Turkey scouting

I can tell you in the morning. Heading to a roost to see what they are doing before my hunt on Saturday morning.

Gonna get cold at nite in New Mexico til next Thursday ,then the weather gets nice. Saturday and Monday are 50% chance of Snow and high teen or 20 at nite . Should Be good. I would think you will get some cold at least in Colorado. Good Luck!................BOB!

Lots of gobbles here this morning. Watched 3 toms strutting in a meadow with 2 hens for about an hour after sunrise. They are on private but I will be setting up as close as I can get to them in the morning, which is about 550 yards. Hoping the wind keeps down so the calls carry far enough. Big storm and a few inches of snow coming in Sat night- Sunday here.

Attachments

• IMG_20200410_065311278.jpg
    IMG_20200410_065311278.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
Lots of gobbles here this morning. Watched 3 toms strutting in a meadow with 2 hens for about an hour after sunrise. They are on private but I will be setting up as close as I can get to them in the morning, which is about 550 yards. Hoping the wind keeps down so the calls carry far enough. Big storm and a few inches of snow coming in Sat night- Sunday here.
Are they gobbling much in the evening?

I am leaving now for New Mexico fro Phoenix Looks like weather on Sat and Monday . Just on the edge of the storms Hope they stay in AZ. I don't have myp I phone set up with password . don't remember it . So You wont here my results or Pictures for 10 days. Take care Fellow turkey Hunter. Season doesn't open till Wed..................BOB!

Reactions: trb
Ok turkey pros. I found some birds around 630am today and got close to where I think they're roosting. They stopped gobbling about 7am and never started back up. My first question is why did they shut up? I know we didn't spook them because they were calling as we were sitting there. They responded to a dove call and a cow elk call before they went quiet.

I found these birds on the edge of private and I think that is where they spend most of their time. If I get in there good and early, is there any chance of calling them off their private sanctuary and into the edge of national forest? I found a well used, semi clear trail in the bottom of a drainage that seems like a good place to set up and call to them. I covered a good amount of ground on the ridges behind the roost, but only found one set of tracks and what I think are wing drag marks. Not much else for sign and no other gobbles.

I’ve been in the mountains and haven’t had luck yet

I didnt hear a single gobble today, but there was some wind so I cannot fully confirm that they did not gobble. I had my 5 and 4 year old boys with me today, so it was not intense scouting.

Even though i did not hear gobbles from the same roost I have hunted the last 2 openers... I am still hunting the same spot. Plenty of tracks and strut marks. They may just not have been vocal today and blew out when they heard my little guys. Haha

Ok turkey pros. I found some birds around 630am today and got close to where I think they're roosting. They stopped gobbling about 7am and never started back up. My first question is why did they shut up? I know we didn't spook them because they were calling as we were sitting there. They responded to a dove call and a cow elk call before they went quiet.

I found these birds on the edge of private and I think that is where they spend most of their time. If I get in there good and early, is there any chance of calling them off their private sanctuary and into the edge of national forest? I found a well used, semi clear trail in the bottom of a drainage that seems like a good place to set up and call to them. I covered a good amount of ground on the ridges behind the roost, but only found one set of tracks and what I think are wing drag marks. Not much else for sign and no other gobbles.

I would hunt there and sit tight and still. Hope those gobblers come back to check you out. They may even visit you first thing in the morning. You never know.

You can definitely pull them off private, but it will be hard to pull the gobbler off his morning hens. Mid morning or later season can be better. You may have luck with a gobbler lower down the totem pole, so give it a try anyway.

Dont worry so much about the gobbles. They know you are there and arent stupid. I highly recommend you listen to the newest meateater podcast about turkeys like now. It has a TON of valuable information that can help you on this hunt and give you confidence to stick it out. I listened to it this morning on my way out scouting.

I would hunt there and sit tight and still. Hope those gobblers come back to check you out. They may even visit you first thing in the morning. You never know.

You can definitely pull them off private, but it will be hard to pull the gobbler off his morning hens. Mid morning or later season can be better. You may have luck with a gobbler lower down the totem pole, so give it a try anyway.

Dont worry so much about the gobbles. They know you are there and arent stupid. I highly recommend you listen to the newest meateater podcast about turkeys like now. It has a TON of valuable information that can help you on this hunt and give you confidence to stick it out. I listened to it this morning on my way out scouting.
Awesome, I plan to sit on 'em from 5am on! I will definitely check out the newest podcast, thank you!

Well, I had planned to stay out in my area until dark but went through my planned areas trying to get a shock gobble quicker than I expected. With pretty strong winds I doubt I would have heard anything 200 yards from me. The area was also covered in ATVs, campers, and people just shooting so not the ideal scenario. I am still all over the place about what areas I want to hunt, but I hope to at least hear a gobble soon. I wish good luck to all my fellow Colorado hunters planning to chase those tough Merriam's starting tomorrow!

Reactions: trb

I got him out of the roost! Unfortunately, I set up way too close and when he flew down, he landed about 5 yards behind and uphill of me. He got so close I could feel his gobble, but I didn't dare spin to look, as I thought he might strut right past me during his search. He must've seen me and beat feat, because I never heard him again.

About 30 minutes after they left the roost, they stopped talking and I eventually froze enough to call it. There was snow on the ground and I saw tracks everywhere on the way out. I also saw about 4 hunters, so it looks like my spot might be getting hit a lot. Advice time. Should I go back soon (this evening, tomorrow morning) or let them cool down (more snow forecasted)?

I got him out of the roost! Unfortunately, I set up way too close and when he flew down, he landed about 5 yards behind and uphill of me. He got so close I could feel his gobble, but I didn't dare spin to look, as I thought he might strut right past me during his search. He must've seen me and beat feat, because I never heard him again.

About 30 minutes after they left the roost, they stopped talking and I eventually froze enough to call it. There was snow on the ground and I saw tracks everywhere on the way out. I also saw about 4 hunters, so it looks like my spot might be getting hit a lot. Advice time. Should I go back soon (this evening, tomorrow morning) or let them cool down (more snow forecasted)?

When in doubt, hunt more! With all that pressure, expect him to come in silent if he comes at all. Set up on the path to that roost! Or do some ol fashioned tracking, but it usually doesn't end very well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back