Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tree Rats

Nut

Who all goes after squirrels?

We have gray,red and fox squirrels in Ohio.
I let the reds go since they are too small to bother with.
Squirrel hunting is beginning to be a lost sport. I intend on helping manage the populations around Ohio every chance I get.

One thing to know. Never shoot a squirrel at 20 yrds with a 3 1/2" #6 shot turkey shell with a turkey choke on your 12 gauge shotgun. :eek: :eek:

Squirrel hunting was one of my favorites, but here in Utah, I have been told you can't shoot them. They do sure taste good though.

Squirrel hunting is a blast, I like to take the kids out during this time.. we have tons of squirrels here in Az.
This is how I hunt squirrels with the kids.
Drive down dirt road till we see sign and or squirrels, then dad gets out of truck and chases them up a tree,then dad goes back to truck and gets the gun,the kids are still under tree watching squirrel, dad gets back to tree and see squirrel is gone. ask kids where squirrel went, they dont answer cause they are to busy looking for rocks.... yup squirrel hunting is a blast...

Delw

We went today. The 2 youngest boys carried the guns we took. Vipe spotted one. (Ask her about flying) There was too many leaves to get it. Walked a little further after a bit,out comes a groundhog from the cornfield,stops less than 10 ft from the boys. They just stood there watching it. Vipe and I were saying ...Shoot...Shoot...Shoot.
Needless to say it finally took off. :rolleyes: :D We came around and the squirrel was on the ground. But took off as soon as it saw the boys. Too late again.

Was a blast!

the main point nut is they got to go and have a good time, in the long run thats all that counts.. give it time they will get a few....

Delw

jet black squirrels ,ever see one ?????? the first time i did it came out of a corn field with a whole ear of corn in his mouth, talk about funny lookin a black squirrel running through th woods with a cob in his mouth as big as he was!!!!!:D:D:D

I thought this was going to be about opposums! I hate those ugly $#%%#^%* things!!!!

I also love to go squirrel hunting!

Nut, Are you talking about those little red pine squirrels?? Because we have reds here that are twice the size of a gray, both are very tasty though. :D

In our part of the state we have mainly fox and the little red squirrels.
In the SE of the state we have gray.
I have not been lucky enough to see a black one yet.

I hope to go again this Sunday with the boys. :D

In Indidana we have alot of fox and gray's. They are alot of fun to hunt because there is alot of them for one and they are great to get kids interested in hunting. It is not done int the dead of winter and you do not always have to get up at the crack of dawn to do it. The town that I live in we have about 4 white ones that run around on this one block. When we first moved my wife could not understand why I almost ran off the road when i saw them for the first time. It was very funny at the time. But the best thing about them is that they do taste good with some fried potato's and milk gravy.

Spring time in s/c Idaho is squirrel huntin time, commomly called ground squirrels around here, they have no culinary purpose other than to satisfy my um um lead slingin appetite, in my household, we burn up several cartons of ammo keeping the pesky little critters thinned out. h2m

Wait a minute. Where I come from, Tree rats, AKA Flying Rats are pigeons. I thought we were gonna talk Live Pigeon shoot. That's one of the beautiful things about the english language. Two people can say exactly that same thing and be talking about two entirely different things.

Like chat.

Tonight it seems to mean little more than a pleasant conversation. Usually it means being on line with lots of friends talking about how much we all like Oscar. What a great leader he is. Tonight, it's something entirely different.

:cool:

Who all goes after squirrels?

We have gray,red and fox squirrels in Ohio.
I let the reds go since they are too small to bother with.
Squirrel hunting is beginning to be a lost sport. I intend on helping manage the populations around Ohio every chance I get.

One thing to know. Never shoot a squirrel at 20 yrds with a 3 1/2" #6 shot turkey shell with a turkey choke on your 12 gauge shotgun. :eek: :eek:
I've gone squirrel hunting, but mostly as pest control since out in the Mojave desert we mostly have ground squirrels. I have never tried to eat them since everyone has told me not to, due to their omnivorous and scavenger diet out in the desert. Has anyone here tried eating ground squirrel?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back