Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tracked Atv

802flyfish

Anyone have tracks on their ATV/UTV?
Debating how useful they would be for recreational and hunting purposes. I’m currently tight on storage so getting a dedicated snow machine isn’t an option.

Last edited:
Tracks are just as expensive as a used sled; they also take up space.

I have a UTV and ATV; I bought a sled as well. Economics and complexity of tracks didn’t make sense to me.

I have tracks on my quad but only use it for ice fishing. I used to use it to plow but bought a snowblower for that.

The tracks will float over a lot of slush and any snow. It can go nearly anywhere.

The tracks aren't lawn friendly once the ground is thawed. You lose a lot of top end speed and the turning radius is much bigger.

They're easy to switch from tracks to tires, an hour at most.

The badass factor makes up for any deficits😁
FB_IMG_1556262225218.jpg

Been out with a good friend, also my boss, in his tracked side by side. Great little tank going through the snow. The all-season tracks are the way to go, don't think I would want the snow-only (slide rails-no bogey wheels) tracks just because of spring use where the snow may be gone on the south facing sides but still in the timber. An enclosed cab with heater is the ticket. Think it would be great for something like wolf hunting/trapping. If you are in powder snow, the tracks throw a lot of snow onto the rider if on a 4 wheeler, more so than on a snowmobile.IMG_0035.jpgIMG_0033.jpg69739884362__6A9BC510-BFB2-414E-90F7-2F4C13460C51.jpg

Last edited:
Just beware tracked vehicles are not allowed on designated snowmobile trails in Montana. Each state may have different rules regarding the allowed usage of snowmobile trails. The USFS designate snowmobiles only from December 1st to May 1st for much of the road systems per their travel plan.

I’ve used them a fair amount for work on both a CanAm and a Suzuki kingquad. They don’t replace a true sled in deep snow, but they’re awesome for drifts and crusty, wind blown, patchy stuff. You need a machine with a little more horsepower to use them effectively. If I had the money I’d definitely own a good side by side with a set of tracks.

Just beware tracked vehicles are not allowed on designated snowmobile trails in Montana. Each state may have different rules regarding the allowed usage of snowmobile trails. The USFS designate snowmobiles only from December 1st to May 1st for much of the road systems per their travel plan.

Thanks for the info Dan. My main objective is FS roads during Elk and Bear season. I need to call the FS to get clarification on a few things before I can justify the cost of tracks.

We have tracks for Defender. They are terribly hard on the front end. They don't float as well as you would think. If you want to travel and make time they are not the way to go.
The tracks seem to work better on ATV's than UTV's. But you need a lot of cc's to use them.
They are fun somewhat but if you ford creeks and get the tracks wet they can freeze up and come off. Carry a rubber mallet to beat the ice out of tracks.
Just our two cents and what we've found out from usage.

I use a tracked ranger with an enclosed cab and heater for work. Unless you have other uses than hunting or do a whole lot of late season hunting not sure it's worth it, they're handy for sure, but as others have mentioned, they add a lot of wear and tear, and you're basically running full throttle most of the time to get a decent speed due to the gear ratio.

My dad has them on a can-am defender and outlander. Pretty much unstoppable in mud and most snow. Deep powder can be slightly challenging. From what we've seen it's tough to have the right situation to warrant having tracks on for elk hunting. I can see it working if you're driving and trailering the tracked unit to where the road is blocked with snow then continue on with the tracked unit. If you want to drive from camp on large tracks of road that are drivable by pick-up, the tracked unit will suck. It'll feel like you're beating the hell outa your machine. But if the road is snowed in you'll be able to make it back there!

Let me know how the tracks do. Really excited for the updated redesign of the Apache tracks. Looks like they addressed all the issues listed above. 25% increase in floatation, beefier frame, dampeners, better geometry & angles, less fuel consumption, and higher top end speed..

Last edited:
If my loudly obnoxious UTV chained up can't go there, then it's time to break out snowshoes and enjoy the quiet winter trails.
This old guy yells at clouds and at loud motorized vehicles in otherwise peaceful winter backcountry.

You may sling barbs at me now ... just don't judge me for my preferences. :)

Couldn't guys driving pickups say the same thing about your UTV?

I’m going to sell my snow machine and buy tracks for my quad instead. Yes they don’t go as fast as a sled but way more pulling power and honestly my quad has way less mechanical issues then my sled. Something always seems to be broken on it when I need it

Can anyone else comment on usage in Montana? We’re moving to Madison county this summer. So will be exploring the Gravelly range and surrounding areas.

Can anyone else comment on usage in Montana? We’re moving to Madison county this summer. So will be exploring the Gravelly range and surrounding areas.
So, the pictures that I posted above, we were riding out of Haugan and all we had to have was a grooming permit. No problem there with the tracked side by side on groomed trails. Will say that they are not the ticket on groomed trails, rougher than a cob if there are any moguls at all. They really shine when you get off the groomed trails and are poking along. With tracks it is about a 40% gear reduction.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back