Training steps

RyeGuy74

If you guys had to break down bird dog training into steps 1, 2, 3 etc. How would you do it? After basic obedience first of course. Also, I see all these training videos where people are just pulling birds out of a bag and either putting them in a launcher or setting them on the ground. How do you train a dog on a birds without having that easy of access to live birds?

Step 1: don't overdo the obedience side of things especially when it comes to the actual field work. Keep their attitude and enthusiasm up. Its a heck of alot easier to rein in a dog that LOVES to work, than to build up a dog that has been taught to heel and sit to the point that it has lost the confidence to run out and hunt on its own.

Step 2: take them hunting. Don't expect a wonder dog on the first year. Prepare them properly so they are not overwhelmed (guns, cover, mileage, etc) or so they are not a pain in the ass the whole day. But take them. Nothing beats experience.

Step 3: Join a local gun dog club. You will find access to birds there during the off season.

Are you talking first six months, first year, two years?

Obedience, obedience, obedience. Don’t mistake this for being a control freak. Your dog needs to obey commands the first time, and if they don’t you need to work on obedience.

Don’t worry about retrieving to hand the first season. Just don’t let them play grab ass with birds. That starts by preventing bad habits in the first place. Don’t overdo retrieving with bumpers. Use a check cord when they are young and you are in an open environment.

If you are going to do force fetch, you can do that when the dog is one, or the summer after the first hunting season.

By the time they are nearing two they should be getting pretty polished. Obedience with severe distractions should be key.

I absolutely agree with keeping the first season fun. In light of that, be smart about the commands you give and your expectation of the dog.

It drives me nuts to see dog handlers constantly giving their dogs direction. If your dog needs that you got the wrong bloodline. Shut up and let your dog learn to hunt

Some very good insight above.

A couple pointers. I am a pro trainer for upland. Some flushing but mostly pointing dogs.

About 90% of my methodology comes from Dave Walker, a Brittany field trialer and trainer. What he calls "stand up stand still" is a huge first step. Then being able to do that on verbally through clicks on a training collar and e-collar at same time and walking past the dog while he stays. (This translates later into walking past a dog on point without him breaking.) I am sure there are videos on this.

Another thing is that I really believe working around and in between finding planted live birds while doing obedience and stand up stand still, quartering, etc is important. Training is cyclical and and working between birds is important. When a dog breaks down hunting, it is often because he is so dang excited to be around birds. If you train with them and around them, he is more likely to do what you want in the field.

I suggest thinking about getting some pigeons. You can card them by tying a piece of cardboard so they do not fly too far away and reuse them. You don't need a huge coup. If they are born in your coup, or they have babies in there, it is easy to get them to home back with a one way door from Foys pigeon supply, which is helpful if you train near your house or get actual homing lines that will fly back from far away. The wife may not like your pet pigeons, but they are really nice to have, cheap and easy to take care of.

Spend time with your dog. Take him out into the field and get him used to being out in the wild. Teach him to come when called, whoa, get in the kennel. I road my dogs to build up their bodies. Getting your dog to travel well(and EAT!) is important. Overall I think it's just important to spend time with them doing stuff and getting them used to doing something for you.

If you don't have access to birds it's very difficult to have a good bird dog. Get some homing pigeons and a loft or a quail recall pen. Find a place you can buy or trap pigeons and just card them or use them one time. Birds are hard if you live in the city but really are necessary.

I just bought a 5 year old Britany for $100. The owner said he had $900 in her. I am new to bird dogs as well. It is obvious that she has some training, but it doesn’t feel like he hunted or worked with her in awhile. She will fetch a fake bird every once in awhile, but she is easily distracted. Sometimes she picks up the bird and goes the opposite direction. Also, she don’t seem to eat well. I have a check cord, but don’t know how to incorporate it.

There's nothing wrong with sending your dog off to be trained by a professional. Some of the best dogs I've hunted with had lots of schooling.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back