Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Traditional Cap Guns - Let's See 'em!

I bought a 54 cal T/C Renegade around 1980 but sold it to my brother after shooting a whitetail. He shot a couple of elk with it. We used Maxi-Balls back then. I bought another one at an auction a couple years ago and put it away. I finally pulled it out and shot it this year, less than week before our primitive weapon season. I was pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of a round ball on a deer.
That was a NICE buck you sent me the picture of.

Talking to the enforcement guys, some say this means no gas check of any kind...
I thought that too then ran across a FAQ on the IDFG website that specifically says a plastic gas check on a Powerbelt is not a sabot.

Surprised me. :unsure: I shoot RBs out of my.50 but a friend used the PBs.

That was a NICE buck you sent me the picture of.
I didn’t remember this thread until after I posted a photo of my buck in the “As They Lay” thread so I was hesitant to re-post here. However, since I don’t shoot that much stuff, here is an “After I Moved Him” photo. I used a .530 round ball, too thick of a patch (.018), and Pyrodex RS. Electrician tape over the muzzle and Elf on the Shelf Red finger nail polish around the cap and nipple helped ensure ignition on this blustery day.

FYI - it is a nicer photo than buck. 😀
227DBEC3-905D-466F-9BB9-9AD4D7F42396.jpeg

TC 50 cal renegade, replaced the original barrel with Green Mountain carbine barrel. Shot a lot of game with it, but eventually upgraded to scoped inline because of eyesight problems mostly. Here's a nice AZ buck from 2005, and NM elk from 2006 (which I think is the last thing I shot with it)

20210123_093339.jpg
20210123_093254.jpg

I just bought this Hawken .50. It will be my new muley hunter. I would have got a .54 but that would be more for elk and my elk days are done now.

edit.....I just changed the order to a .54 flintlock. A lighter barrel will help my lousy back and the flintlock will free me of finding percussion caps anymore. Guys can hoard them all they want. It won't bother me anymore. Besides flintlocks are more fun.

Lyman Signature Series built by Pedersoli.

Attachments

• lyman-great-plains-rifle-signature-series-percussion-50-cal-6034000.jpg
    lyman-great-plains-rifle-signature-series-percussion-50-cal-6034000.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I hate to admit this, I got a Traditional kit for xmas 20+ years ago. I still haven't put it together. I told my buddy if I don't put it together this winter, to punch me in the ear.
Oh wow. Yeah, no, sir, you may not be interested in traditional muzzleloading.

I just bought this Hawken .50. It will be my new muley hunter. I would have got a .54 but that would be more for elk and my elk days are done now.

edit.....I just changed the order to a .54 flintlock. A lighter barrel will help my lousy back and the flintlock will free me of finding percussion caps anymore. Guys can hoard them all they want. It won't bother me anymore. Besides flintlocks are more fun.

Lyman Signature Series built by Pedersoli.
Start sourcing flints now......

They've been sold out too.

Check the specs on your new pedersoli/Lyman. Depending on what you want, I think the 50's are a fast twist. And, the .54's are a slow twist for the patched round balls.

I changed back to the caplock because I found a place to sell me 1000 RWS 1075 #11 caps. Plus, I don't need a .54 for just deer. My elk days are over.

Plus, there never was a Hawken half stock flintlock. I like to keep it as real as possible.

As for the twist. The .50 is 1-48 but has .012 deep grooves which is for a round ball. The original Hawken Brothers guns were 1-48 twist.

The problem with 1-48 twist production guns like TC, Traditions, etc is they made 1-48 twist barrels with a shallow grooves. Made for conicals and just so-so for a round ball. The Pedersoli I bought is made for the PRB or I wouldn't have bought it. It's all I shoot.

I just bought this one. Custom build with Ron Long lock and trigger. Douglas barrel in .54. A good Hawken replica.

fullsizerender-jpg.78955

fullsizerender_2-jpg.78957

fullsizerender_1-jpg.78956

Yes, it's a grade 5 curly maple. Not a lot of the original Hawken rifles had such fancy wood but some of them did if the customer wanted to pay for it.

I've always been a plain walnut kind of guy but I thought i'd try some fancy maple. It does give the gun a nice look.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back