Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Trail Cam basic question

MThuntr

I'm looking at a few trail cams. I get deals on a few and others I see sales coming up but want to make as few purchases as possible to save shipping costs. I'm heavily leaning toward a couple Browning cameras but may snag a few that aren't top of the line for areas animals tend to hang out like watering holes since trigger speed can be a bit slower on those areas.

1) SD card sizing...how big of a card is necessary? How many cards do you have for each camera?
Many cameras are 18mp and HD video (I'm sure quality can be adjusted a bit to save space). I want to avoid buy a $50 card if a $20 card will work just fine.

2) External battery packs...many cameras have options for external battery packs. Are they necessary if I plan to visit the camera every 2-3 weeks?

1. Brownings are the best bang for the buck I have found. I still use other cameras that I've purchased in past or got on a good sale, but browning has been dependable and just great all around. Another plus on most brownings is they only take 6 batteries instead of 8.

2. I use sandisk ultra plus 32GB cards and get them for under $20 and have never failed me. 4 and 8 GB will do just fine also. I have 2 cards for every camera so when I check them I can just switch them out quickly and be on my way instead of checking the pics in the field.

3. I have 2 browning cams out there right now that are still running on Energizer industrial AAs from last september. Checked them 2 weeks ago and both were about 25% battery life left. So external battery should not be needed for regular use like your suggesting. If you were researching and leaving the cam for months at a time then yes.

I use a couple super cheap primos bulletproof cams for places that dont need the trigger speed. Super simple just put card in and flip switch. Have had good luck with them in those water cooler spots.

Screenshot_20200608-220617_Google.jpg

I bought my first trail cams last fall, two Browning Strike Force Extremes, and have been very pleased. They aren't top shelf but work great! Want to emphasize everything @Hilljackoutlaw stated, solid advice. I use a 32 GB card and lithium batteries that last forever; no need for an external pack. I buy all my lithiums and SD cards on amazon. Recently a pack of 24 AA lithiums was $29 and the 32 GB SD card is $9.

Here's the SD card link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0143RT8OY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Idk if you've decided on cams yet but this site really helped me as it compares all cams metrics: https://www.trailcampro.com/collections/trail-camera-reviews

Good Luck!

I just get a padlock and 6’ bike lock cable. Wrap cable around tree and put the lock thru both ends of the cable and the locking hole on the camera.

I like to hang mine over head. Just high enough to require a lot of effort or a climbing stick to steal.
I also find that the bears don’t mess with them as often when they’re higher up.

Back