Transporting Ammo thru Canada

AlaskaHunter

We will be driving the Alcan from MT back to AK this spring.
What is the maximum number of shotgun shells that can be transported thru Canada?
Thanks.

We will be driving the Alcan from MT back to AK this spring.
What is the maximum number of shotgun shells that can be transported thru Canada?
Thanks.

5000 rounds...maybe????

Screenshot_20230129-204756_Chrome.jpg

I did a waterfowl hunt in 2021 and they never even asked. They did ask about alcohol and tobacco. We had 2-3 cases per guy as we were primarily hunting snows. No issues.

Prior to covid, the guys I hunt with (hunted almost every year for 12 years or so) had been questioned one time about ammo quantities. My last trip was 14-15 years prior and back then you could buy ammo at Canadian Tire or Walmart without a purchase permit. I feel like we were asked, but don't remember if we had to pay any duty on what we brought. I think since they changed the rules on purchasing ammo they bumped it.

The look you give the border agent when you pull up and he asks you what kind of ammunition your bow shoots....lol :oops:
It has been about 15 years ago, but I crossed into Canada and they open my hard gun case and asked what type of gun I was transporting.

I responded "bolt action rifle".

The gal immediately shot back "that gun is not a bolt action, there is no bolt".

In my nice voice, "the bolt is the metal part with knob handle that is laying beside the rife in the case, I removed it from the rifle as a courtesy".

I was a visitor in to their country, so I remained very polite. They may have sent me home if I shared what was brewing in my head. 🤷‍♂️ :D

It has been about 15 years ago, but I crossed into Canada and they open my hard gun case and asked what type of gun I was transporting.

I responded "bolt action rifle".

The gal immediately shot back "that gun is not a bolt action, there is no bolt".

In my nice voice, "the bolt is the metal part with knob handle that is laying beside the rife in the case, I removed it from the rifle as a courtesy".

I was a visitor in to their country, so I remained very polite. They may have sent me home if I shared what was brewing in my head. 🤷‍♂️ :D
Almost made you want to bolt for somewhere else, eh!

Border agents OMG….
My youngest daughter goes to school in Canada so the border crossing has been a fairly regular thing the past few years. Some agents act like if they found your gun they’re prolly stick it in their own mouths to end their misery while others want to do a rectal exam before you cross. Drives me nuts!

Marv, you are one of the smart ones. Even with non-resident tuition, your daughter's post secondary tuition is a LOT cheaper up here.

I have had absolutely no problems crossing the border with guns or ammo ... but of course I'm a US citizen who's also a permanent resident of Canada. The problems others have encountered is being checked at the US side when coming INTO Canada (and yes, US Customs does occasionally set up checkpoint for traffic entering Canada). The US does regulate how much ammo you can take out of the country. And here's an interesting item: US also regulates gun parts you can haul out of the country. Nothing over $100 without paperwork. And some gun parts cannot be exported (guess which ones!). As far as I know there's no US regulations on how many guns an individual can take to Canada but if no Form 6 it can be a problem bringing them back. I'm an exception. Actually had the US customs folks check a couple of years back when I crossed on my way to hunt in Montana. They didn't know if I needed Form 6 and called to Seattle head office while I had coffee and stretched my legs (3:00 a.m.). No Form 6 needed for my guns. Other US folks must declare guns when crossing the border and fill out application for temporary Canadian possession license (usually granted on the spot). Requires a purpose for bringing gun (hunting license, guide invited, etc). Same for Canadian trying to bring a gun into US. Non-citizens do not have Constitutional right to bear arms.

So ... to answer your question, maybe check for regs on both sides if you're planning to bring some of that ammo back. I would advise everyone against taking ANY pistol ammo along when crossing into Canada, even empty cases. Though as far as I know it's legal to transport, they will tear your car apart looking for an illegal handgun if they find ammo.

they will tear your car apart looking for an illegal handgun if they find ammo.
Yes they will. Passing into Waterton Ntl Park, the border agent found the clip and a little ammo from Dad's 22 plinker, so ransacked truck, camper, and personal belongings. No firearm was found, but he detained my wife for having the little canister of mace in her purse (for self defense when leaving work in darkness). He was an enthusiastic newbie on the job, so called his supervisor to assist in interrogating my wife. The supervisor said the mace is a personal defense weapon and illegal, so she could be further detained, questioned, and fined ... or relinquish the "personal weapon". She gladly gave up the little inexpensive mace, relieved to be on our way to begin a backpacking trek. Ironically, we both had large containers of bear spray, which were bazookas in relationship to a little bit of mace!

