Toy Hauler for a 1/2 Ton?

AZbywayofWI

Do any of you guys tow a Toy Hauler with a 1/2 ton? I have been looking around for a Toy Hauler that I can utilize for hunting/ camping but not have to purchase a new truck to do it. I could go out and buy a diesel but my truck is paid off and has under 75k, I really do not want a new truck payment. I have a 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost (not looking to get into the Ford VS Chevy VS Dodge battle here), which Ford says is rated to tow 12,200 lbs. I would obviously want to stay as far under that max tow rating as possible. I have been looking at the NOBO 19.1T which seems light weight enough, 4264Lbs, add in my UTV, gas, gear, and people; I think I could pull that although I won't be winning any races up the mountain. I would also like to be able to fit a UTV inside and I think the interior height on the NOBO might be to short. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:
I have one that I've been towing with my 1/2 ton for 3 years now. Toy Haulers are just going to weigh more than a regular travel trailer. The one I'm pulling weighs around 7,000 empty and has a payload capacity of 4,000 pounds on top of that. I end up loading it up to around 10,000 pounds depending on if it has a full tank of water or not. (mine holds 100 gallons of fresh water).

After my last trip to Utah going up and down the mountains my wife decided that I should get a 3/4 ton. The truck can pull it but is going 25 mph revved out in 1st gear by the time we got to the top of some of the climbs. I eventually got the engine braking figured out but that was also a revved out 1st or 2nd gear to get the engine brake to work on the gas engine.

We usually plan our routes out carefully to avoid big grades and pull at 65 mph and had done okay the last couple years with it but if you are going to be spending much time in the mountains you might look at upgrading.

Then again, my truck is older and yours is rated to tow 2,000 pounds more than mine. You could be okay. I looked at just getting a newer 1/2 ton but think the 3/4 ton will just be better based on peace of mind. Now I'm trying to figure out if I can skimp out with a gas or if I should jump all the way to a diesel. The prices on these new trucks is insane.

I have one that I've been towing with my 1/2 ton for 3 years now. Toy Haulers are just going to weigh more than a regular travel trailer. The one I'm pulling weighs around 7,000 empty and has a payload capacity of 4,000 pounds on top of that. I end up loading it up to around 10,000 pounds depending on if it has a full tank of water or not. (mine holds 100 gallons of fresh water).

After my last trip to Utah going up and down the mountains my wife decided that I should get a 3/4 ton. The truck can pull it but is going 25 mph revved out in 1st gear by the time we got to the top of some of the climbs. I eventually got the engine braking figured out but that was also a revved out 1st or 2nd gear to get the engine brake to work on the gas engine.

We usually plan our routes out carefully to avoid big grades and pull at 65 mph and had done okay the last couple years with it but if you are going to be spending much time in the mountains you might look at upgrading.

Then again, my truck is older and yours is rated to tow 2,000 pounds more than mine. You could be okay. I looked at just getting a newer 1/2 ton but think the 3/4 ton will just be better based on peace of mind. Now I'm trying to figure out if I can skimp out with a gas or if I should jump all the way to a diesel. The prices on these new trucks is insane.
Thanks for the advice! The prices on the diesel's are ridiculous but I guess ya get what ya pay for?

I towed a 6600lb dry weight travel trailer with a 2004 Ford 1/2 ton with the 5.4 Triton for a few years. It worked but wasn't ideal. Passes were tough. I also worried about having that kind of weight behind a 1/2 ton. Finally sold it and bought a 3/4 diesel. I love it for towing but pretty much hate it for everything else.

Do any of you guys tow a Toy Hauler with a 1/2 ton? I have been looking around for a Toy Hauler that I can utilize for hunting/ camping but not have to purchase a new truck to do it. I could go out and buy a diesel but my truck is paid off and has under 75k, I really do not want a new truck payment. I have a 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost (not looking to get into the Ford VS Chevy VS Dodge battle here), which Ford says is rated to tow 12,200 lbs. I would obviously want to stay as far under that max tow rating as possible. I have been looking at the NOBO 19.1T which seems light weight enough, 4264Lbs, add in my UTV, gas, gear, and people; I think I could pull that although I won't be winning any races up the mountain. I would also like to be able to fit a UTV inside and I think the interior height on the NOBO might be to short. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt
I dont have a toyhauler, but have a ice house/camper that weighs just over 4000; the old ice house we used to have was around 5000 pounds (both single axles). Towed the heavier one with a 2000 F150 5.4 and our current truck 2013 F150 3.5 ecoboost. Like JEL said, towing with the old 5.4 dog was ok but no power. Now that we have the ecoboost, its amazing what those motors have. Handles very well, and doing a quick search on your camper, it looks to have a tandem axle which I would think would make it even easier to tow. Alot of guys around here pull tandems with their 1/2 tons--but we are in flat land territory

This is the current version of what I have.

Looks like they have cut a little weight on it. Mine has the bunk beds that raise and lower in the back.

Another thing that mine has is that it is 104" wide instead of 96" wide. That lets me put a 50" Rzr and a 43" ATV in the back side by side.

