Yeti GOBOX Collection

Training for a new hunter

jquigley

I'm starting to go a little stir crazy under all this snow, maybe you guys can help me be productive. What videos, books or other tools would you point a new hunter towards? Any related topic is welcome.

As of right now I subsist on a steady diet of MeatEater DVDs and the OYOA Elk pack. Also, I just started reading a couple of the Benoit family whitetail books and Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon.

How are your map reading skills? This time of year is when I break out the maps for areas I plan on hunting, applying for, hiking in, whatever.

How are your map reading skills? This time of year is when I break out the maps for areas I plan on hunting, applying for, hiking in, whatever.

This is why I picked up the Herndon book. Theoretically I can read a map, I understand when topography lines are at least! I'm also pretty good with google earth and GPS tools. On the other hand, I'm not really sure at this stage what I am looking for when attempting to scout using these tools, if that makes any sense.

If you don't already do it, I would start reading up on small game hunting as well. That's something that, at least in this state, can be done for a quite a bit longer than big game. I like to squirrel hunt places as a way to scout for deer. I'm as guilty as the next guy in being almost too focused on big game all the time when small game can be a great time and learning tool.

Can recommend any of these specifically, but here's a list of squirrel hunting books.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:283155,k:Squirrel hunting

Other small/upland game (birds and/or rabbits) are often best done with a dog, but squirrels hunting can be done with any .22 or shotgun. Don't forget turkey hunting is around the corner, I'd pick up a few calls and drive your family/neighbors crazy with your practice.

Steiny! It's on my list!

1_pointer, thanks for the advice. I've been attempting to chase rabbits for a bit, but without a larger group or dogs it is mostly an excuse to be in the woods. I'll pick up some squirrel books and read up a bit. I'm way ahead of you about driving the neighbors crazy with turkey calls :)

reading is over rated, get out in the woods! learn how animals live year round, learn how to walk quietly, watch wind. you want to be a better hunter spend time with your prey outside of hunting season. i know the weather sucks but guess what that's what they live in, test limits of your gear and learn what works for you in the end it will pay off huge

reading is over rated, get out in the woods! learn how animals live year round, learn how to walk quietly, watch wind. you want to be a better hunter spend time with your prey outside of hunting season. i know the weather sucks but guess what that's what they live in, test limits of your gear and learn what works for you in the end it will pay off huge

I could not agree any more! Learn where animals are at, what animals are doing and ask yourself why are they doing that? I try to go snowshoeing at least 2 times a week, its good excercise, I learn something new about my area or animals in my area every time, and it is good for the soul to get outside!

I could not agree any more! Learn where animals are at, what animals are doing and ask yourself why are they doing that? I try to go snowshoeing at least 2 times a week, its good excercise, I learn something new about my area or animals in my area every time, and it is good for the soul to get outside!

Thanks for the advice on both counts. I couldn't agree more. That was a major reason I tried the relatively futile task of rabbit hunting on my own. Looking forward to getting some shed hunting done as well.

Haven't been out for awhile because I don't own snow shoes and I'm not sure I'll be sticking around New England long enough to justify the cost at the moment.

Those links will be super helpful minnesota. Thank you.

jr, I'll definitely check that out! Only 0.99 on a kindle.

Also read big woods bucks by Hal Blood. He is out of Jackman Maine. He has a couple of books that are easy reads. Real practical stuff for your neck of the woods. It should really compliment the Benoit books.

Back