Toy Hauler for a 1/2 Ton?

Do any of you guys tow a Toy Hauler with a 1/2 ton? I have been looking around for a Toy Hauler that I can utilize for hunting/ camping but not have to purchase a new truck to do it. I could go out and buy a diesel but my truck is paid off and has under 75k, I really do not want a new truck payment. I have a 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost (not looking to get into the Ford VS Chevy VS Dodge battle here), which Ford says is rated to tow 12,200 lbs. I would obviously want to stay as far under that max tow rating as possible. I have been looking at the NOBO 19.1T which seems light weight enough, 4264Lbs, add in my UTV, gas, gear, and people; I think I could pull that although I won't be winning any races up the mountain. I would also like to be able to fit a UTV inside and I think the interior height on the NOBO might be to short. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt
I had a 2012 forest river freedom express 26’ that I pulled with a Nissan Titan. I sold it about 5 years ago but it was lightweight and fit a side by side in the back. It weighed around 4900 empty With a gvwr around 8000. It was actually perfect for a 1/2 ton and took me about 10 minutes to sell since 1/2 ton towable toy haulers seem to be a hot commodity.

When I was camper shopping a couple years ago I considered a toy hauler with my half ton. To stay in the load range I could only look at the smaller toy haulers and didn't care for many of the other camper options that were more important to me. It was never about the engine power but seemed the tongue weight was more important in how the camper was going to tow. I figured I would need air bags if I wanted the toy hauler.

As someone mentioned before, towing heavy with a half ton in windy conditions is tough. My half ton and 7k pound camper gets thrown around easily in the wind. Sometimes scary.

I've pulled trailers (horse & Campers) most of my life. If you plan on towing anything bigger than a little camper, get a 3/4 Ton. The little 1/2 T may pull it, but it won't handle it unless things are perfect. Big difference between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. Being able to tow something and that vehicle being able to handle it are two completely different things.

I have pulled big enclosed snowmobile trailers with the truck and you are all absolutely correct, the crosswinds are nuts and scary. I forgot about that. What about something like below? I actually do not think they make them anymore (maybe I could find a used one) but I am think maybe it will be less affected by crosswind?

https://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/129-0607-2006-fleetwood-scorpion-s2-camper-hauler/
Those scorpions are really cool, good luck finding one, I looked for quite a while and very few out there. The major downside to the scorpion is the crazy tongue weight empty, it's something like 1200 lbs empty. Loaded with a utv on the back it would take a bunch of the tongue weight off but still very heavy.

I tow a 30ft trailer with half ton. Southeast idaho to Southern Arizona all 900 mountain passes were handled no problem. You'll be just fine.

I weighed my toyhauler loaded this summer.
With a Honda Rancher and similar sized Yamaha, full water, full fuel station and our usual items it was right at 8000.
That is for a 2008 Layton. Dry weight listed right at 5k.
I pull with a 03 gmc with the 8.1 and at times for fleeting second consider trading for a diesel.
I have never heard anyone say they had too much towing power.

The toyhauler takes a few practice runs in how the bikes are loaded to get proper tongue weight but then pulls great.
I would try it with the 1/2 ton knowing you might have to upgrade in the future.

i have a carson 16 ft toyhauler i will be selling soon,,its a 2010 in decent shape but needing the floor repaired if your on a budget and can come get it in oregon,,its around 4000lb when empty,,price negotiable,but looking for around 8 k

I just pulled my Nash 17K which is easily 5000lbs loaded with a brand new f-150 3.5 and max tow pkg. Pulls it just fine but the truck dances around a bit from wind and hwy ruts. Got a whopping 7mpg, friend with 30K miles on his gets about 10 mpg.

I pulled an XLR Hyperlite 27HFS for several years with a 2010 F-150 and no issues. It was a great setup.

I got a good Equal-i-zer brand hitch for sway control and it was solid as a rock all over the west.

Last edited:
Back