Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Trouble with TRU-GLO

easternhunter

Anybody have trouble using all 5 pins on the TRU-SITE EXTREME 5 pin sight...
Seems there isn't room enough to sight in beyond 30 yards for me..I'm shooting 50-54 lbs with Beman 500 carbons. I'd like to use all of the pins, since I PAID for 5 pins - not 3...
My older BRITE-SITE had enough to get me out to 40 YDS. I like to sight in from 10-40 yds.

Any comments?

Can you lower the whole body of the sight? If your top pin isn't fairly close to the top guard you are wasting adjustment space.

Q: Why do you need 5 pins? Is your bow slow? Assuming you're shooting a fairly new model then you should have good arrow speed with the Beemans. Your top pin should be set at 20 yards (or maybe 15 and 10 yards is a waste of a pin IMO) that puts pin #2 at 25 to 30, #3 at 35 to 40.

Of course the real test of where to set pins is where your arrows hit.

I start with my top pin set at 20 yards. Using an 8 inch paper plate as a target I keep backing away until my groups drop to the bottom edge of the plate. From that point I adjust the next pin until I'm consistently grouping in the plate's center. I just repeat the process until I'm out of pins or my accuracy fails to consistent. I also use this method to determine my personal maximum effective range.

Erik..Thanks.
Yes, I am using older bows that don't give speeds like the newer bows. I just think that if you buy a 5 pin sight, you should be able to use all 5. Besides, one reason to have 40-50 yard pins is for 3D shoots. MAybe, I'm over reacting, but this thing should be more universal than it is and not weed out use on slower-older bows! just my beef.

I can set 20-30-40 yards I guess, but it bugs me to no end.
and no, this design does not allow movement of the lowest range pin very close to ring perimeter....3/8" at least is wasted at top, and nearly the same at the bottom as I see it. and I've got both top and bottom pins as far they will go.

you probably have to high or low of an anchor point which won't allow your sight to adjust properly.

Gato brings up a good point... are you using a peep? If so have you "blind" tested it? Close your eyes and draw the bow, concentrating on your anchor point. Once you're at anchor open your eyes--if your peep is not dead-center on your line of sight, adjust it.

Nothing wrong with an older bow but understand that the current crop of accessories are engineered around newer, faster bows, especially rests and sights. I just bought a new Parker after shooting my '93 PSE for 13 years. It still shoots fine, I just wanted a single cam.

I do not use a peep and anchor at the corner of my mouth as in trad shooting. only place lower would be under my chin, and as I see it, that only moves the entire sight window..it doesn't give you extra range of adjustability.
I checked witha ruler....TRU-SITE has 1 1/4" range in the pin slots
BRITE-SITE has 1 5/8"...that says alot!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back