MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Transportation service to trail head.

I'm still an Eagles fan, but it's nice to have a 'home' team that doesn't suck :D

When I make the drive, I drop down to 70 and come across that way. From 70 he can drop straight south out of Limon on highway 71 and it runs right in to my town of Rocky Ford. Crash for the night, get a shower and a good meal or two, then head straight west on highway 50, which runs through my town, into Gunnison

Some people I know ship their camping and hunting gear ahead of time to a UPS store. This makes the flight logistics much simpler. Then you can rent a car and pick up your gear. If this is a perennial group hunt, you might be better off just renting a small storage locker for most of your gear.

John Cushman, Dude, I've been a Bills fan since I was a little kid from Warren, Pa. My moms aunt was a die hard fan, I can remember her jumping up and down in a chair in front of the TV and I just got hooked. Anyhow, if you've ever spent much time in this neck of the woods around Steelers fans,,,,, well,,,,all I'm gonna say. HAHAHA

2-0 and a fired up entire region!!! a great day for the region and a needed boost. GO BILLS

I'm in the same boat regarding travel to hunt western states. It's a time vs. money issue. I almost always pick time over money, therefore I often fly if I'm going by myself. Having someone to split gas and driving time can tip that back. It's a bit of a hassle and costs money, but I can come up with more money often times easier than I can additional days off.

In February, a pard and I flew to AZ to hunt quail and javelina. We both flew, him from ID and me from IN, and rented a car. Hunting out of a Jetta wasn't ideal, but it worked well enough and was much, much cheaper than renting a larger 4x4. I get it that won't always work, but it can.

If you are hunting with partners, can they bring most of your gear? Can you ride home with them?

Where are you shopping for these prices, because they don't jive with my experiences?

You should be able to fly for +-$350 and grab a rental vehicle for $350-550. That's about my mileage anyhow... Shout if you have any questions about that.

i have always thought the right way to do this would be to get a core group of hunters say 4 guys. you would all have to be able to fit in 1 truck so 3/4 guys is probabaly right#. then you take turns hunter 1 takes 2 weeks off and drives out to site with a loaded truck. he makes camp; sets up tent unloads truck cuts some firewood etc.... then he would go to airport and pick up hunters 2,3,4 and they just have a travel bag with them, dirve back to camp and hunt for a week. at end of week long hunt hunter 1 drives them (other hunters) back to airport and they take what they can on plane (saves room in truck for meat/antlers) then hunter 1 brakes camp and heads back to hometown in a hopefully loaded truck. other guys help him when he gets home unload meat guns etc and put everything away for year. then the following year you repeat with a different hunter do driving and rotate thru over the 4 year period. so 3 guys take off 1 week and only 1 guy has to take 2 weeks off every 4 years. subsistute time for what fits your trip but you get point. you keep costs to individual so every 4th year you got a gas bill to deal with and a little extra truck maintenance. what i have found is you need buddies (with fullsize trucks/suv's) you can rely on and easy to obtain tags to make it work. just a idea on how it would work perfect for me coming from the oceanfront to western states everyear.

Priceline.com prices Flight: $550 round trip Buffalo-Gunnison leaving oct 13 to 27 return. Avis car rental for that time period is $941 with taxes and fees for a midsize. Elk don't like to drive compacts. If I drove from Denver then It would still be the same by the time you add in gas. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who runs into these problems. I'd like to say thank you to everyone for their input here. I think having my truck on hand at the trail head with all my gear will out weigh any of my previous concerns.
I worked with a guy last night that does ushering at the stadium. He said the crowd was nuts as usual but the ticket issuing system has a bad flaw and makes people think they have a valid ticket and it's not. Lots of tears over that one. I've only been to two games and all I did was watch the cheerleaders. I'm not a big pro-sports fan. Without the cheerleaders I wouldn't go. Too many people in one place for me.lol.

I saw $342 on a flight to DEN and $730 on a rental suv on Kayak. Always book the rental car early, there is no penalty to re-book at a lower price as it fluctuates and no penalty to cancel if you have to. Just don't give them your CC#.

Alternately if you can get to Denver on 10/9 by 8am, I could probably give you a lift to Gunnison, on your own from there though. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back