Truck camp sleeping bags

fallfreak

I'm looking for a quality sleeping bag for truck camp/wall tent camping. Would like something for colder temps say down to 10 degrees. I'm a big guy and hate mummy style bags because I don't want to feel constricted. Want a system that is comfortable with a cot or on the ground. Any you guys have some good suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I've had this one for 7 years now and it has performed great. The zipper isn't the best but it is crazy roomy and has kept me warm down to -10 that I know of. Pro tip- it is so big that I put my woobie in the footbox to take up the dead space.....I am 6' +- 225. It is the bag in the pic to the right with the red and black flannel on it.
20191016_154430.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite car camp bag. Says -25... I've slept @ -5 and was fine. Not sure I'd have a reason to car camp in -25 to test it out. Haha!
Comfy and spacious. If too warm, zipper open and just fine. My usual car camp temps are probably 10-30* and it's comfy as heck.
Inexpensive. :) Sheets has for $109?
6'1, 225#. Heh, saw SFC's comment thought that was useful info.
A buddy has the Browning bag and enjoys it as well.

Last edited:
My favorite car camp bag. Says -25... I've slept @ -5 and was fine. Not sure I'd have a reason to car camp in -25 to test it out. Haha!
Comfy and spacious. If too warm, zipper open and just fine. My usual car camp temps are probably 10-30* and it's comfy as heck.
Inexpensive. :) Sheets has for $109?
6'1, 225#. Heh, saw SFC's comment thought that was useful info.
A buddy has the Browning bag and enjoys it as well.

This is the one I think am going to buy for my son for our trip this season. When he needs a lightweight backpacking style bag or quilt that is going to be on him :)

@SFC B what ground cloth is that? I use painters drop cloth though that looks pretty darn nice.

Any inexpensive synthetic zero degree rectangle bag should work. Since you are truck camping you don't need the light weight and compressibility (and expense) of down. Browning McKinley 0 degree is $120 and very highly rated

Last edited:
The Browning bags rock, get the -30 rectangular McKinley or Klondike. I have one from 12 to 13 years ago with the fleece lining and I'm 6'5" so I can stretch out and still use a pillow and turn over without busting the zipper. My wife steals it every camping trip but I have exclusive rights during hunting season. This is not a backpack bag, it packs down just smaller than a trash can but will keep you warm in anything.

Take a look at the Kodiak Canvas bag. It is plenty big and has a unique design to keep your shoulders warm. I also bought a quilt so it is good down to around zero. It is heavy so not a good choice for backpacking.

Ive got a buddy who is 6'3" and about 245. Seems to do ok in one of those Cabela's XPG bags. I think they make em in "big boy" size??? I personally don't know anything about em but he seems to love his. Heck I don't even know if they still make em?

Butler Bags are worth looking into. Canvas outside with several layers of synthetic fill quilts inside allow you to adjust for temps. Sized well for big guys, too. They sell direct, I believe.
AAAAAA+++++ on the Butler bags. Have had one for years . The flannel layering system is great and the bag is spacious ,like sleeping at home. Have been sleeping in the desert in Jan and Feb ,toasty warm. They are not cheap but not Chink either. USA alll the way

Even though weight is not important, nothing is as luxurious as a nice Western Mountaineering bag, and they have several that are very roomy. Will last a life time.

Back