Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Turkey scouting

Yes ,Where I go,There is still snow and even when it melts alot of grasses they eat have mositure in them and there is generally little puddles everywhere so hard to concentrate on water till later in the season when it gets dry and hot. If its real dry allready where you are check big pddles and tanks for tracks.....Good Luck I have till April 15th when New Mexico opens. Haven't been there in several years . Going 2 days early to try to find them.........BOB

I will add if You get a hot dry State a lot of times they will come off the roost and go water first thing . I saw that in Oklahoma getting our Rio's years ago ,it was 80 and dry and whole flock came into a tank within half hour of sun up................BOB!

100% agree. I would add that where I hunt them here in CO their seasonal migration does seem to follow drainages coming down the front range. Something to consider when trying to initially locate them. But like @Old man bob said it's tough to rely on early in the season.

I am a little different for my turkey scouting techniques as I primarily run about a dozen or so game cameras. I put them on ridge lines where the birds are known to roost and try to find a mature bird that I want to put my tag on.

When I review all the photos I make waypoints on OnX of all the locations that I get photos of the bird that I’m after. Gives me a good idea of where I want to place my blinds for the season. I only archery hunt for birds anymore so running and gunning isn’t an option and being in the right place at the right time is key.

I mark where I think I see/turkeys on onX as well. I have been seeing one the last week or so regularly that looks huge body sized to the others. I typically am not picky though because I love to eat them so much!

No cameras for me. Never used em , Ny Yotekiller Different game out here in Millions of Acres of National forrest. . Thats half the fun going in blind and finding them I live in Phoenix and it is about 4 hours p+ to the White Mtns. We go and camp out and hunt the same generall areas ,but move a few miles if we have to . Its big Country , pine and Aspen country at 8-9K+ feet and some times like last year 1 day and done . other times it may take 3-4 days.No farmland or Cities or towns in site. I luv it Comared to huting the East and Midwest. I hunted PA. 7-8 different times as I was from there and still have family there. I been in the West since 1977. I enjoy less people around in the Forrest. Its different out here. Good Luck to all. About 10 more days for New Mexico. That will be a challenge . Aint hunted it in 12 years.............BOB!

Today is our opener. I’m leaning against a big pine tucked in among dead branches as I type. Yelped and clucked about a half hour ago and trying to stay put for a little while. I have been at it since daylight covering about 5.5 or 6 miles on foot since daybreak in two different areas that are about 5 miles apart.

I don’t do much scouting preseason. If I do it is a day or two before the opener. The turkey densities are way below capacity where I hunt. The gobblers rarely roost in the same area more than a couple of days before they are on to the next spot. The hens are in about the peak of nesting now.

The strategy that works for me is to start in areas that I know turkeys use and listen and look for sign while covering ground. If I hit enough areas I eventually get on them.

I’ll go back to areas I have already checked after a day or two. They may be in the area by then.

100% agree. I would add that where I hunt them here in CO their seasonal migration does seem to follow drainages coming down the front range. Something to consider when trying to initially locate them. But like @Old man bob said it's tough to rely on early in the season.

It doesn't seem like the ones I am going for do much migration as they don't have many high mountains to go up to, and I tend to find them in their winter range most of the time.

Had 3 on one of my game cameras 45 mins before I checked it this morning. Praying they stick around until next weekend! Spoiler...they probably won't.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200405-143050.png
    Screenshot_20200405-143050.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20200405-143056.png
    Screenshot_20200405-143056.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
i was comparing turkey notes with my dad this afternoon after we talked about our Colorado elk draw strategy. The turkeys are gobbling early and shutting down a half hour after sunrise here. There isn’t much for green yet that they can browse on but our opener is a week from tomorrow! I am going to take the 4 days off, I hope my dad joins me here but he has been finding some birds where he lives 1.5 hours south of me. As I type I’m watching 12 hens and two strutters in a power line clearing. I usually see birds here every year, but this is the first time for this spring!

Gellar . If You are into birds I would hunt there. They might be talking more next week. If not in 4 days You should be able to find a pattern with them. Try to find where sleep and feed . Get in between and randomly call all day. I have killed birds all hours of the day. Many from noon on as Hens go away from the flock after being bred I tend to see alot of Toms in the afternoon without hens. Good luck. When I go to New Mexico next week ,going 2 days early to try tofind em and figure it out. I haven't been there in about 12 years for turkey. We gotta take our best pitch and a Fastball with us,, LOL..............BOB

Gellar . If You are into birds I would hunt there. They might be talking more next week. If not in 4 days You should be able to find a pattern with them. Try to find where sleep and feed . Get in between and randomly call all day. I have killed birds all hours of the day. Many from noon on as Hens go away from the flock after being bred I tend to see alot of Toms in the afternoon without hens. Good luck. When I go to New Mexico next week ,going 2 days early to try tofind em and figure it out. I haven't been there in about 12 years for turkey. We gotta take our best pitch and a Fastball with us,, LOL..............BOB
I will be hunting where I’ve been hearing them most every morning. Good luck in New Mexico! Post up some pics and I will do the same!

Checking on the logging operation going on our 40ac on Saturday. Didn't get there until midmorning so didn't hear any gobbles. But, did see two toms breeding hens on our place, so I assume they are gobbling. Youth season is the weekend after Easter. With baseball being suspended, it looks like at least my oldest will likely get some turkey hunting in!

Got My New Mexico tag online today. Looks like I will be going for sure now! I got what they call an E-Tag on your I Phone. It was a pain in the arse/ took awhile had to call em and reset password and some stuff on their end wasn't functioning and a Lady on the phone gave me some wrong information. But I gotter done after 2 hours. Then it didn't give You the option for a second tag. So I called again and She said it comes automatically with 2 tags. Never saw that explained any where and last time I went there you had to buy the 2nd tag for 10-or 15 bucks. Any way done deal. Hope to have a safe and fun trip and post some Pictures here...............BOB!

Checking on the logging operation going on our 40ac on Saturday. Didn't get there until midmorning so didn't hear any gobbles. But, did see two toms breeding hens on our place, so I assume they are gobbling. Youth season is the weekend after Easter. With baseball being suspended, it looks like at least my oldest will likely get some turkey hunting in!
Awesome! Good luck!

Got My New Mexico tag online today. Looks like I will be going for sure now! I got what they call an E-Tag on your I Phone. It was a pain in the arse/ took awhile had to call em and reset password and some stuff on their end wasn't functioning and a Lady on the phone gave me some wrong information. But I gotter done after 2 hours. Then it didn't give You the option for a second tag. So I called again and She said it comes automatically with 2 tags. Never saw that explained any where and last time I went there you had to buy the 2nd tag for 10-or 15 bucks. Any way done deal. Hope to have a safe and fun trip and post some Pictures here...............BOB!
Glad you got it figured out! The iowa dnr has been saying for a few weeks to buy your tags early because of store changing hours, social distancing. I haven’t got mine yet but Probly should tomorrow. Our 1st season starts Monday!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back