PEAX Equipment

Turkey Loads

Mainer207

Got my gun out to pattern it at 25 yards. Recoil is enough that I don’t shoot anymore than I have to.

My gun only runs 2-3/4 shells, so I use Winchester 1-1/2 oz 4 shot.

What do you all run? Any reason I should consider a change?

Below is a photo of my artwork and shot. Most of the pellets to the high right are from a previous session. All the ones in the head and body are from a single shot. Is this a decent pattern at 25 yards? I don’t know much about shotguns, but this seems like it’d get the job done.
49AD1C20-6E1E-4A15-8F37-B92C44EADFBF.jpeg

I use a Hevi-Metal load 3" that has #5, 6 and 7 shot in it (living in CA our shot has to be lead free) and have a full choke in for some distance. Not sure about your area's regulation on lead loads though. Best of luck!

That's definitely a dead bird at 25 yards. 35, I'm not so sure. Did you shoot any beyond 25?

That’s a dead bird for sure with that pattern. I shoot winchester 3.5” 5 shot. A box of 10 will last me 10 years. I shoot 1 spring gobbler each season then take other guys hunting. Whatever box of shells I’m finishing up now have surely been upgraded to something new and improved.

At 25 yards you could just use any heavy dove load. 1 1/8oz 7 1/2s would be fine. There's no need for heavy turkey loads at that distance.

Generally, 4s are too big to get enough in a shell for longer distances. 7-1/2s to 35 yards, 6s or 5s further. You are unlikely to be able to hold a pattern of lead shot further than fives will kill a turkey.

Back in the day I used to shoot a lot of Rem Duplex 4x6 but switched to cheapo Rem Turkey #4s. They pattern in my gun just fine so not changing them until I'm out. I've been kicking around the idea of loading my own TSS for my 20ga.

Concur that you are ok at 25, gonna be sketchy at any further distance. how good is your self control and distance estimations?

Cheap but deadly Remington or Winchester 5’s or 6’s will put more pellets down range so that theoretically fills in some of the gaps. Full lead will generally maintain killing velocity easy to 45-50 yards.

When I take newbies out for their first ever turkey we talk about the movement of shot and the funnel shape it creates as it travels down range. I explain that at first your shot string is as wide as your barrel, and should widen as it travels away from the muzzle.

I tell my newbs that the aim point is not the head, but instead further down the neck, just above where the neck and body join. At thirty yards downrange, with a target of the head, it is possible that 1/2 of the shot string will pass over the head of your target. Shot shot in vain as it will strike nothing. I’ve read that it takes 4-5 pellets in the head/ neck area traveling at sufficient velocity to kill a turkey. I‘d rather find a flyer pellet or two in a breast and knock him down and out, then place too many pellets over a head and wound or miss a bird.

I use extra full and “turkey” chokes in my 12’s with lead shot. If required to use steel I use a modified choke, heavy shot #4 and know that I’m going to limit shots to a duck-like 40-45 yards.

PS: why does my stupid spell check program change shot to “poop euphemism” nearly every dang time!!

These Winchester’s work really well in my Stevens. The Remington Nitro Mags come in 2 3/4 also, they work good too.
634defff-37f2-4157-bc8b-10d57bb16752-jpeg.133701

These work well in both my wife and son’s 20s.
C9F0A846-A05C-41CF-8392-7EF3D8BC362A.jpeg

Attachments

• 634DEFFF-37F2-4157-BC8B-10D57BB16752.jpeg
    634DEFFF-37F2-4157-BC8B-10D57BB16752.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 121
2nd on aiming 3” lower

Which Wincester? Long Beard XR makes a 2 3/4 in 5 shot. If you have xtra full choke 12 gauge you might be able to pattern to 35-40 yards.

I shoot SuperX 3” with the above set up w/ no recoil pad and pattern at 45. I can count on a bruised shoulder every time, but no turkey I have shot at has lived.

Opinions...lots of opinions.
I've used the same 3" Remington 4 shot for 26 years in three different shotguns with nothing more than a standard full choke.
I've shot at two birds that got away...one in range, one probably just on the fringe. Birds have been killed from 2 yards to 45 yards
Best advice...know how your shotgun patterns. A turkey CANNOT run faster than 300 ft per second.

I shot Winchester Supreme #5s for years . They patterned well and killed a lot of turkeys.
I tried TSS 7s a couple of years ago on the advice of a friend that has killed a ton of birds.
Patterns are denser and they hit as hard or harder than the bigger lead shot.

Hem is the turkey whisperer. I’d guess very few on HuntTalk have assisted or personally taken more turkeys.

First mistake of turkey hunting: moving when you shouldn’t. Still as a statue! (You might get away with a very slow smooth slide of your gun to make a final aiming, it it has to be smooth and s l o w.
Second mistake: Failure to keep your cheek fully down on the stock, (peeking) and shooting over your target.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back