What’s the HP rating for your engine? We pulled a 7k travel trailer to MT this summer with my Tundra. We hit the top of every pass at 60+ mph. Put in a good brake controller n

I don't personally but my brother does /did. On the highway it was fine and you have plenty of power and within the limits, but when you get to the hills you will also do fine, but just slower. Slower is definitely not a bad thing just be safe. Downhill is the where the flaw is. You can slow it down but not efficiently. Gearing is not low enough and your driveline is not set up for that kind of weight on mountain passes. Something will give over the long term and you just won't be happy as you will tinker with different weight balances and devices to help with this or that. Modifications aren't cheap. It can be done and I have done it in the past but the butt puckering moments are not worth it anymore. Also the wind will push you and sway your more with the lightweight rig and heavy towing. I would either go lighter camper or heavier rig.

What’s the HP rating for your engine? We pulled a 7k travel trailer to MT this summer with my Tundra. We hit the top of every pass at 60+ mph. Put in a good brake controller n
I believe its 365 HP with 420 lb-ft of torque. I did see that the new 2021 F150 3.5L Ecoboost will have 400 HP and 510 lb-Ft torque with the capability of of towing 14,200.

One last thing I'll add. I bought mine used and it had the fuel station and the built in generator. If I was buying new I know I wouldn't have sprung for those options.

They are both AWESOME. So nice not to have to deal with hauling gas cans around and being able to run the generator for a few minutes to fire up the microwave is really nice.

I don't think power is going to be your issue. I have a 2016 3.5 Ecoboost and there isn't much it won't pull. But, (and it's a big but) pulling a big enclosed trailer in a crosswind almost feels suicidal with that truck. It's terrifying. In my opinion, these trucks are just too light to safely tow these bigger trailers. Some do it, and I've tried, but I value my life (and the lives of the drivers around me) too much to tow one on a long trip at freeway speeds.

One other thought, make sure you are staying within your max vehicle payload. Anything you've added to the vehicle (topper, bumpers, etc) plus anything you have in the vehicle (you, family, dog, coolers, etc) counts towards this. It doesn't take long and you can eat that up really fast when you subtract the tongue weight of your trailer.

Me + family = 560 pounds
Dog = 60 pounds
Topper = 200 pounds
Generator, mountain bikes, gas can = 120 pounds
Factor in tongue weight, and at a 7k pound trailer we were REALLY pushing our max payload.

Get in a wreck while towing where someone dies or is injured and I guarantee you one of the first thing the attorneys will look at is if you were within not just your tow rating, but also your max payload. I've exceeded ratings and I'm still alive, but they are there for a reason and every time you go over you're hanging your ass out.

I don't think power is going to be your issue. I have a 2016 3.5 Ecoboost and there isn't much it won't pull. But, (and it's a big but) pulling a big enclosed trailer in a crosswind almost feels suicidal with that truck. It's terrifying. In my opinion, these trucks are just too light to safely tow these bigger trailers. Some do it, and I've tried, but I value my life (and the lives of the drivers around me) too much to tow one on a long trip at freeway speeds.

Keep in mind that the toy haulers are almost 2' higher than a regular travel trailer as well so the wind affects them even more. Even a 15 or 20 mph wind can add some pucker factor. I've pulled mine once in 30 mph cross wind on a narrow Montana 2 lane highway with zero shoulder and was white knuckled and going 55 mph the entire time, sometimes slowing to 45 mph dropping in and out of small valleys that were really funneling the wind. The weight distributing hitches help a lot but it still isn't fun in the wind. If the wind got over 30 I would leave it parked.

I would not hesitate to pull something like that. I pull my 19' boat all day long without a second thought. It's the higher profile enclosed trailers that are scary.

There are still some of those types around. The ones I've seen are hard sided in the back with the ATV area in the front. You wouldn't be able to put a UTV on any of those that I've seen though. They all have the machines loading from the side and a UTV is going to be too long to go on there sideways.

I have researched this topic for the past year.

This simple answer, very limited options are available. The only option that i was considering is a 20' ATC toy hauler. It's a shorter trailer and the all-aluminum construction allows you to keep the weight manageable. If you go this route, keep in mind, you will need to verify your trailer is equipped with the 5200lbs axles, otherwise, it won't be able to haul toys.

After hours of reading forums, it definitely comes down to safety. The new ford ecoboosts can tow upwards of 12,000 lbs (This is the truck I have). However, the crosswinds on this big toy hauler are extremely dangerous and a 1/2 ton truck just doesn't have the braking system or the weight to safely keep you and your family on the road.

If you are going to buy one - minimize your wind profile the best you can, and keep the weight as low as possible.

I ended up with a motorhome - I can bring the toys, but all the dirt, oil, and gas stays outside on a flatbed trailer.

You’ll be fine. Mine is 380 hp.
One advantage of that Tundra is the low rear end gear ratio. That makes a huge difference with towing no matter what the HP and tq numbers are.

When I was a kid my dad had a 6.0 3/4 ton silverado with 3.73 gears. A family friend had the exact same truck with 4:10. They had the same model and year of travel trailers and the 4:10 truck out-pulled in the mountains like my dad's truck was a v6.

One advantage of that Tundra is the low rear end gear ratio. That makes a huge difference with towing no matter what the HP and tq numbers are.

When I was a kid my dad had a 6.0 3/4 ton silverado with 3.73 gears. A family friend had the exact same truck with 4:10. They had the same model and year of travel trailers and the 4:10 truck out-pulled in the mountains like my dad's truck was a v6.
True.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back