trophy wyoming mule deer

castnblast75

Hello All, Sitting on 8 Wyoming mule deer pp's and I'm not getting any younger. Can anyone recommend an area or outfitter as I looking to use pp's in the next year or two. Thanks, JIM

Region G and H are your best bets. Burn your points, scout a bunch and go hunt. Awesome country in western WY.

Still trying to come up with a plan to use my 8 pt's for a 2023 mule deer hunt. Got in touch with some outfitters and there either booked thru 2024/25 or they said don't use my pt's in there area. I appreciate there honesty. Sounds like the deer #'s are down in western,WY and haven't recovered from the 2016/17 winter kill. don't really want to burn those pt's on a 2/3 pt unit. Live to far and getting up in age to scout or do a DIY hunt, so will be looking to go with an outfitter. Suggestions appreciated.

I would make a list of all the areas that interest me. Contact the biologist, wardens and taxidermist in those areas, and ask about landowners that have trespass fees.
I know a a couple of people that have done real good this way. Sorry, can't help you with specific areas.

Still trying to come up with a plan to use my 8 pt's for a 2023 mule deer hunt. Got in touch with some outfitters and there either booked thru 2024/25 or they said don't use my pt's in there area. I appreciate there honesty. Sounds like the deer #'s are down in western,WY and haven't recovered from the 2016/17 winter kill. don't really want to burn those pt's on a 2/3 pt unit. Live to far and getting up in age to scout or do a DIY hunt, so will be looking to go with an outfitter. Suggestions appreciated.
8 points isn’t very many. You’ve been given solid advice.

I dont understand how NRs "build" points in wyoming, if you dont know where your going your never going to get there! Pick where you want to hunt and apply every year till you draw if thats G or a max point migration hunt so be it, but with randoms its ridicous not to apply every year and point only is worst that happens. Most of g/h is not half what it was since 2016 winter and frankly dont know if it will ever recover. There are zero reasons to use a outfitter on any decent deer tag in state, none i can think or have wilderness limits. I will also add i meet several tag holders of a near max unit (from CA) that thought it was good tag based on dates/demand, 2 of 3 shot forkies and 3rd was holding out for atleast a 3 point. They were not happy but gohunt told them trophy potential was much better..lol. YOU do YOUR homework, draw a tag somewhere you want to hunt that way you can only complain to yourself it goes wrong and can pat yourself on back when goes right. Worst case i can provide coordinates but they aint cheap...lol.

Your right at the points needed for region g. Book an outfitter that hunts in G at the earliest availability. You won’t be leaving many points on the table and this is your best bet for a “chance” at a good Wyoming buck. Like other posters have stated 8 points really isn’t that many so you will never draw any of the other hunts that are considered more “trophy” type hunts. Good luck

I dont understand how NRs "build" points in wyoming, if you dont know where your going your never going to get there! Pick where you want to hunt and apply every year till you draw if thats G or a max point migration hunt so be it, but with randoms its ridicous not to apply every year and point only is worst that happens. Most of g/h is not half what it was since 2016 winter and frankly dont know if it will ever recover. There are zero reasons to use a outfitter on any decent deer tag in state, none i can think or have wilderness limits. I will also add i meet several tag holders of a near max unit (from CA) that thought it was good tag based on dates/demand, 2 of 3 shot forkies and 3rd was holding out for atleast a 3 point. They were not happy but gohunt told them trophy potential was much better..lol. YOU do YOUR homework, draw a tag somewhere you want to hunt that way you can only complain to yourself it goes wrong and can pat yourself on back when goes right. Worst case i can provide coordinates but they aint cheap...lol.
I disagree with your point that their is zero reason to use an outfitter. Region G or H take some time to learn areas, deer habits, and are quite rugged. Most NR’s would be best served by going outfitted in G if they haven’t hunted it before with the points it takes to draw it.

Most of the better outfitters in G will almost surely be booked for at least next fall, likely beyond, as you found. Some lower tier options might suit your needs, depends what “trophy” means to you. Big difference between a 160s expectation and 185+.

