Trying to figure out the proper approach to moving out west

As a young single person, just picked a spot on the map (Eastern MT/Western ND), with no forethought. Decent paying jobs were clustered in a few narrow industries, and didn't fit what I wanted to do. I knew plenty of people who scraped by doing what they could in order to live in nowhereville. Wasn't for me and I left - no regrets. I can make x2-x3 as much in IA doing the same thing, and comfortably return to the West to visit.

Now that I have a family it would be a different process if we were to relocate. I don't think you can get a good feel for a place by visiting it for a long weekend, especially in the summer. Not even sure I would bother with that, but just me. I would focus on researching jobs, housing, kiddos' education, and culture (transplant culture vs. steeped locals where you are the permanent outsider). The outdoors are on your doorstep just about anywhere, so access to recreation would not be as high on my list. There are a few exceptions though, such as 5 points in Denver...complete s---, speak from experience 🔫🔫

Renting first is definitely the way to go. I’d probably consider renting until your oldest is going in to kindergarten or 1st grade depending on the district/classroom set up. With little kids, schools will definitely be a consideration. In some of the districts in the Milwaukee area where we just moved to 4K is free and some you pay for 4K ($3,500/year for public 4K).

We moved when our kids were 5 and 3 and rushed to buy a house (not quite what we were looking for) because we didn’t want our oldest switching schools during/after 4K. That was a mistake as the kids in the 4K program don’t usually end up at the same elementary school. Those are some things we wish we would have known/considered before choosing a house to buy during a relocation. Good luck.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back