Tom long beard live hunt

Sometimes calling works, sometimes doing something "random and stupid" is enough to call in a tom (in your case two!) just to make you laugh at yourself.

I'm enjoying the as-it-happens report from the field.

Well now I’m just in a foul mood. I’m hunting on a private piece today, my in-laws property. I should be the only one that is out here. Last fall, I left a climber tree stand attached to the base of the tree. I figured I’d grab it today. It’s gone. All that’s left is the bungee strap I wrap around it to keep the two pieces together and quieter.

On top of that I’ve only heard 2 gobbles anywhere close to where I’m at.

Well now I’m just in a foul mood. I’m hunting on a private piece today, my in-laws property. I should be the only one that is out here. Last fall, I left a climber tree stand attached to the base of the tree. I figured I’d grab it today. It’s gone. All that’s left is the bungee strap I wrap around it to keep the two pieces together and quieter.

On top of that I’ve only heard 2 gobbles anywhere close to where I’m at.
People...

Even before bus time this morning was starting out as a challenge. As the kids were getting ready for school I was yelling obscenities out the living room window. The kids already new that the turkeys were in the field. The turkeys know I don’t hunt them in that field unless one of the kids is with me. The temptation crept through my mind as it’s the last day and all the turkeys seem to be better than me this week. But I gathered my gear and after the kids got on the bus I peeled out of the driveway to the piece of public ground I started on Tuesday morning. There’s nothing like starting your morning with a steep climb to an oak ridge. I get to where I wanted to be and sat down, immediately the gobbles rang, but a long, long ways off. I sat there for about 45 minutes intermittently calling before I’d had enough. I moved about a 1/2 mile and sat down again. When I sat down I ran a honey locust thorn through my buttcheek. After cussing and crying under my breath I called for a bit but nothing, I gathered up my gear on the ground and stood up. Dang it, there was a hen about as far away as I could see. But she didn’t appear to have seen me, so I sit back down. 20 minutes later I’m certain she’s gone and I’m ready to move again. As I stand up a pair of geese overhead let’s a couple honks and they are cut off by a gobble, close too. So I sit back down facing the opposite direction and I see a pair of Tom’s hightailing it towards me about 5 yards apart. There’s no time to see which one is bigger so I point my gun so as soon as the leader cleared a tree I could shoot. As soon as he cleared the tree I shot and he did the death flop. The back Tom turned and took about three steps and all of a sudden turned around and went over, jumped on top of the dead turkey and started spurring the crap out of him. Tom 2 was obviously tired of being the follower and couldn’t resist the opportunity to kick tom 1 while he was down! I don’t know which one gobbled at the geese, but it was a fatal mistake. If it hadn’t gobbled I’d have gotten up and left with those 2 Tom’s less than 75 yards away.

1712852078737.jpeg
1712852798510.jpeg

Awesome! Congrats! Our season opens Saturday and of course I work all weekend.

I can imagine the noises you made getting up and getting ready to move were heard by those toms and they took it to be turkeys scratching and they came running. Intentionally making leaf noise has sealed many a tom's fate for me over the years.
You are being too kind. I’m out of shape and have sore joints. It’s a production for me to get up off the ground after I’ve been sitting there for a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back