Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Today's pheasant hunt with my son:

Guy

My son with the four birds we got today. We missed one. Four times! Still laughing.
xqQFrjPh.jpg

Young Maverick is turning into a pretty good hunter!
i2fUTn2h.jpg

Regards, Guy

One rooster and two sharpies today for me. Missed one shot at a sharpie and saw one other rooster (no hens). Walked all day and hunted two dogs. Very poor this year ... again!

Reactions: Guy
Good times!! Congrats. What breed of dog is Maverick?

Maverick is a German Wirehaired Pointer. A lot of folks ask that question because of his coloration. He's of the "liver" color, and their hair is of a different texture & color than other GWP's. I've had a couple of others, but this guy sure looks different from them.
jhVdqCsh.jpg

He is a purebred, but was a rescue dog that came into our lives about a year and a half ago. He's come a long, long way. The night I met him, he really wanted to rip me limb from limb and eat me. Now he naps with his head across my leg. We're good buddies now. He deserved some time & understanding.

Was debating about having him professionally trained like my last GWP, but he hunts so hard and so well with just my rudimentary guidance... I dunno. He keeps getting better. Today, he was spot on, 100%. I was impressed.

Regards, Guy

Maverick is a German Wirehaired Pointer. A lot of folks ask that question because of his coloration. He's of the "liver" color, and their hair is of a different texture & color than other GWP's. I've had a couple of others, but this guy sure looks different from them.
jhVdqCsh.jpg

He is a purebred, but was a rescue dog that came into our lives about a year and a half ago. He's come a long, long way. The night I met him, he really wanted to rip me limb from limb and eat me. Now he naps with his head across my leg. We're good buddies now. He deserved some time & understanding.

Was debating about having him professionally trained like my last GWP, but he hunts so hard and so well with just my rudimentary guidance... I dunno. He keeps getting better. Today, he was spot on, 100%. I was impressed.

Regards, Guy
Thanks for the reply. The coloration and his hair looking a lot shorter in your previous pic through me. I thought he might be a German shorthair pointer. Beautiful dog though and great story too.

Thanks for the reply. The coloration and his hair looking a lot shorter in your previous pic through me. I thought he might be a German shorthair pointer. Beautiful dog though and great story too.

Thanks. Ya, he'd been for a swim in the Columbia not too long before that photo was taken. His fur was pretty well laid down when I snapped the photo, but those "liver" colored GWP dogs often have shorter hair. His brother "Willie" on the other hand, is the same color but looks like Chewbaca from Star Wars. Seriously furry! :)

Guy

Nicely done!! Though I won't argue with you that he's a GWP, he looks very much like a pudelpointer, which was used to develop the GWP/Drahthaar IIRC. Either way, good looking dog.

Its amazing to me, that the GWP or Drahthaar can range n looks from GSP to sheepdog and color from mostly white to completely liver. My last Draht litter had pups from slik and almost no beard to looking pure griffon.....a hairy mess.....They defiitely are not coookie cutter labs....:) (no offense meant, I have a lab too))

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back