Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Trip delimma!

Otto Matic

Trip for three.
A couple want to go on a weekend fishing trip.
The couple set up accommodations and boat ride for three, then expect the "odd man" to contribute to half of accommodations and half of boat ride!

Fair? ...or should "odd man" only be responsible for one third?

Trip for three.
The couple set up accommodations and boat ride for three, then expect the "odd man" to contribute to half of accommodations and half of boat ride!

When my wife and I have been on charters with other couples or other people everyone on boat paid their share

First you try to stick the entire bill on the odd man. Unless, of course, you are the odd man. When that doesn't work, and it won't, you spit three ways. If you really don't want a third wheel and are trying to discourage the odd man from coming then half and half is fine.

Trip for three.

If 'odd man' is the invitee, he either agrees to the inviters terms or declines....no negotiation.

When my wife and I have been on charters with other couples or other people everyone on boat paid their share
Agreed.
The best charter boat I've been on charged "per person". No couple, single, group prices.
If the boat charges "per person", isn't the "odd man" paying a portion of the couples fees by paying half?
If 'odd man' is the invitee, he either agrees to the inviters terms or declines....no negotiation.
No doubt, but you don't have to accept the next invite.
First you try to stick the entire bill on the odd man. Unless, of course, you are the odd man. When that doesn't work, and it won't, you spit three ways. If you really don't want a third wheel and are trying to discourage the odd man from coming then half and half is fine.
Couple invited "odd man". "Odd man" did not ask to go.
Couple made arrangements without consulting "odd man" with price. Just a call with "boat ride is X, rooms* are X. Your part is half."

*a single is cheaper than a double

Again, this is an annual event for "couple" and they always invite "odd man" and expect "odd man" to pay half.

Last edited:
Agree with most of the replies, couples aren’t one person. Also not worth arguing with a friend over, would decline if I thought I would be bitter about it or just pay and forget it.
Exception in my mind would be something like hey odd man do you and a wife/date/friend want to go we have a boat for 4 reserved, odd man says yes but comes alone. Odd man owes half.

My wife and I do lots of trips that end up having an odd man in the party. We ALWAYS split by the person. Same goes for the division of meat/fish at the end of the day.

I believe, after a long discussion, the consensus is:

1) Current invite had been accepted. Shut up and pay up. ✔
2) Do not accept next invite without agreeing on expenses. ✔

Should be by the person but if the invitee knew the terms going in then should suck it up this once and then decline in the future if still bothered. I chartered a 12 person salmon trip once, only got ten family members to commit, I paid the two empties as I felt it was “my trip” and “my prob”. Have only done a max of six ever since however.... again MY choice to put together. It’s not like I tell my invitees that the trip could cost them $125 to $183.50 for the day 🤷🏻‍♂️

Should be by the person but if the invitee knew the terms going in then should suck it up this once and then decline in the future if still bothered. I chartered a 12 person salmon trip once, only got ten family members to commit, I paid the two empties as I felt it was “my trip” and “my prob”. Have only done a max of six ever since however.... again MY choice to put together. It’s not like I tell my invitees that the trip could cost them $125 to $183.50 for the day 🤷🏻‍♂️
Pretty much.
I've tried "filling" (6 people) a fishing charter 3 times.
Ain't happened yet! LOL!
The fact that it was a "top end" charter in a "top end" deep sea fishery on a remote island couldn't have had anything to do with it! 😁!

Looks like you have it sorted out...my only caveat is whatever the share of the load should be the share of the spoils. We talk this through with my group of guys every year so there is not any potential for misunderstanding or disappointment.

Looks like you have it sorted out...my only caveat is whatever the share of the load should be the share of the spoils. We talk this through with my group of guys every year so there is not any potential for misunderstanding or disappointment.
Yep. This is merely the 2nd "event". The first time the split was blown off as, "Meh. So what?"
Year two with the same expense split finally rang the bell of, "This ain't right!"
The event won't cause a loss of friendship, but will curtail future events without equal cost split.

Does everyone sleep in the same room or is it a cabin type setting? If couple uses one room and you use one room, I would think accommodations would be 50/50. If everyone fishes about the same amount on the boat I would do it 1/3 and 2/3. If 2 mainly fish and one just rides, 50/50 doesn't seem unrealistic. You just have to determine if you feel like you are getting a good value for the trip or if you think you aren't.

Does everyone sleep in the same room or is it a cabin type setting? If couple uses one room and you use one room, I would think accommodations would be 50/50. If everyone fishes about the same amount on the boat I would do it 1/3 and 2/3. If 2 mainly fish and one just rides, 50/50 doesn't seem unrealistic. You just have to determine if you feel like you are getting a good value for the trip or if you think you aren't.
Married couple and a friend.
Rooms are a "B&B".
All three fully engage in fishing.

Back