still haven't narrowed down any particular guns yet. I was wondering what you guys use or would recommend? Semi or Pump? I have also looked into more dedicated type turkey guns, but think I might want something more versatile.

I'm relatively new to lugging shotguns around the mnts, but I am going the opposite direction. I want the smallest gun possible. I have the same 20 gauge setup as you, only I added a full choke and APEX #9 Ammo (tungsten). I would take a 50yard shot currently. I would also take a 50yard shot with a full choke 12 gauge, traditional ammo.

I am just going to start by replacing the stock as its to short right now and throws my aiming way off. I do like the compactness of it.

Keep the 20, replace the stock and shoot TSS’s. I have been shooting a 12 for years but am headed back to a 20 before next year.

I am just going to start by replacing the stock as its to short right now and throws my aiming way off. I do like the compactness of it.

Then, put a Vortex Venom red dot on it and rock on.

That’s what I did with mine. I love that setup.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back