Trophy Hogs and Turkeys

danr55

I spoke with the owner at Brushy Hill Ranch this morning and arranged for us to hunt Sunday afternoon, 3/31 and Monday and Tuesday 4/1 and 4/2. The cost is $75.00/day plus $100 dollars for an out of state turkey tag.

Tom went down there yesterday and took some pictures, and looked the place over. He has some great pictures that he'll post later.

If you want to go, you need to mail Tom a 50% deposit of $37.50 for each day you intend to hunt. The $75.00/day fee includes a bunkhouse to sleep and cook/make coffee in. Any hogs, preditors or exotics you see. The only thing off limits is whitetail and mule deer.

If you want to go, send your deposit to:
Pete Denney
PO BOX 1110
Sabinal TX 78881

On the check mention Hunt talk and Dan Shinn.
That gets you locked into the right group.

If you have any questions, I'll answer what I can. :cool:

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-17-2001 12:30: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

Here's where the pictures are posted.
http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=1921710086 19414892/l=6475824/t_=3582

or http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3515445/t_=0670

If you just want to hunt hogs, varmints, and exotics, that's covered on the $35 out of state liscense for 5 days.

Brushy Hill is neat, but its a different kind of hunt too. Bow only and not stocked with animals like the ram ranch is. We scout it and find our own place to hunt once assigned the area for our group, Dana Shinn's group.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-26-2001 17:37: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

I just realized Pete, the owner has a local call cell phone for me, so I guess I'll be able to ask him questions easily. He said for deer its like the Texas archery season, you have to be handicapped to use crossbows. He said since our hunt is just hogs and some turkeys that he would let us use crossbows if we want. Their rules have something strange to me, no mechanical broadheads allowed. I didn't ask him about it but its in big capital letters. I guess he doesn't like them. It would be hard to get penetration on a big hog he thought, with a crossbow. The back of the neck is real thick grissle on a hog. A friend at work once shot a hog with his bow. Drug it up under the tripod and went back to hunting. The hog got up and ran off 15-20 minutes later. Bring plenty of arrows and sharp broadheads, the rams are tough too. They ram each other, back up and do it again, just for fun. Some of them with real character in their horns have busted up horns.

Thanks for the answers Tom......the reason I ask is........I'm buying a new crossbow soon in preperation for that big @ss 350 class bull I'm gonna arrow in Encampment next year, so I figured I would like to get some opportunities to use it, and there are not many places it will be legal. I will also bring my compound bow, as well as every other lethal weapon I own... :eek:

On the toughness of hogs.........yes they are! But true story........I once killed two medium sized hogs while turkey hunting........shot them at about 10 yards with number 6's! :eek: ........head shots at close range.........one ran 20 yards...the other 40. Now I wouldn't normally go hog hunting with a shotgun and number 6's........but they kinda snuck in on me in tall grass while I was turkey hunting, so it was kinda a necessity to give 'er a try,.......and we can kill hogs year round free of charge in Louisiana.

I think a well placed bolt from a crossbow would dispatch a hog, providing a fella didn't try to penetrate the shoulder armour......

...on the flip side of my #6 hog kill story........I saw my brother shoot a charging hog with a 30-06 in the face, removing half of it completely! :eek: and the hog kept charging........luckily it was blinded a ran right past him at about 10 inches and hit a tree square on, and he wheeled and put 3 more rounds in him til he finally quit moving......darn hogs are tough, yeah they are ;)
DS

OK Dan, one last question. I assume that we are charged $75 per day including Sunday. So that's 3 days at $75 each right????? Or did he throw in Sunday afternoon, since we don't have the full day?????

Gila has a good question Dan.............been waiting a few days for the answer :D

........if it's still on, me and my bow wanna play......just tell me how much and where I need to send it......
DS

Guys, as I understand it, it's $75.00 for a 24 hour period. I will check with Pete tomorrow and let you know.

DS It's still on. I sent a check for $225.00 as half of the charge for Glen and me. I presume that's Sunday noon to Wednesday noon. If you only want two days, then send either me or Pete $75.00. I believe that the two day minimum is still in effect.

I'll let you know more after we talk.

:cool:

No problem Gila! ;) .......look forward to meeting you and slinging some arrows!

Thanks Dan........either send me an E-mail with your addy or post it here and I'll get the check out......and tell me exactly how to make out the check.....thanks again for all you've done Dan.....
DS

OK, If you all go up in this thread a couple of posts, you will see Pete Denney's address. You can send him a check for $75.00 which will book you in for two days. Sunday noon until Tuesday Noon. If you want to stay longer, you can arrange that with him when you get there. Be sure you bring a bedroll or sleeping bag and chow.

See ya'll in Texas. (I'm even startin' to tawk like them.) :cool:

I assumed they count morning as half a day and afternoon as half a day. So, two days starting sunday afternoon, would end one day after the monday morning hunt, and would end two days after the tuesday morning hunt.