I used my 10 pts for region G this year. It is not what it was 10 years ago. I saw quite a few bucks that many YouTubers would have shot on film but none that wanted to travel to Pa. with me. I hunted the area 10 years ago and liked it. So I went back for nostalgia. Now it’s overrun with hunters and ATVs. I saw NR hunters also leaving with small forkies after only hunting 3 days. I talked to many archery elk hunters, father/son hunter groups that were local and witnessed what deer do when Atv users travel areas not open to them. Received advice from locals that was golden but not. I have plenty of opinions on areas in that unit. I arrived a week before season started, scouted, hunted through hail, snow and sunshine for 4 weeks. Saw lots of elk, deer, moose and my wife saw her first badger in the wild. Came home without a trophy but had a great hunt. There’s a lot of truth in getting away from other hunters and you can do that without an outfitter.

I used my 10 pts for region G this year. It is not what it was 10 years ago. I saw quite a few bucks that many YouTubers would have shot on film but none that wanted to travel to Pa. with me. I hunted the area 10 years ago and liked it. So I went back for nostalgia. Now it’s overrun with hunters and ATVs. I saw NR hunters also leaving with small forkies after only hunting 3 days. I talked to many archery elk hunters, father/son hunter groups that were local and witnessed what deer do when Atv users travel areas not open to them. Received advice from locals that was golden but not. I have plenty of opinions on areas in that unit. I arrived a week before season started, scouted, hunted through hail, snow and sunshine for 4 weeks. Saw lots of elk, deer, moose and my wife saw her first badger in the wild. Came home without a trophy but had a great hunt. There’s a lot of truth in getting away from other hunters and you can do that without an outfitter.
No offense spark since it sounds like you really put in the time and a good effort but a bunch of these outfitters have been operating in the area for decades. They have decades of experience hunting those mountains. I'm not saying your hunt would have went different but I will say for a nr that their primary goal is to put a good buck down in G, an outfitter is probably an option to consider seriously.

I realize that some people have to return for work and are short on time to spend hunting. For those I’d also suggest an outfitter. No offense to guides/outfitters and in some past hunts some of my best advise has come from outfitters in the vicinity I was hunting.

4 weeks in region G and you couldn't turn up a good buck. Man that sucks.

I went with a outfitter in G. I think you would be wise to try one even if you are a DIY hunter like I am also because that country is truly big country. The bucks do hide well and a outfitter will most likely have locations on some good ones to try to find later when you're there. I was in a camp with 4 hunters my buddy and 2 guys from ND. I got a big deer the 2nd day grossing at 186 and one of the other guys got a bigger one than that. Both truly big deer. I'm not really in to score I just wanted a high country buck, tall and wide and big body. My buddy was looking a truly big deer however his horse slipped badly at night coming down the mountain and he went over the horses head and broke both hands ending his hunt. Being in there that far and having horses to get out.....i could have walked out but he was in pain and needed attention. If I lived in Wyoming I would say go hunt. Living a long ways away just getting in there is a job. A good outfitter makes it truly a great hunt in some great country.

I went with a outfitter in G. I think you would be wise to try one even if you are a DIY hunter like I am also because that country is truly big country. The bucks do hide well and a outfitter will most likely have locations on some good ones to try to find later when you're there. I was in a camp with 4 hunters my buddy and 2 guys from ND. I got a big deer the 2nd day grossing at 186 and one of the other guys got a bigger one than that. Both truly big deer. I'm not really in to score I just wanted a high country buck, tall and wide and big body. My buddy was looking a truly big deer however his horse slipped badly at night coming down the mountain and he went over the horses head and broke both hands ending his hunt. Being in there that far and having horses to get out.....i could have walked out but he was in pain and needed attention. If I lived in Wyoming I would say go hunt. Living a long ways away just getting in there is a job. A good outfitter makes it truly a great hunt in some great country.
Who did you go with and what year?

Beyond time to make it limited quota. But the game and fish aren’t interested in having quality deer hunting. They just want to sell tags. 💰💰💰💰

Beyond time to make it limited quota. But the game and fish aren’t interested in having quality deer hunting. They just want to sell tags. 💰💰💰💰
Or maybe, they are more interested in providing opportunity for resident hunters (which, based on survey data is what the majority of residents want). If they were only interested in making money they would go back to selling 2,000 nonresident tags instead of 600. That's where the revenue comes from.
Quality comes and goes in these units and is largely dictated by climate and herd conditions, not resident hunter numbers. I buy a tag every year and have only killed two bucks in the last five years. Both scored 197, ironically.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back