Caribou Gear Tarp

Turkey Shotgun

AggieHunter

Currently, I have a couple-year-old Remington 870 20 gauge in a youth model that has gotten to small for me now and I am beginning to look for a new shotgun for primarily turkey hunting, but possibly other birds as well. I am looking for a 12 gauge but still haven't narrowed down any particular guns yet. I was wondering what you guys use or would recommend? Semi or Pump? I have also looked into more dedicated type turkey guns, but think I might want something more versatile.

Still just use my wing master, like you I don’t want a dedicated gun and I can do pretty much anything with it

My favorite gun, Mossberg 500 that my dad bought in the early 80s. I just switch out the choke for upland game or waterfowl. I’m not a fan of autoloaders.

12g 870. I think I see a theme.

A5’s are sweet in you wanted an auto.
I have a 20 gauge and a 12. The 20 is set up for slugs and it can sling em. I won that gun in a pheasants forever drawing when I was 9 or 10. The 12 is a synthetic stock. It’s mainly a turkey gun but I pond jump some wood ducks with it too. Definitely not the sexiest gun, but they take a beating and still show up to work!

Well I love my Remington 870 turkey gun it's been great. For years I used a 12 gauge single shot turkey made by H&R realtree camo with 18" barrel killed tons of Turkey's with it. It was small and light. If you do a lot of running and gunning it helps to have a small light gun.

I've got a Benelli SBE 1 that I've inherited from the father in law and it makes shooting 3-1/2" shells.... less unpleasant... than other guns I've shot. Very reliable, never had a malfunction. Constantly having an internal debate on whether I should buy a pistol grip stock for it or not

Any reason not to put an adult sized stock on the 20 gauge you already have?

I’ve strongly considered a 20 if I bought a dedicated turkey only gun

I’ve strongly considered a 20 if I bought a dedicated turkey only gun
My dad uses a 20ga for turkey. 3” shells with an improved modified has proven plenty deadly out to 40 yards.
I personally prefer to send more lead but he gets it done.

Last edited:
Winchester 1300. It has a little shorter barrel which is nice for swinging side to side. I used it for everything before getting my SBE. Now it is dedicated to turkey.

Well I love my Remington 870 turkey gun it's been great. For years I used a 12 gauge single shot turkey made by H&R realtree camo with 18" barrel killed tons of Turkey's with it. It was small and light. If you do a lot of running and gunning it helps to have a small light gun.

I will be doing a lot of run and gun in Colorado so I am looking at barrel length

I will be doing a lot of run and gun in Colorado so I am looking at barrel length
image.jpgimage.jpg
This is my Winchester 1300 turkey. 21” barrel with a turkey choke and magnet sights. I like to put a bead of nail polish to keep the sights in place. I think 21” is the good balance for accuracy and length. Any longer it is more challenging to swing and any shorter and it is almost to small in my opinion.

I don’t know where your at in CO but if you ever want to try it out let me know. I’m in the Denver metro area but visit my parents in eagle county a fair amount.

I have used a mossberg 535 with 28” barrel for years. It really patterns well and mows the turkeys down. I put the 21” barrel on and change chokes if I’m hunting anything else. They are good guns and I’ve seen the turkey edition that comes with both barrels for around $350 when on sale.
I also know you can get a Benelli Supernova for under$500. Chambered up to 3.5”. Benelli’s are great guns, good customer support and good warranty. If I was in the market for a new shotgun I would personally check it out.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back