Hog hunting is 24 hours a day there. Cabelas has a $10 light for the pins to shoot a bow at night and be able to sight with the pins. Turkeys move all day. I guess we'll decide what to concentrate on once we see the area and sign when we get there. It would be hard to hunt all night for hogs and turkeys all day, at least for somebody my age.

I've done some of that all night hunting for hogs in Texas. It's tough! Sounds easy with a spot light and all that, but it just isn't. After hunting throughout the day, all night is out of the question for me. Maybe a few hours or something, then I have to go to bed!

The moon will be full to last quarter but rises in the middle of the night. see
http://mach.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_rstablew.pl

The $10 Cobra pin light from Cabelas, $8 at Academy sporting goods store here, to attach near the pins on the bow will help a lot. If you can't see the pins, you can't aim.
Here's the one I'm thinking of at Cabelas online.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0004624410965a&navAction=push&navCount=3&indexId=cat20071&podId=0004624&catalogCode=R9&parentId=cat20071& parentType=index&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=0004624410965a

More hog activity is nocturnal than daytime. This info. might help us if those Indiana archery guys don't know it the month before. It will probably be nice enough weather to sleep out in the truck near our setup for hog hunting too. I have put camo over my jeep in the past to look like a big round bail of hay, sort of, and shot hogs off of it at night sleeping on the top when I couldn't stay up anymore. Just some thoughts.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-27-2001 14:49: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

TOM CAN we buy a bag o' Corn and set it next to the truck so when the hogs come in, THE munching will wake us up And we can wack one.. THEN go back to sleep for a bit... ?!?!?! THAT A WAY we don't have to HIKE BACK into the wilderness on one of them LONG hunts...

DS is a 24/7 type of GUY.. I'm guessing we will hunt 24/7 and let the rest of y'all SLEEP
You can count our hogs in the AM.... WHAT if we see a sleeping Turkey... ;)

Good idea!!, we'll do shifts at the hog hotspots, then we'll all count them in the morning or go look for them and the arrows they got stuck with. The corn for hogs is legal, we just need landowner permission and I believe he corns roads anyway. We just need good corn, low in Aflatoxin, usually corn with labels on the bag is better than corn without labels on the bag.

Its illegal to disturb a turkey or hunt it within 200 yards of their roost (I think 200 not 100, I have to read the regs.) in Texas. They move out of the country when you do that, so its illegal, as is night hunting of turkey even if they are on the ground.

Almost anything is legal with the hogs, but some things work better than others.

TOM.. MY Above post was More of a JOKE then Reality
BUT HEY... WHEN IN ROME.... ;)

WHAT ABOUT a BIG Hunting knife and a hog... I think between Me and DS we could Spear or Drown a couple of them critters.... I actually don't plan to Sleep while I'm hunting if It's leagal to hunt all night.... SO.... I'll take turns with whoever wants to be up :D :D I guess we'll see how much drinking gets done.. EH ?!?!?

MAYBE we could pour BEER into bowls and See what beer the HOGS like the best.. Then wack the Drunk ELK... King of like CWD... a Hog that is WASTED would be much more easy to hunt :D :D BUt I 'm guessing some people wouldn't want to use their beer... HUMmm :cool:

Vodka works better than beer is what I hear or corn soaked in water or beer too, I've heard that, but I haven't used it much. It puts out a real scent for them hogs to come too, but its offensive to me, stinky corn, all night, whew. The vodka is used because its pretty potent and relaxes them, then maybe they'll be less inhibited and walk into a trap more easily. You used to or still do hunt hogs right?

Oh the knife, I forgot. Another good idea, one of them bowie knives. Say you get an arrow in a hog and you think its down. You go look for it. Take a big knife, good idea! Guns aren't allowed on this ranch.

People who hunt hogs with dogs use knives a lot. If they use a gun it hurts the dogs ears and they let go of the hog, who is pretty mad at that point. Its safer to stab them, so the dogs don't let go. But we aren't doing this with dogs.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-27-2001 14:40: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

TOM.. I went to CALI and SHOT one hog.... It was at a Ranch too..... I fed it out my hand and cut it's neck.. ;) J/K

Seriousely though..... ARE pistols not allowed either ?!?!!?

HERE is the picture of it..... It was shot at evening time but when the Guide picked me up it was after dark.....It was taken with a bow aswell... I haven't wacked too many things with the bow,,, And never "kilt" anything at night..... (THAT I can can tell you about :D :D)

Hog1.jpg

Wow, nice picture, nice hog, he looks pretty Russian to me. You look good in camo, a lot better than in that pot, to me anyway.

We spread the corn around the truck instead of just leave it in the bag. Actually, they won't like the truck much, we'll try and hide it somehow.

Shifts sitting in the hotspot tripods all night, I like that idea.

Yep, the rules say,
"NO FIREARMS ARE ALLOWED ON THE RANCH (no exceptions)"
Maybe I can scan them and make a better post, I put a picture of them at snapfish, but you can't read it, I don't think.

I guess we'll have to check our guns from the ram hunt at the office or something, I don't know.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-27-2001 15:13: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

Back