Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Truck Saw Recommendation?

Get a Husqvarna pro model and it will run when you need it, never owned a Stihl but many prefer them. Agree with the fuel statements, keep it fresh.
Sometimes a big tree falls and an axe just won't cut it.

Wifey hit the nail on the head this year for Christmas, of course after I walked her into D&B and pointed to the one on the shelf to get... Husqvarna 450. My "big" saws are a Husky 371 and Stihl 066. I like both, so no real brand loyalty from me. Went with the little Husky because the equivalent sized (50 cc) Stihl was 2 pounds more.

Helped a buddy take out a large (40" across the widest part of the stump) Russian Olive last weekend, so I had to putz around with it a bit. Cuts ok, for what it is. Definitely have to keep the revs up and let it do it's thing. No leaning on it like I can get away with running the 066.

Silky Katanaboy. They‘re a bit pricey, but just toss it in the bed of your truck and don’t worry about it. Best prices are direct from Japan off of eBay.

If you insist on gas, I’d go with a Stihl MS 170 and a small premix can of stihl gas.

That silky is a great saw, took it into the backcountry and cut up enough firewood in an hour to have a pile left over at the end of the week. Best part about it is you don’t have to store fuel and oil near your hunting gear.

Ps I own a tree care business and have access to a variety of professional saws but have left them at home the last couple trips after buying that silky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy
Since I killed my saw, I'm replacing it with an electric battery saw from Milwaukee- it uses the same batteries as my tools for work. No hassles with fuel, tuneups, and next to no noise, compared with a gas saw. They easily can cut 100% of what I use I use a chainsaw for.

Reactions: Guy
A while back, I learned to keep a chainsaw in the truck - the hard way. Had a decent sized snag fall across the road after I passed and blocked my way out. Long story short, needed a saw, didn't have a saw, long walk ensued. Since then I've always grabbed one of my saws when packing up and thrown it in. I've got a topper, so it stays locked up and [semi] secure.

I'm currently building a drawer set-up for the back, and it would be awesome to just have a chainsaw that stays back there, fits either in one of the drawers or in its own little cubby, and just lives there. Neither of the saws I currently own are what I'd call "compact" so they eat up a lot of storage space.

Any recommendations? Don't need any hot rods, or super long bars - 18" or 20" would do great for camp fire wood and road blocking snag removal, light weight is a plus, and reliability is a must.
Stilh electric and extra battery. No smell. Works great

Why a powered saw at all? For a once in a very great while emergency, wouldn't a hand saw and maybe an ax be the best choices? I presume everyone here can wield both. And then there no concern about gas going bad (or evaporating or leaking), no dead or dying batteries. And a hand saw and ax would be MUCH cheaper, less bulky.

A collapsible Sven saw and a Plumb limbing ax are in my truck. Might take me a bit longer than someone with an expensive, new Stihl, but if the expensive new Stihl becomes old and clogged with bad gas, my saw might be faster. For sure it is smaller and cheaper and less likely to be stolen.

There are some really interesting packer saws for clearing trails that might be better than my cheap Sven (see amazon), but handsaws and axes always start.

Stihl's MSA series of saws are great. The AK battery saws like the 120 and 140 will max out at a 12" bar. In the AP battery lineup the 160 maxes out at 12", the 200 at 14" and the 220 at 16". So keep in mind that if you go the battery saw route you'll have to give up some bar length. The batteries will have thermal protection that shuts off the battery if it overheats. As far as if the battery is cold all batteries will suffer some performance degradation if they're cold. If you can keep the battery in the cab with you it'll be warm and ready to go when you need to call on it.

I keep some of the pre-mixed fuel also. It's normally non-ethanol, stays fresh longer, and comes in the convenient cans for storage.

Brent, there aren't any trees where you live. Heavy wet snow and a mountain road can be a bitch. Both kinds of saws are a good idea. Also, I'll take my Stihl gas saw over a battery any day. mtmuley

Brent, there aren't any trees where you live. Heavy wet snow and a mountain road can be a bitch. Both kinds of saws are a good idea. Also, I'll take my Stihl gas saw over a battery any day. mtmuley

Damn, there aren't? What the heck am I burning in the stove right now? Sure looks like a tree.
Me thinks you ain't been to Iowa, and you don't realize I don't stay home much. I mighta spent a few miles on mountains in the snow. Could be. That said, the only time I've needed a "truck saw" is in Iowa.

I'm currently without a saw but have owned a Husky 36 ($30 craigslist find + $5 for a new fuel line and filter) and a 268XP. My dad ran a tree business when I was growing up and had loyalty to Husky after the local Stihl dealer was too busy/lazy to fix a saw for him. From the time I was 12 or so, he taught me how to run a saw. When I had a full size truck, the 268 ran in my toolbox. With a 28" bar, my bases were pretty covered. Now that I have a Jeep, something in the 45-50cc range would be preferable with a 16" bar. Gas only for me.

I too have a Stihl 170chain saw. Goes hunting with me everytime. Very reliable saw, I also have a small Husky that is about the same size. Not to knock the Husky which I really like but I do think the Stihl is more reliable.
I also have a Husky and a Stihl and I use the Stihl as my main saw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back