Trying to figure out the proper approach to moving out west

ChrisC

I've been scanning the popular "moving out west" threads, as my wife and I are strongly considering a move. I'm not asking the "what state" question since I don't have any specific requirements at this point to help guide an answer. What I would like to know, if possible, is if anyone has any opinions/experience with the process of trying to find a place.

At this point, our approach is to find a few places across the western states that seem interesting and take separate long weekend trips to each place to get a feel for it. Our hope is to find a place that feels right and rent, rather than buy, a house for a year to make sure it's right before we commit to buying a house.

Any problems with this approach, suggestions, etc.?

As it relates to moving, I can't help but think there is a real strong interest in the HuntTalk community for folks looking to move to Massachusetts - happy to help!😂

Job availability will probably be the limiting factor unless you're retired. Beyond that, what sort of guidance are you looking for?

Job availability will probably be the limiting factor unless you're retired. Beyond that, what sort of guidance are you looking for?
I was interested in whether or not people thought the approach of doing a long weekend visit at the places we are considering and then, after choosing a spot, renting for a year before committing to buying was a good way to do it. If people had other approaches that worked for them, or saw flaws in my approach,I waa hoping to hear that feedback.

We traveled in a couple 5th wheel, and stayed for awhile in the places we were considering. Talked to the locals about the area, and what they liked/disliked about it. That’s how we were able to avoid moving to Bozeman 😉

Only visit Montana in the middle of June. Look at all the elk in the fields, imagine how easy it must be to kill one every fall. Go in to the realtor’s office and buy that little off grid spot tucked back in a mountain canyon to satisfy the inner hermit in all of us. Revel in three months of glorious summer and autumn weather and wonder why everyone isn’t doing this. Then endure six and a half months of winter and mud and limited sunshine and list your place as soon as possible to catch the next June buyer.😄

In all seriousness, I think renting for a while to get a better feel for how you are going to relate to a specific area is a good approach.

My plan: Turn 40 sitting in a cubicle in downtown Atlanta. Thinking about all the adventure I could be missing. Freak out, quit the job, dump the girlfriend and move to an island. Finally get enough fishing in after 1 year, head to the Rockies and couch surf with my best friend in Denver. Start doing small hikes around Boulder and work my way down to the Springs, finally settling on Evergreen. Rent a cabin on top of a mountain and quickly fall in love with all the adventure I suspected I was missing.
Now if I could just figure out elk hunting...

My aunt and uncle picked a few spots out they were interested in and then took long trips to them and then went to local hangouts and grocery stores etc...while there and made a point to talk with people and business owners. This worked for them. There is plenty of outdoor activities anywhere you go out west so that shouldn't be a big concern. Finding a place where you'll adapt and fit in with the locals is what you want to focus on. Is there close by golf leagues, archery clubs/leagues, gun clubs, dart leagues, card leagues, or whatever your into. Things like that can help you adapt and become part of a community quicker and easier.

There is plenty of outdoor activities anywhere you go out west so that shouldn't be a big concern. Finding a place where you'll adapt and fit in with the locals is what you want to focus on. Is there close by golf leagues, archery clubs/leagues, gun clubs, dart leagues, card leagues, or whatever your into. Things like that can help you adapt and become part of a community quicker and easier.

I appreciate the feedback. I think that's a great point.

I'm not as spontaneous as some of the others saying they just hoped in a truck and went for it. With two kids, that's out of the question, and likely out of my comfort zone even without kids. You are braver than I.

Only visit Montana in the middle of June. Look at all the elk in the fields, imagine how easy it must be to kill one every fall. Go in to the realtor’s office and buy that little off grid spot tucked back in a mountain canyon to satisfy the inner hermit in all of us. Revel in three months of glorious summer and autumn weather and wonder why everyone isn’t doing this. Then endure six and a half months of winter and mud and limited sunshine and list your place as soon as possible to catch the next June buyer.😄

In all seriousness, I think renting for a while to get a better feel for how you are going to relate to a specific area is a good approach.

If you don't have a passion for a winter activity the Rockies are pretty rough.

Funny thing back in 2005 I made a quick trip from Michigan to Bozeman , Montana .
I always wanted to move to Montana for 15 plus years or so . I was there three days and headed back to get my kids and our belongings. The first year was Hell ..nobody liked it there ..they all almost left me several times . I was in love with the west , the family missed home . We made it but not with out alot of trips back to see family . Wife and kids would pack up and stay the whole summer back east for I guess 7 to 8 years . Things finally settled down and now my oldest has a great Husband and blessed us with two grandbaby boys !
We still visit back east and talk about our home on the Lake !
This place ( Montana ) will change you or you will pack up and leave quickly . Its totally different in every way shape and form from back east .
I'm in love with the West to say the least . I still think of Home alot . Im sure I will till I'm gone . Lots of memories there and here .

Wow I'm long winded today .

Best of Luck to you and your family if you decide to make the move .

MT.PERCHMAN

I would think it would be tough to pin point a place after a long weekend. There a TON of cool places for 4 days. There are not a lot of places I'd like to live for 20 years.

My aunt and uncle picked a few spots out they were interested in and then took long trips to them and then went to local hangouts and grocery stores etc...while there and made a point to talk with people and business owners. This worked for them. There is plenty of outdoor activities anywhere you go out west so that shouldn't be a big concern. Finding a place where you'll adapt and fit in with the locals is what you want to focus on. Is there close by golf leagues, archery clubs/leagues, gun clubs, dart leagues, card leagues, or whatever your into. Things like that can help you adapt and become part of a community quicker and easier.

That is the route I would take if I was going to move.

I think renting for a while is a good idea. It gives you time to find the right home in the right neighborhood.

I probably shouldn’t be giving anyone advice about life but I understand your families situation. Sometimes it’s time for a change. We’ve made a few big moves and it’s always worked out fine.

I was interested in whether or not people thought the approach of doing a long weekend visit at the places we are considering and then, after choosing a spot, renting for a year before committing to buying was a good way to do it. If people had other approaches that worked for them, or saw flaws in my approach,I waa hoping to hear that feedback.
We did this and to an extent it worked. We were out here for a week and honestly didn't know there were mountains until the day we left lol. we knew they were there but had weather all week and you couldnt even see them. If you are coming from a southern state with nice weather you will be in for a serious system shock and no wintery vacation can prepare you for the amount of time it will be cold. I think the first year we were here it didnt get above 32 for 40 something days straight with lows being in the negative teens and blowing wind. All that aside I will second the having job even if it's not what you are interested in lol sold my business in florida made some good money and 9 months later without finding work was back to starting over. Everything works itself out though. Good luck

Back