Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Top 5 Tags

I’d like to keep my strategy simple. As an eastern guy, I don’t see myself hunting every state out west. I’d like to have 2-3 that I get to know over the years. And have ample opportunity.

I’m thinking of adding Wyoming elk into my plan. That way my point strategy is WY and MT then I see ID as my OTC opportunity. I love NM so maybe someday I’ll throw my name in the hat there.

I dont really do the point thing unless the number is low. With the exception as a wy res sheep and moosepoints: no points elk/deer/lope. everywhere else point creep aint worth playing. I am looking for a tag within 3-5 years any thing longer no interest. To many good easy to get tags out there that are cheaper (less fees) and just as fun. I would rather shot 3 elk a season every year (like i do) than maybe just one monster maybe 20+ years from now. Honestly i am good with bunches of 300-350ish bulls, love to hunt to much to play point creep, and the creep is only gonna get worse...

I'll clarify my response just a bit in that I don't intend to ever really get above 3 points anywhere before I burn them. My goal is to hunt elk every year either through a draw or OTC tag somewhere.

Regarding the bolded part above, please remember that for most of us coming from the east it's an entirely different scenario that what you're dealing with living in Wyoming. The above is not likely possible for someone like me on points, let alone OTC/leftover somewhere.

I just ago across the board for the most part in every state except the three west coast states . The five tags I wanted five years ago aren't what I want now. Well except for pretty much every sheep tag I apply for.

If you are new to buying preference points I would skip Colorado altogether. Only the highest point holders get to go on the hunt every year. There is no randomness to their system. You will most likely never get to go on the hunt you would like to go on or you will be a very old man waiting for a few other guys to die so you can get ahead of them.

There are plenty of tags you can get for a couple of points in CO. You just won’t be able to draw on of the glory tags.

If You want Quality over Quantity then Arizona Strip and Kaibab for deer and Elk. Monster can be had in every unit. It will take You a while unless your Lucky. If You wanna hunt deer every 3-4 years COLO. or Montana.........BOB!

I save for eastern Colorado deer and pronghorn. Been saving too long for Colorado elk. I also put in for Wyoming deer and pronghorn.

Reactions: LCH
I am actively getting out of the points game. It's just a gimmick to get you to spend more money. The only state I'll still get points in is WY and just because there's basically zero OTC for NR (except NE lopes). Every time I draw a tag requiring points I stop putting in for them. The savings in points alone is almost paying for a ID elk tag every other year.

I've already hit the point my where my father-in-law is aging out of hunting. It seemed like we were some young guys when we started putting in. Now I gotta burn some CO points in short order before he is done altogether.

My 5 would be:
1. WY Antelope
2. WY Elk
3. CO Deer
4. MT Antelope
5. WY Deer

Between 5 different point positions, you could hunt 1-2 a year pretty easy. I work what I would apply for to draw vs build points based on my hunting goals for that year. I also hunt in my home state every year, so that is why I would limit it to 1-2 out of state tags a year.

Haven't been west yet but my son and I have 3 points apiece for deer, elk, and antelope in Wyoming, a preference point a piece for the combo in Montana, and a point apiece for deer and elk in Colorado. Also going to put in for some quota hunts in Idaho and start building g bonus points in Montana.

Probably going to start buying anrelope points in Colorado since we have to buy the small game license anyway.

We are looking at doing Montana deer combo for our first western hunt next year.

Wow that is way more than 5.

For me it’s:
1. Arizona Elk
2. Wyoming Elk
3. Montana Elk/Deer Combo
4. Colorado Elk
5. Wyoming Antelope or Deer

I figure doing one hunt a year (all I can swing at this stage in life) I can cycle through these tags. I have no plans to accumulate more than 7 or 8 points for any particular hunt and I may get that many or more just trying to cycle through the hunts I want to do. I limited the list to 5 as per the Op’s Request, but there are easily 5 more I could add including:

6. Colorado Deer
7. New Mexico Elk
8. Idaho Elk
9. Arizona Deer
10. Alaska coastal black bear

I am roughly planning a Wyoming hunt where I go after antelope, deer, and elk back to back to back. Not looking for score on any, just a representative animal for each. Now that’ll be a challenge.

1. Arizona Deer to build points for December Coues buck tag
2. Wyoming Pronghorn
3. New Mexico Aoudad/Barbary Sheep (no points, may draw each year apply or never)
4. Idaho Moose (no points, may draw Year 1 or never)
5. Wyoming Elk

You will be out some significant license fees with the above strategies though over the next 20 years will likely draw each of those tags once or twice except for Idaho Moose which is once in a lifetime.

If have some more money to toss around chasing hunts through draws then:

6. Alaska Mountain Goat
7. New Mexico Elk
8. Alaska Dall Sheep
9. Arizona Elk
10. Oregon Roosevelt Elk

Back