Caribou Gear

Trappers

What about skunks? My dog got sprayed last night in my yard and I’m on a mission to get rid of them now.

I've never targeted skunks but I've accidentally caught several in my dog proof setups for raccoons. Cat or dog food in the dog proof trap would be a good option.

Be careful if you have any cats that you don't want to trap in the area though. I've never caught a house cat but I've never trapped in an area where there were very many.

Lots of house cats around here but I might have to give the dog proof traps a shot.
I've never targeted skunks but I've accidentally caught several in my dog proof setups for raccoons. Cat or dog food in the dog proof trap would be a good option.

Be careful if you have any cats that you don't want to trap in the area though. I've never caught a house cat but I've never trapped in an area where there were very many.

+1 for Trapperman website.

For those of you in Idaho, I recommend the trapping class that IDFG puts on. Its similar to a hunter or bowhunter education class in nature. Idaho requires that all new trappers have this class.

I got interested in trapping due to Randy's videos and posts on trapping, ,as well as Steven Rinella's episode on beaver trapping and mention of trapping on his podcast and in his books. I decided to take the IDFG trapping class just to learn something new, not really intending on actually doing it.

Well, now I have a small collection of traps and have tried coyote trapping. I've managed to catch myself (twice actually, while setting my first dry-set) but so far haven't caught a coyote. I'm anxious for this winter and another chance.

FYI-getting caught hurts but didn't break any fingers from it. My traps have offset jaws so that helped. The first time I did it I was cursing like a sailor. The second time I did it (about 3 minutes later) I was laughing my butt off. Both times my son, who was watching me make the set, ended up rolling on the ground laughing and about to pee his pants.

Trapped 3 skunks from our back yard. Get a smallish live trap, the small 1 door model. Put a bag or box over the trap, leave access to the handle. Skunks will not spray if they can't raise their tail. We use cat food for bait then once we get the skunk put the trap in water, trash can filled. Hardly any spray, if any at all.
Any cat caught can be released from the trap.

Trapped 3 skunks from our back yard. Get a smallish live trap, the small 1 door model. Put a bag or box over the trap, leave access to the handle. Skunks will not spray if they can't raise their tail. We use cat food for bait then once we get the skunk put the trap in water, trash can filled. Hardly any spray, if any at all.
There can be some good money in skunks if one knows what they are doing. Lure makers will pay for skunk essencse if u can extract it, the hides with big nice stripes sell pretty decent also.

I'd be more inclined to release the skunks and dunk the cats...

In the Midwest that is the preferred method of catching the elusive and highly coveted opossum
That's a true story! We call them the silver back fox, the fastest critter in the woods to ruin a perfectly good coyote or cat set. Thankfully a healthy pan tension will thin out the number of actual non target catches. Still happens but not as much at least from my experience.

Anyone have any book recommendations for someone wanting to give it a try?
There is a bunch of YouTube videos on it, it don't teach you everything you need to know, but there's some good info to help get started. I've been out of it for years and miss it badly.

+1 for Trapperman website.

For those of you in Idaho, I recommend the trapping class that IDFG puts on. Its similar to a hunter or bowhunter education class in nature. Idaho requires that all new trappers have this class.

I got interested in trapping due to Randy's videos and posts on trapping, ,as well as Steven Rinella's episode on beaver trapping and mention of trapping on his podcast and in his books. I decided to take the IDFG trapping class just to learn something new, not really intending on actually doing it.

Well, now I have a small collection of traps and have tried coyote trapping. I've managed to catch myself (twice actually, while setting my first dry-set) but so far haven't caught a coyote. I'm anxious for this winter and another chance.

FYI-getting caught hurts but didn't break any fingers from it. My traps have offset jaws so that helped. The first time I did it I was cursing like a sailor. The second time I did it (about 3 minutes later) I was laughing my butt off. Both times my son, who was watching me make the set, ended up rolling on the ground laughing and about to pee his pants.
They hurt that's for sure.
While setting a coil spring trap in a makeshift cubby set for bobber I caught both of my thumbs after I stapled it to the base of a tree. It wasn't very funny at the time, good for a laugh now though.
Sure wished I had a trapping partner that day.

They hurt that's for sure.
While setting a coil spring trap in a makeshift cubby set for bobber I caught both of my thumbs after I stapled it to the base of a tree. It wasn't very funny at the time, good for a laugh now though.
Sure wished I had a trapping partner that day.
I was cleaning of some debree on the trigger of a 220 coni when it decided to jump up on my right forearm. Anyone want to guess how hard it is to remove a coni from ones body using your left arm, and legs?

Lol
I was cleaning of some debree on the trigger of a 220 coni when it decided to jump up on my right forearm. Anyone want to guess how hard it is to remove a coni from ones body using your left arm, and legs?
Lol, I can imagine, it was ridiculous trying to get that coil spring off my thumbs with my feet.

Lucky that 220 didn't break a wrist or something.

Ouch! I joined the 330 club 2 years ago and that's a membership I dont care to renew. Caught me right across the right hand and should have shattered every bone in my hand. I got lucky thankfully and didnt break anything.

Any of you guys targer fisher? We have a one week season here and I’m hoping to catch one this year, I tried a few years back but had no luck.

Any of you guys targer fisher? We have a one week season here and I’m hoping to catch one this year, I tried a few years back but had no luck.
I wish! We dont have them here in Missouri. We can trap Bobcats, beaver, coyotes, red and gray foxes, badgers, otter, muskrat, mink, racoons, striped skunks, opossums. Spotted skunks are protected here along with weasels and ermines. Unlimited amounts on everything including bobcats and otters. These are my 3 cats I caught last season.

Attachments

• Snapchat-903949682.jpg
    Snapchat-903949682.jpg
    931.4 KB · Views: 11
Back