Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Traditional archery season?

Firedude

Ok. So a few buddies and me have been chatting about how some seasons are getting shorter or becoming draw only. Think Antelope. Used to be over the counter archery, then draw unlimited, now draw every other year, etc. Capped tag numbers are another thought. I can't help but see where this may go in 10 years with how popular hunting is getting.

We thought about suggesting a trad archery only season when things get to that point. When you have to draw to use a compound maybe give us a few weeks of trad only. If you're at the point of limiting archery seasons maybe throw a trad bow season before you cut us off completely.

What are your guys thoughts on that before suggesting it to fish and game?

• Beginning July 1, 2021 any person whose name was drawn on a controlled pronghorn hunt for any pronghorn (including either sex, and doe and fawn) is not eligible in the following one (1) year to apply for any controlled hunt for pronghorn. For example, a hunter who draws a tag for pronghorn in 2021 cannot apply for another pronghorn hunt until 2023, in the first application period
    Exceptions to controlled hunt waiting periods:
  • A person drawn in the previous year remains eligible to apply for controlled hunts (for the respective species drawn) in the second application period during August, controlled hunts with an unlimited number of tags, or Landowner Appreciation Program hunts.

Controlled hunts with unlimited tags can hunt every season.

Not against separate controlled hunts to reduce crowding. Separate traditional archery hunts would be good.

Hit a garden thief in the elbow last night and had to chase it down with a walking stick but it still counts as #trad so I’m better than the others @TheTone
68CFA65F-3B38-4045-9AA1-00F78AED5824.jpeg

My personal experience with every trad guy I knew being a total elitist prick and the amount of critters they crippled
Ah yes those people... They leave quite an "impression". Like anything else you get those guys. I had to pause for a minute to think if I've met any with traditional bowhunting. After a bit the answer was definitely yes. In fact I ran into one a week ago while bare shaft tuning my new bow at an archery shop. Had every reason in the world why my bow I built would neeeever work as well as his custom bow.
Really most traditional guys I know will be seen with a recurve, or compound, or flask, or ibuprofen bottle (We are beggining to age.) about as frequently as anything else. For us it's just a fun thing to do once in a while. Like switching from semi auto to over under shotgun just because you like to shoot it.

Wounding as well brings up a fair point. But to be fair, I'm finding gross amounts of game with Itty bitty carbon arrows in bad places every year as well. People are pushing limits with both types of bows.

The same people with 120 yard pins on their compound will instinctively shoot to 50 (or 60!) with their recurve. The device in their hand doesn't alter what is in their heads. But. in spite of all that I would like to see archery as traditional and blackpowder go back to flintlock. Make it as it was instead of trying to re-invent the wheel into a Ferrari.

Making them work harder would weed out a lot of undesirables

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back