Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Trailhead consideration

MThuntr

I spent a few weeks in the Bob Marshall Wilderness for work this summer. The last trip we had some people shuttle rigs from one trailhead to another. These people are not avid hikers and didn't realize they were supposed to prop open the engine hood at the trailhead in an attempt to prevent pack rats from building nests in the engine. Propping hoods open isn't a guarantee of prevention however it seems to help. After 10 days in the backcountry, I discovered some critters in my work truck's air vents. 3hr drive back home with the windows completely open so we could breathe. Happy Friday!!!

rodent capture.JPG

That's great!

When I was younger my brother and I killed dozens of packrats in my dad's vehicles. One of us would pull the hood up real fast while the other would deliver a bb from the bb gun before they could scatter. We'd wait five minutes till they came out of their hidey holes and repeat. It was a blast, and usually took multiple bbs to dispatch one of em.

I’ve actually never heard of that, thanks for the tip. In some places I might me concerned with people screwing with my vehicle...
I don't think they're a big issue in the fall hunting season but definitely something to consider in early season. It does potentially invite potential thieves to your engine compartment

I don't think they're a big issue in the fall hunting season but definitely something to consider in early season. It does potentially invite potential thieves to your engine compartment

I experienced pack rats in WY a couple of times... we had a little rat gigging rodeo using homemade gigs on one trip and I managed to catch another using a foothold trap and a potato.

I didn’t realize that keeping the good open with thwart them... like the moth ball idea as well.

Those little fellas have done some damage over the years in Washington as well. We have had some disappointing preparations for the drive home after hunting season. Truck won't start???? Hmmmm? :unsure: Who's been chewing on the spark plug wires??? Never had it happen at a trailhead but in a hunt camp a few times. Always fun getting a lift into town to pick up a spark plug harness. Mothballs do work.

On that note, Washington introduced Wolverines to the cascades 3 or so years ago. My personal thought is that the coyote/wolf/predator population was NOT keeping up with the rodent "over population". Wolverines introduced in North Cascades and within months hunters had them on game cams in the middle cascades and south cascade ranges. Those jokers get around quickly. Not sure of the impact they (Wolverines) will finally have here in Washington?

I haven't tried mothballs. The forest service posted locally that they are not to be spread around as it violates 36CFR §261.9 (f) . I'm sure if you put them in something like a cheesecloth sack and tucked them in spots that would be ok.

Plenty of nooks and crannies in the engine compartment. Those bastards chewed up the wire harness in my 97 Ford PSD and that dashboard showed me lights I hadn't seen since the last time I took acid.

No problems after stashing the mothballs.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back