Anyhow, yes, they will search every inch of your vehicle if pistol ammo is found. (They even discovered stuff for me which I had thought I lost. They are thorough!)

When I crossed into Canada at Beaver Creek, I had the form in triplicate for my 1 shotgun.
The border agent asked that I come inside to sign the forms.
I brought the cased shotgun inside with me so the border agent could check the serial number.
He was upset that I did that....

ATF Form 6 helps establish ownership to US. This ensures owner doesn't have to pay duty on a gun when returning to US. Similarly, though a Canadian temporary export permit is not required to take guns into US (only for all other countries), it's a good idea to get one or bring along some verification of prior ownership when returning to Canada. I always bring my registration cards from the now defunct long gun registry (another reason I opposed getting rid of it). I acquired my A-5 Magnum after the demise of the registry so I bring the bill of sale with me. Of course I always carry my Canadian license to possess guns so never a problem bringing any long gun into Canada even if I somehow did manage to buy one in the US. Just declare it and pay the duty (sales tax). So, I could be quite the gun runner, right? Nope. As a US citizen I am entitled to possess guns in the US but buying one there requires a background check. US background checks do not expand across the border. Possessing a valid Canadian gun license (PAL) confirms I have a clean record and anyone can call the hotline to verify it but that's apparently not good enough for US legislators. Too bad. If it was, it would be easier for me to buy guns down there than it is for US residents. Running guns into US would be easy enough for me I guess since as I understand it no background checks are required for transactions between individuals. Do retailers perform background checks on vendors? I dunno. Anyway, I'm not interested in possessing any guns except the ones I use for hunting. Buying and selling them is not my thing, not here or there.

When I crossed into Canada at Beaver Creek, I had the form in triplicate for my 1 shotgun.
The border agent asked that I come inside to sign the forms.
I brought the cased shotgun inside with me so the border agent could check the serial number.
He was upset that I did that....
Think about it. That's a police station essentially. I suspect in many jurisdictions down there the cops would be uneasy about someone walking into the place with a gun if not requested to do so. The border agent now has to explain to his/her boss that they didn't tell you to bring the gun in. He/she should have told you to leave it in the car so they can check it there ... while you are standing safely out of the way. They always tell me to leave the guns in my car if checking my paperwork against the gun serial numbers (very rare but it has happened). Did the agent make the mistake or was it you not following instructions (albeit only trying to be helpful)?

It is worth it to digress a bit about getting guns across borders. At airports security will always need to look at the gun, and when entering a country it will be examined twice: by customs and then airport security when catching connecting flight (if applicable). Do NOT enter or walk around in an airport with an unlocked gun case, and do NOT unlock the gun case until told to. Then stand back and let the agent open the case. I have had to step forward and show an agent how to release the latches on my Pelican case (kinda tricky). Pop one latch and step back. More than once I've had to point out location of serial number on my Springfield. Then move back and give him his space. I've yet to run into anyone who can't figure out how to open the chamber to make sure it's not loaded. Sometimes I've been asked to clear the gun for them. Wait to be asked. I don't remove the bolt because I don't want it to get "lost" along the way by some anti-gun zealot baggage security agent. Removing the bolt is tricky so I doubt anyone else could get it out even if they wanted to. It's more secure in the gun than out.

Think about it. That's a police station essentially. I suspect in many jurisdictions down there the cops would be uneasy about someone walking into the place with a gun if not requested to do so. The border agent now has to explain to his/her boss that they didn't tell you to bring the gun in. He/she should have told you to leave it in the car so they can check it there ... while you are standing safely out of the way. They always tell me to leave the guns in my car if checking my paperwork against the gun serial numbers (very rare but it has happened). Did the agent make the mistake or was it you not following instructions (albeit only trying to be helpful)?
True. The previous time I did not bring inside the guns and the agent was upset as he said he needed to check the serial numbers on the paperwork with the actual serial number on the guns. The latest time was the opposite, he did not want to see the guns. Both at Beaver Creek.

Similarly with dogs and kennels in the US. I've had some TSA checks accept the dog inside kennel (last year in Missoula), others have me remove the dog as they check the kennel thoroughly (last year in Fairbanks).

