Trekking Pole Tripod

JAG

Polling for tried-and-true, tested ideas in using trekking poles to double up as a tripod in the back country.

I'm curious to see if there's been a device was created to solve the problem of extra weight with an inexpensive, simple, but stable method. Bringing a separate tripod seems 'too extra' (my kids taught me that phrase).

The mono-pod addition as the third leg doesn't quite work since I want the scope or bino's to flex and pivot.

The best solution I've seen so far is to use flexible gas conduit with the male screw end fastened into it (image below is 'linked'): I'm stalling on this since I can't find extra gas conduit laying around without buying a whole roll.

1593630789848.png

I saw a commercial version of something like that at Scheel’s last summer. Two of the tripod legs were removable to be used as trekking poles. I’ll try to find a link.

That makes sense I was just curious. If it's a decision between no tripod and one put together with trekking poles I could see the value.
I backpack hunt alone a lot and personally still find it worthwhile to carry a dedicated tripod. It's pretty quick to set up, has a very user friendly head for all day scanning, and can support a big spotter well. I can also deploy it pretty quickly for a seated front rifle rest. Tripod up front and backpack as a rear rest is a pretty stable shooting platform. Maybe just make your sons carry your tripod, ha.

Reactions: JAG
I really did try searching several times for a legitimate adaptation and I just found this item today while looking for parts to the item I posted up top:

1593703036953.png

This item's clamp seems sturdy enough to double as a scope window mount and a trekking pole mount when you need to hike away from the vehicle. I would attach a paperback book on the window and clamp that since it seems the clamp's metal tips could run the risk for shattering the window.

For a little more perspective, we live in a world where titanium tent stoves weigh less than a carbon fiber tripod:

I really did try searching several times for a legitimate adaptation and I just found this item today while looking for parts to the item I posted up top:

View attachment 145508

This item's clamp seems sturdy enough to double as a scope window mount and a trekking pole mount when you need to hike away from the vehicle. I would attach a paperback book on the window and clamp that since it seems the clamp's metal tips could run the risk for shattering the window.

For a little more perspective, we live in a world where titanium tent stoves weigh less than a carbon fiber tripod:

You need weight to take shakeout of the optics, especially with larger glass. I carry a small stuff sack that I'll fill with rock and hang off my tripod for long glassing sessions for an even steadier base.

Reactions: JAG
A friend that I have known for years started this company a couple years ago, I have no affiliation with the company. Can use trekking poles and a tent pole and has a lightweight legs option. He lives in AK and has been using it himself and also has had other sheep hunters testing it.

Quite a few pics on Instagram:

Wiser precision has an option for this. I think you need their clips to attach the trekking poles (which can be used as shooting sticks). Then buy the third leg option and maybe a tripod head or something? Haven’t totally dug into it but it shows a photo here:

So I had someone suggest this to me: say you want to glass with your Binos, take a trekking pole and adjust to height, then set Binos on top and you can use the bill of your cap if you have one to set flat on top of Binos to provide more stabilization. I tried it and it worked well but I didn’t try it for hours. And not sure how this would work with a spotting scope or camera. Just wanted to throw the bino idea out there.

Back