Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

To Clean or Not to Clean

ElkHunter11

I went to the range last weekend and shot 16 rounds through my .300 win mag (180 grain federal trophy bonded tip). All went well and feel confident in my setup, finally. Now I am in a dilemma of what to do. Leave it be and don't touch the gun until my hunt in October, or give the barrel another thorough cleaning to remove any fouling that the 16 shots produced and then shoot a couple fouling shots before the hunt? I would rather not clean it again as my shots were good, but not sure when copper fouling really starts becoming a problem with this high powered round. I will of course shoot when I get to CO to make sure the rifle stayed zeroed, so I am estimating 20 rounds total before the hunt if I did not clean. I've posted a lot of threads about this dang gun, but now have everything good to go so I should be done creating threads on this gun after this thread. Thanks!

In my opinion it depends on the gun. I would leave it the way it is. For example I have one gun I can clean it and go out and foul it and it's rights on. My second rifle I clean the barrel and it takes me almost a box of shells to get it back to hitting where it needs to be. I think you are fine with only 20 rounds down the pipe. After the season clean it and see how it shoots with a clean bore. Wish you luck in CO. Where abouts are you headed? I will be heading that way in October as well!

I wouldn't touch it. You'll have to shoot it in CO anyway since you're coming from the flattest of the flat lands and elevation will do funny things to your zero.

Thanks all for the tips, I think I will leave it be as I would rather have it somewhat fouled than accidentally doing something to the scope or barrel during the cleaning process.

Also wanted to share some feedback I just got from a friend who is a Seal. He said with his .300 win mag, he doesn't clean until about the 400 round mark. I thought that was a crazy high amount of rounds through such a powerful cartridge, but I think he knows what he's talking about haha. But, I don't think I could let myself go 400 rounds without cleaning..

In my opinion it depends on the gun. I would leave it the way it is. For example I have one gun I can clean it and go out and foul it and it's rights on. My second rifle I clean the barrel and it takes me almost a box of shells to get it back to hitting where it needs to be. I think you are fine with only 20 rounds down the pipe. After the season clean it and see how it shoots with a clean bore. Wish you luck in CO. Where abouts are you headed? I will be heading that way in October as well!

Thanks, we will be near Somerset for 1st rifle. What about you? ShootsManyBullets- that's very true.. hopefully won't be too far off though.

Leave it be. I start shooting my guns in mid summer and do not clean them until after the season, usually in January. They shoot sub moa.

Don't clean it, or you will be back to square one. You should be hunting on a dirty barrel anyway, just for consistency. If that is all that you have shot it, then fouling is not an issue. If it shoots good, put it away and don't FRIGGN' touch it! I have made that mistake too many times to mention!

I have a 300wsm that I shoot 1k yards with regularly. A few years back I took detailed notes on when the accuracy/velocity changed. Totally changed my cleaning routine, I shot it yesterday and round count since it's last cleaning is in the 70's.

I'm sure barnes or another copper bullet may be different but this has been my experience with gilding metal bullet jackets. In general I would say rounds 5-50 are the most consistent.

As stated above it depends on the gun. My favorite gun will begin to shoot worse after around 15-20. Its a sub moa gun so its easy to tell. For a hunt I clean, fire two fouling shots and recheck zero when I arrive. I figure even with a minor adjustment I am still under that 20 shot range.

Man, whatever you do, do not touch that bore!

If it's grouping, it's in the condition that it needs and wants to be in. When you begin to lose accuracy, that is the rifle telling you to clean it.

If a accurate hunting rifle means anything at all to you, then listen to your rifle.

I could never shoot my rifles as well as my rifles shoot. Thus, it's never been an issue for me.

Do NOT clean. Good luck in Colorado. I'll be in that area 1st rifle as well, 521 specifically. Stay safe.

Good luck to you as well! Elk24- good luck 2nd rifle.

Yeah, I'm not going to touch the gun until I get up there. Thanks all for the advice. I will hopefully have a story with a good ending when I get back.

I just went thru the same thing with my Remington 7mm custom .....finicky SOB. had it tack driving last year. shot a bull at close to 600 yards. 2 shots both exactly where I put the x-hairs almost same entrance, one big exit. shot it this year, exactly where it was last year 3 shots less than .75 MOA. it was shooting a little higher than I wanted so I adjusted down a whole 3 clicks and it started spraying the shots the next 3 were about a 2inch group. cleaned it and after 15 shots still will not group. better than a inch and a 1/2. damn gun. I have 2 brownings off the shelf that have never lost there zero more than a click or 2...what do you think? everything is still tight and square.

Hmm, did you use a good copper solvent? That was always a suggestion when mine wouldn't group. I would also try to square the scope. Not sure if that's the correct wording, but try to make a square with your shots by adjusting the elevation/windage. Could be something loose in your scope and that would be a good tell if there was something wrong with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back