Caribou Gear Tarp

Trying again

TOM IN TENNESSEE

Heading to ARK tomorrow....maybe Duck Gods will be kinder to Ol Abe and me. I understand only killing a few in a year but Ol Abe has picked up over 300 every year of his 7 1/2 on this planet---he ain't broke a hunnert yet---close but not there.

Four or six days this trip and one at end of month to close season----c'mon Duck Gods, I have worked hard this year especially to personally still be under 40!!!

Good luck, hunting has been a little tough for us in the central part of the state due to the large amount of water, ducks are really spread out.

Still bad icy when I got there for first four days but it had the ducks kinda concentrated! We whacked and stacked! By far my best hunt of year! Killed almost as many as I had in first 75 days of season!
Ol Abe had a ball---picked up 78 ducks in five days...rested him one day after he had to break ice on 21 retrieves by lifting himself up and breaking thru each step and another 12 that fell in our hole or on the levee or thick enuff he didn't go thru.
BTW I hunted around De Witt, Bayou Meto, Barton, Marvell.

Nope....wish I had of had a video cam but none of us even had a camera.
I really wish I had a video of Ol Abe doing his icy retrieves and then the next day! Ice was close to gone when he went after one that went down about 100yds out. As he approached, it took of splashing thru the water and got to remaining ice area and dove under ice with Abe hot on his heels. Water was only around 8" at this point in field. Abe started sticking his head under ice and then started "stomping" around on ice. Flushed the duck twice but missed him diving under ice! Third time, he flushed the duck, it was over. Green head in bag. Took around 5 minutes but we just watched and let him hunt since he was into it! When we finished our 7 man limit a lttle while later, two guys who had also seen him in the ice the day before came up and asked if I would be interested in selling "that" dog....I just smiled and held up my hand but they persisted and said we are talking serious money---I said that is my one in a life time waterfowl buddy who spends around eight hours a day in the house with me, goes everywhere I go, and even likes my ex-wife. He ain't for sale. They said "But..." and I said "Forget it!"
Heading back Tuesday to finish season. All will probably have too much to drink at DeWitt end of season DU Banquet Sat night....oh well, we can hunt Sun afternoon!!

Last edited:
Didn't end anywhere near as good as I had hoped. Should have known it would go to hell when three of us had our limits in less than an hour and a half Wed morning including 7 GreenHeds, 2 bigazz Bull Sprigs and no scrap ducks. It did! Five snows and six ducks next day, ice, snow , etc Fri and only 3 ducks on Sat and again on Sun afternoon attempts.
"won" a 350 dollar out of my pocket print at DeWitt DU. Got drunk, had a ball, helped break up two fights....fun time by all!!!

Didn't end anywhere near as good as I had hoped. Should have known it would go to hell when three of us had our limits in less than an hour and a half Wed morning including 7 GreenHeds, 2 bigazz Bull Sprigs and no scrap ducks. It did! Five snows and six ducks next day, ice, snow , etc Fri and only 3 ducks on Sat and again on Sun afternoon attempts.
"won" a 350 dollar out of my pocket print at DeWitt DU. Got drunk, had a ball, helped break up two fights....fun time by all!!!

Sure sounds like it! Glad you couldn't sell Abe...

The guys who wanted to buy him were duck hunters, not just some dudes going duck hunting. You would of thought they had enuff sense not to even try to buy a man's dog let alone persist....oh well, they were from Alabama....

Back