Trad Hunters Near Great Falls, MT

JimQ

Thought I would just put this out there. Last year I went bow hunting with a guy from work who has killed a lot of elk over the years (all with a rifle) and has recently gotten into archery. However he does not practice with his bow and has a pretty arrogant attitude about it...(I have killed lots of elk so I know what I am doing). I hunt in the Little Belts and was hoping there is another trad hunter near by that may be looking for a hunting partner this year. I am particular about my hunting partners ethics and attitudes. I was raised to believe in Fair Chase and not taking your shot til you are sure of a kill. I sure don't claim to be a great hunter but I am a passionate hunter. It is nice to hunt by yourself at times however at my age (54) it would be nice to have a hunting companion.

Thought I would just put this out there. Last year I went bow hunting with a guy from work who has killed a lot of elk over the years (all with a rifle) and has recently gotten into archery. However he does not practice with his bow and has a pretty arrogant attitude about it...(I have killed lots of elk so I know what I am doing). I hunt in the Little Belts and was hoping there is another trad hunter near by that may be looking for a hunting partner this year. I am particular about my hunting partners ethics and attitudes. I was raised to believe in Fair Chase and not taking your shot til you are sure of a kill. I sure don't claim to be a great hunter but I am a passionate hunter. It is nice to hunt by yourself at times however at my age (54) it would be nice to have a hunting companion.
Hey Jim- Saw your post & thought I would reach out to you. I am looking for the same thing as you in a hunting partner. I too am particular in who I choose to be around. PM me sometime and we can chat.

Hey Jim- Saw your post & thought I would reach out to you. I am looking for the same thing as you in a hunting partner. I too am particular in who I choose to be around. PM me sometime and we can chat.
Hey Raisin Bran. Tried to send a PM but it wouldn’t let me. Check your account to see if you are allowing messages

Obviously, I'm a little late to the party. Glad to see some other trad hunters on here. I am located in Great Falls and am always looking for other trad hunters to shoot with. I'd also be interested in getting together for a Hunt or two. If either of you are interested in getting together and shooting or hunting, I'm more than game. I don't think I have 10 posts under my belt yet so I may not be able to PM. Good luck this season, and I look forward to hearing back from y'all.

I did find a new hunting partner Spahr however he lives in Bozeman so not much time to shoot together. Haven't had the chance to shoot with another trad hunter in a long time. if you are interested in just doing some shooting give me a holler.

Ok I have to own this one. I had a dip switch moment. I saw this thread and had no clue what TRAD was. Then it sunk in. Feel free to hit me with the ridicule. What makes it worse is I shot a recurve for years growing up.

With that being said. Traditional is something that interests me more and more where do I look for further education. I think it's time to take the training wheels off.

Ok I have to own this one. I had a dip switch moment. I saw this thread and had no clue what TRAD was. Then it sunk in. Feel free to hit me with the ridicule. What makes it worse is I shot a recurve for years growing up.

With that being said. Traditional is something that interests me more and more where do I look for further education. I think it's time to take the training wheels off.
@Hunter4Life78 no worries. I try not to get hung up on the vernacular of things. If you’re interesting in traditional archery the Traditional Bowhunters of Montana is a great resource with members across the state. Some towns, depending on where you’re at, might even have. Traditional league as part of the normal archery leagues. As far as education, YouTube has a ton of good videos on form, bow set up etc. Clay Hayes puts out some good info in my opinion. If you’re super serious Tom Clum’s solid archery mechanics is a good series, but not a cheap option.

Last edited:

Lol it happens to the best of us. I want on my gravestone the epithet “I lived my life with flashes of genius overshadowed by moments of stupidity” That being said YouTube has a wealth of knowledge. Look up Clay Hayes and the stick bow boys. Great place to start. Once you go Trad the compound becomes a passing fad. Good luck

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back