True. The previous time I did not bring inside the guns and the agent was upset as he said he needed to check the serial numbers on the paperwork with the actual serial number on the guns. The latest time was the opposite, he did not want to see the guns. Both at Beaver Creek.

Similarly with dogs and kennels in the US. I've had some TSA checks accept the dog inside kennel (last year in Missoula), others have me remove the dog as they check the kennel thoroughly (last year in Fairbanks).
Ya never know. I can understand them checking the dog crate thoroughly. I'm sure many drug mules have tried smuggling dope hidden inside a kennel pad beneath a nasty pit bull. My guns have always been inspected out at the vehicle (though only inspected a couple of times coming into Canada - they usually just ask what they are and if they're unloaded). Invariably the agents always apologize for the delay and inconvenience. I always tell them the same thing: "No problem. If it helps win the war against drugs and gun smuggling, I'd gladly strip naked every time I cross borders." And I mean it. The gun smuggling from US, particularly handguns, is making life tough for us legitimate gun owners.

Those border crossings can get hairy fast. I had a buddy with me once in the vehicle behind me. We went through without any problems. And pulled over after crossing to wait for him. He got randomly searched and they found a pistol clip and a few random ammo laying around. The pistol wasn't in there but when they found the clip they came in to the little side hut where he was waiting with their guns drawn and all SWAT team crazy. It made for an interesting afternoon of watching them tear his truck apart but they never did find anything but the clip and a few rounds of 22 ammo.

This was about 15 years ago. Funny to think about now, but not so funny watching it happen.

Not handgun related at all, but 15 years ago I was told "you two need to speak with immigration" on our way into Canada. It was 4:30 am and officer Popeye waved an arm toward a darkened office. Two of us had to sweat it out while the other two guys ahead of us waited along the road a mile up. I think they were attempting to cut down on illegal guiding or something. Immigration guy wanted to know where we were staying, if we were hunting the Queens land, and then sent us on our way a few hours later.

Not an experience I would care to repeat. They never looked our guns, ammo, or the dog paperwork I had prepared for the trip. Crazy.

Not handgun related at all, but 15 years ago I was told "you two need to speak with immigration" on our way into Canada. It was 4:30 am and officer Popeye waved an arm toward a darkened office. Two of us had to sweat it out while the other two guys ahead of us waited along the road a mile up. I think they were attempting to cut down on illegal guiding or something. Immigration guy wanted to know where we were staying, if we were hunting the Queens land, and then sent us on our way a few hours later.

Not an experience I would care to repeat. They never looked our guns, ammo, or the dog paperwork I had prepared for the trip. Crazy.
That is strange. You didn't have to fill out a temporary import/possession permit?

A few years back I was hunting pheasants in Montana and returned briefly to Canada to hunt geese in SK. As I roll up to the gate I see a big red cone sitting a foot or two from the window. Didn't think anything about it and drove up to the window at Plentywood crossing. Next thing I know this agent is screaming at me to back up to the stop sign and wait till the lane is open. "Don't you know what that red cone means?" Well, I might if it was in the middle of the lane instead of over here by the doorway. "Don't get smart with me! Now back up!" Okay ... I'm not sure this guy even knows how to spell smart. He waves me up finally after several minutes. I hand him my US passport and explain I'm headed up to hunt geese. "Oh, another one of YOU guys! No temporary permit, eh? Go park and come in." Now I'm pissed. Been driving 16 hours in horrible weather and worn out. So I go in. "I don't need any gawdam permit. Can't you see those Ontario plates on my vehicle?" "Umm, oh yeah ... Do you have a PAL [gun possession license]?" It's in your hand tucked in my passport with my permanent resident ID card. "Oh ... uhh ... I see." If you wanna go out and check my guns in that subzero whiteout blizzard, be my guest. Just watch out for the dogs [licking tongues]. "No, that won't be necessary." Then, in very clear and forceful language, I advised him to stop giving hunters shit if he wanted to continue living in that community, especially bird hunters. Every year Plentywood makes big bucks from pheasant hunters.

You didn't have to fill out a temporary import/possession permit?
At that point they had already looked over our firearm paperwork.

Ironically in 2021, when returning to the US, the guy asked what was in the 16' trailer... "Decoys, dead snow geese, and dead sandhill cranes." "Have a good night." That one left us shaking our heads too, but took his advice and kept moving.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back