Trail Camera With Programmable On-Time

COEngineer

I have a neighbor that lets their dog out at 3:30am and of course it barks non-stop. By the time I wake up and realize what is going on and get mad enough to get dressed, go outside, and record it, they let it back in. Local law enforcement won't do anything without video/audio evidence. I want to set up a trail came that will turn on and record at a programmed time for a programmed duration (with fences, etc, I don't think a motion detector will work). Does something like that exist? Or are there cameras that will record for 8 hours and then shut off (I could turn it on when I go to bed and pull the card when I get up in the morning).

I considered security cameras, but again, with the trees and fences I don't think anything attached to my house will work.

Any other ideas?

I'm not familiar with trail cameras with such a feature but the newer GoPros can be programmed to turn on at a set time and start recording. The downside is they're quite a bit more expensive than a trail camera.

Shoot the dog. Problem solved. Your family won’t have to listen to the incessant barking anymore. You won’t either since you will be serving life in prison. (More time than had you shot the neighbor).

Now I have the least helpful comment.

From what I can find online the Blink and Tactacam (and other trail cams) have a schedule capability, but it just sets the times when the motion sensor is active - it does not set the time for continuous recording. I think I am stuck running a CCTV type camera (Reolink) and temporarily mount it to a tree to get the right field of view.

almost all trail cameras let you set the time they operate. The ones in our yard are just set from 8 pm to 8 am.

Make sure you know the local laws before putting the cameras at specific angles and recording sound in your state. You don't want the law broken and your stupid neighbor getting out of anything because the law breaker has more rights than the regular citizen trying to stop stupid crap.

If it's that big of a deal couldn't you just set an alarm, wake up at 3:20 (since the dog is going to wake you up anyway) and record from an open window? Low tech solution but the most simple for sure.

If it's that big of a deal couldn't you just set an alarm, wake up at 3:20 (since the dog is going to wake you up anyway) and record from an open window? Low tech solution but the most simple for sure.
Yea, but I like sleeping. It's not always exactly 3:30...they aren't always home...I'm going to have to do it more than once (per local laws), etc, etc.

almost all trail cameras let you set the time they operate. The ones in our yard are just set from 8 pm to 8 am.
Yep, but they don't record that whole time.
_
So, I ordered a Reolink wifi camera ($100). It has to be connected to wifi to record continuously, so I might have to move the router to that corner of the house or something. With 1 camera on the Reolink server (NVR) ($200) it can record 48 hours continuously, so even if I forget to check it for a day, I can go back and find the timespan I need to save.
_
I have been thinking it would be nice to have a security camera on the driveway and maybe one each at the front/back door. So, hopefully this will be a system that serves a longer-term purpose than the dog barking problem (which is hopefully a shorter term).

Edit: I was mis-informed. I do not think there is a wireless camera that records continuously, NVR or not. I sent the Reolink wifi camera back and got 2 wired (POE - Powered Over Ethernet) cameras that are now mounted to the house. Not as convenient for placement, but records continuously, like CCTV, and has motion alerts that are easy to sort through.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a trail camera with programmable on-time settings, I'd recommend checking out some brands like Browning or Spypoint, or visit this site archerytopic.com. They often offer customizable scheduling options to capture what's happening around your place. It could help you monitor things when you're not around.
Hope that helps, and good luck with the noisy neighbor situation!

Last edited:
It sounds like what you are looking for is a Blink Camera. if your Wifi is strong enough to reach the place to put the camera, it will do what you want.

I was mis-informed. I do not think there is a wireless camera that records continuously, NVR or not. I sent the Reolink wifi camera back and got 2 wired (POE - Powered Over Ethernet) cameras that are now mounted to the house. Not as convenient for placement, but records continuously, like CCTV, and has motion alerts that are easy to sort through.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back