MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

To rebarrel or not to rebarrel, that is the question.

OntarioHunter

Having quite a discussion with my gunsmith African hunting buddy about repairing my old Springfield. Dad mail ordered two of them that were WWII surplus from an ad in American Rifleman circa 1962. Then he and a coworker sporterized them in the Hungry Horse Dam machine shop during off duty hours. I have hunted with it almost exclusively since 1964. Shot a ton of animals but most less than 100 yards ... a few less than 20 yards. So being a tack driver was never a big thing. A couple of years ago I noticed an occasional wild one when sighting the gun in. Blamed it on poor reloading. But after upgrading to an electronic scale it became clear that wasn't the issue. This was a late production 1903A3 with only two rifle lands (the other one that my brother now owns has four lands). The bore never looked good to me.

Now I'm getting ready to go to Africa again and took it to the range a few weeks ago when the snow went out at the gravel pit (and snow is now back again!). At 25 yards I blew the center out of the bull but at 100 yards the group was maybe five inches + low and to the left about ten inches. One shot was way wild low left and almost off the paper (need to check the empty brass - might be a split case). Not very good. At 200 yards, which is almost a short shot for African plains game, who knows where I'd be hitting an animal ... if I hit the animal. A good deal came up on ebay for a sporterized Springfield barrel with four lands. Images posted of bore looked very good. Price was right and I snapped it up. Shipped the rifle to my buddy and he claims the barrel bore is one of worst he's seen. Definitely shot out. He's still waiting for the ebay barrel.

So now we're having a discussion about how to proceed. First, money is no object. I have lots. Gary thinks this gun has seen its day and I should buy something new. Must take "the best" with me on this hunt of a lifetime. But what is the "best?" Is the "best" shooting gun actually that important? I would love to take my dad with me ... but he died on West Glacier Golf Course in June 1999. Figure if I take his gun (again) he'll be along. Also my buddy is living on borrowed time with multiple heart problems. If he fixes this gun up to shoot respectable (maybe not "best"), he'll be along too. And eventually when my daughter gets the gun after I'm gone, she will have a piece of three men she has known and loved keep as well as all the trophies from both sides of the world that it took.

So ... what do you think? What's an acceptable threshold for something that's maybe not the "best" ... but good enough? Two inch group? Before you ask, yes I had a rock solid setup at the range. Very good new two year-old scope, tight bases and rings. No shot should have been outside the diamond at 100 yards. Personally, I think it will be worth whatever it costs to bring this old gun back to life. It's a way of keeping me alive. Not sure why that should be so important. Guess we only get one chance at life. Why waste it being forgotten? Or doing forgettable things.

9" kill zone cut in half for real-world shooting variance gets you to 4.5" target. 4 MOA at 100y, 2 MOA at 200y etc. should be fine if committed to double lung shot placement. But I would still barrel - 'cuz I like fiddly gun upgrade projects.

Not much to this gun but barrel, stock, trigger group, bolt, and scope. New stock, safety, and trigger were part of "sporterizing". Replaced the stock in 80s when a horse rolled on me and broke the one Dad put on it. Replaced old 3X Weaver scope two years ago with new 3x9 Nikon simply for clearer glass. Action is glass bedded and magazine feeds perfectly. Nothing can really go wrong with the bolt. Should last forever. As should the entire gun if the new barrel works out. Deer Gun final 3.JPG

Only one that can call this is you! Were it me, I'd have the action checked and go from there. But shooting the way it is I'd re-barrel in a heart beat. I have a 700 I inherited from a very close friend. It was a 25-06 and I already had one of those so re-barreled to 6.5x06, glad I did. I also have a 1903 built by Paul Jaeger also inherited from the same friend with a wasted barrel. He shot a lot of corrosive primer's and didn't clean it enough. It still manages to shoot 1 1/4" groups at 100yds and Paul Jaeger's name is on the barrel. That's two reasons it will never be re-barreled. Third is I have rifles to replace it with if accuracy goes down hill much more. Went and re-read your post again. You think it will be worth whatever it cost's to bring the old gun back to life! Do it then!

