Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Top 5 westerns

Everyone who likes Westerns should read Annie Proulx... she is just fantastic. Her short story you reference is very good in print form but honestly isn't even scratching the surface of how good her short fiction can be.
Negative Sir
Wyoming Stories made Old County seem like a Disney tale. I'll never choose to read it again, certainly never while camping in Wyoming...

Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2 were tremendous games. The second, especially

Am I the only one who has seen Lightning Jack, with Paul Hogan? Basically a Crocodile Dundee knockoff, but pretty funny
No my brother and I watched that probably 1,000 times as kids. I remember seeing that in the theater. Need to get it and watch it with my boys, classic.

Since we are just throwing titles out now and someone mentioned Will Penny, another great movie; I was reminded of Tom Horn, Joe Kidd and The Shootist. All movies of when the west was sort of won and modern equipment and ideas taking over.
I discovered Tom Horn a few years ago. Couldn't believe I'd never saw it before that.

Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2 were tremendous games. The second, especially

Am I the only one who has seen Lightning Jack, with Paul Hogan? Basically a Crocodile Dundee knockoff, but pretty funny
Loved it hogan and Cuba did well. Always felt Shanghai noon was a bit of a copy that ended up being more popular. Pretty different story line but both lean heavily on the "odd fellows" partnership scheme hell the training montage at the cabin are very similar.

Loved it hogan and Cuba did well. Always felt Shanghai noon was a bit of a copy that ended up being more popular. Pretty different story line but both lean heavily on the "odd fellows" partnership scheme hell the training montage at the cabin are very similar.
100%

Remind me again what direction "left" on the map is? ;)
View attachment 262947
Got some contradictions here. The sun always comes up in the east and the sun comes up first in Australia, on the other hand it is closer to fly South West to get there. Most in the western US would say that Europe is to the east, but to fly from Seattle to Europe you start flying more north than east.

This is why Al Gore created the internet, so people that have never meet, can jab each other about meaningless stuff in real time form a 1000 miles away.;)

Got some contradictions here. The sun always comes up in the east and the sun comes up first in Australia, on the other hand it is closer to fly South West to get there. Most in the western US would say that Europe is to the east, but to fly from Seattle to Europe you start flying more north than east.

This is why Al Gore created the internet, so people that have never meet, can jab each other about meaningless stuff in real time form a 1000 miles away.;)
Exactly

There seems to be a division in why people have a favorite. Is it a good depiction of the real West, or is it entertaining.

Little Big Man was entertaining, Monte Walsh was an accurate depiction of the real West. I tend to look for accurate entertainment, although one of my favorites is John Wayne’s True Grit, and to think an old Marshall and a young girl could actually hunt down a real killer is unrealistic.

How Hollywood was able to make such an accurate depiction of the closing of the open range as was exhibited in Monte Walsh with Lee Marvin in the early 1970’s when Westerns were mostly poorly propped with wrong attire and guns not within the time frame that the movie represented.

TV westerns gave everyone the idea that cowboys all wore Colt revolvers all of the time with low slung holsters and Winchester 1892 rifles, even before 1892. Monte Walsh was so much better in the accuracy of the dress and equipment as it showed the passing of the unfenced west into a more civilized country.

These are a few reasons I watch Westerns. I do like the genre, but accuracy means as much as the entertainment value in a movie and painting a town red or gunfights in the street, hurt the entertainment aspect as you know that didn’t happen in the real west…

There seems to be a division in why people have a favorite. Is it a good depiction of the real West, or is it entertaining.

Little Big Man was entertaining, Monte Walsh was an accurate depiction of the real West. I tend to look for accurate entertainment, although one of my favorites is John Wayne’s True Grit, and to think an old Marshall and a young girl could actually hunt down a real killer is unrealistic.

How Hollywood was able to make such an accurate depiction of the closing of the open range as was exhibited in Monte Walsh with Lee Marvin in the early 1970’s when Westerns were mostly poorly propped with wrong attire and guns not within the time frame that the movie represented.

TV westerns gave everyone the idea that cowboys all wore Colt revolvers all of the time with low slung holsters and Winchester 1892 rifles, even before 1892. Monte Walsh was so much better in the accuracy of the dress and equipment as it showed the passing of the unfenced west into a more civilized country.

These are a few reasons I watch Westerns. I do like the genre, but accuracy means as much as the entertainment value in a movie and painting a town red or gunfights in the street, hurt the entertainment aspect as you know that didn’t happen in the real west…
The whole genre is based on a myth as to what it was like in the old west. Very little accuracy to start with. Sometimes the best part of watching the movie is to point out all the things that are wrong with the props. I watched one movie that I couldn't even tell you the name or almost anything about it, but one scene will forever stick in my mind. They were shooting at each other with muskets and one fellow fell dead in the river. For dramatic affect the camera zoomed in on the guy's musket and followed it as it floated down stream. One of the funniest scenes ever.

1. Tombstone

2. The Revenant
3. Open Range
4. Jeremiah Johnson
5. Any western movie with Clint Eastwood or John Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
Back