Tundra Swan

SCliving Outdoors

I’ve wanted to hunt these birds for a while and this year I drew a tag up in NC. I hooked up my mini camper and made the 6hr drive up to Elizabeth City, NC in the NE corner of the state. I spent the night in the Walmart parking lot going to sleep to the sounds of swans calling overheard throughout the night. The next morning there were birds everywhere and it was really cool to see those birds circling the decoys and covering the sky everywhere you looked. We saw thousands of birds and around 9am I was able to check a bird off my bucket list.

The birds in NC migrate down every year from northern Alaska and Canada over 3,000 miles to winter on the coast of NC and VA. Pretty wild to think about everything my swan had seen over the years. An awesome way to kick off 2024.

I killed a beautiful mature swan. With a pretty golden tear drop and a 75” wingspan.

These pics don’t do these birds justice.
For reference I’m 6-0 215lbs.

IMG_5274.jpegIMG_5281.jpegIMG_9849.jpegIMG_9861.jpeg

Congrats! It's an interesting hunt for sure..I have killed 2, around Oriental, and both times it took us longer to set and pick up decoys than the actual hunt.

They are moving waaay faster than they look.
Eating it or getting it mounted?

Congrats! It's an interesting hunt for sure..I have killed 2, around Oriental, and both times it took us longer to set and pick up decoys than the actual hunt.

They are moving waaay faster than they look.
Eating it or getting it mounted?
Gonna have it stuffed?
Im going to get it mounted flying and hang it from the ceiling in my trophy room.

Congrats man! I was just looking and I've drawn a tag here in ND 8 years in a row and have never even hunted one day for them.....:oops: One of these years I'm going to hunt them a bit. You'll have to post pics after it is mounted!

I’ve wanted to hunt these birds for a while and this year I drew a tag up in NC. I hooked up my mini camper and made the 6hr drive up to Elizabeth City, NC in the NE corner of the state. I spent the night in the Walmart parking lot going to sleep to the sounds of swans calling overheard throughout the night. The next morning there were birds everywhere and it was really cool to see those birds circling the decoys and covering the sky everywhere you looked. We saw thousands of birds and around 9am I was able to check a bird off my bucket list.

The birds in NC migrate down every year from northern Alaska and Canada over 3,000 miles to winter on the coast of NC and VA. Pretty wild to think about everything my swan had seen over the years. An awesome way to kick off 2024.

I killed a beautiful mature swan. With a pretty golden tear drop and a 75” wingspan.

These pics don’t do these birds justice.
For reference I’m 6-0 215lbs.

View attachment 311190View attachment 311191View attachment 311192View attachment 311193
Wish Iowa would do this. They’re thick around here

Do a euro mount.
euro.jpg

Congrats, that's a nice looking mature bird. Did you go solo with an outfitter? Swan is on my list, but can't seem to convince anyone to put in and make the trip with me.

Back