9" kill zone cut in half for real-world shooting variance gets you to 4.5" target. 4 MOA at 100y, 2 MOA at 200y etc. should be fine if committed to double lung shot placement. But I would still barrel - 'cuz I like fiddly gun upgrade projects.
I should have mentioned the new 4-land barrel also comes with a fancy attached aftermarket front sight slotted for a hood. And I'm sure you know everyone MUST have a hooded sight on African guns! That's just the way it's done.

I hunt with an old sporterized Springfield too, and my choice would be to rebarrel. The only thing I’d add is maybe consider reboring too while you’re at it and go up to 9.3x62 for Africa, but that’s just me.

I should have mentioned the new 4-land barrel also comes with a fancy attached aftermarket front sight slotted for a hood. And I'm sure you know everyone MUST have a hooded sight on African guns! That's just the way it's done.

Since we're spending your ample treasure chest, I'd say get leaf express sights for the rear & then restock as well using either the original Griffin & Howe pattern or the Rigby. No need to go exhibition grade, but AAA will suffice.

If I had a precious heirloom rifle that needed a new barrel I would get a very good aftermarket barrel from one of the very good barrel makers, and not an ebay special.
Only one guy I can find is making 30-06 barrels for Springfield and he's been backordered for quite a while. And they are "in the white" anyway. I don't have time to wait around. Leaving for Africa this summer. No doubt this barrel was removed from original gun when owner upgraded to some exotic calibre ... unnecessarily. Hopefully that is the case. Brand new barrels can be rotten too. It happens. This one is definitely not shot out.

I hunt with an old sporterized Springfield too, and my choice would be to rebarrel. The only thing I’d add is maybe consider reboring too while you’re at it and go up to 9.3x62 for Africa, but that’s just me.
30-06 will kill everything I'm hunting except buff. Legal minimum for them is .375 H&H. I rent a gun for that. Presume I'll again use my PH's very nice CZ. Shot my last one with it.

The lodge only rents 30-06 to clients for plains game. For my last animal, kudu, I had to rent a CZ Ebony Edition when the new Nikon scope crapped on Springfield. Latitude went to hell. At 25 yards it shot a perfect line of holes left to right through the target bull. Fixed on warranty.

Not sure why folks think a bruiser cartridge is necessary for African plains game. They generally have thinner skin than North American deer/elk and none except maybe eland are bigger. And even they are certainly no bigger than moose. I shot a lot of moose with this old gun.

Only one guy I can find is making 30-06 barrels for Springfield and he's been backordered for quite a while. And they are "in the white" anyway. I don't have time to wait around. Leaving for Africa this summer. No doubt this barrel was removed from original gun when owner upgraded to some exotic calibre ... unnecessarily. Hopefully that is the case. Brand new barrels can be rotten too. It happens. This one is definitely not shot out.

Any competent smith can thread a barrel for any action. I don't think you need a factory threaded bbl, just a good smith with a lathe.

Any competent smith can thread a barrel for any action. I don't think you need a factory threaded bbl, just a good smith with a lathe.
Nearest one is eight hours away in Manitoba. My buddy has retired due to health reasons. He got rid of all his equipment but stock shaper last year. He has the gun now. He's only an hour and a half from the Manitoba guy but the border between provinces is closed now. Have to mail it. We do have another gunsmith in town with lathe etc but Cal has been in terrible health for years. Not sure if he's even still alive. I'd be lucky if it got done in two years. He probably wouldn't even take the job.

Because you can keep the original barrel if that matters to you. If you don't handload then it might not be that good of an option.
Still have to find brass. I would probably go with 35 Whelen if choosing that route. Ammo/brass is a little easier to come by. But 30-06 is just so hard to beat.

I say if re-soling a pair of boots doesn't make them differrent boots, re-barreling doesn't mean a new rifle. Get a new barrel on that thing! Your dad would approve of that rifle shooting nice groups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back