PEAX Equipment

To change 7mm to 300

Preacher shaner

I have a 7mag shots great. But been reading some stuff on line saying i should change to a 300 i just dont know. Is there enuff benefit. Has any body on here ever had problems with the 7mag.

Just my 2cents but i have both rifles & don't believe the difference in the two is worth the switch I love them both. That being said you can never have too many guns, so change no getting another yes

Don't change. 7 mag is great. One of the best elk calibers IMO. Less recoil than .300 and will kill anything just as dead.

I have read the opposite. Generally the 7mm is going to have a better BC than the .30 caliber. There are options that can push the .30 faster than the 7mm Rem Mag, but those are going to be pretty intensive recoil.

With that said I made the switch from 7mm Rem Mag to .300 WSM a couple years ago. My main reason for switching was the short action more than anything else. My .300 WSM is 5" shorter than my 7mm Rem Mag was (22" barrel vs. 26" barrel plus the action is about an inch shorter). With my 7mm Rem Mag strapped to my backpack I ended up getting it stuck on low hanging branches way more than you would think. My .300 WSM is below my head height now so I very rarely have an issue anymore.

Plus my .300 WSM is more accurate, but that is not the norm, my 7mm Rem Mag Browning A-Bolt just wasn't a tack driver. My .300 WSM isn't either, but it is within 1 MOA and the 7mm Rem Mag wasn't.

If your 7mm is accurate and you aren't having issues with it getting hung up in low branches I would just keep it.

I have a 7mag shots great. But been reading some stuff on line saying i should change to a 300 i just dont know. Is there enuff benefit. Has any body on here ever had problems with the 7mag.

It's only dead game animals that have a problem with the 7 mag. They seem to die when it makes noise. You will never see a difference between the 2 in performance other than not beating your shoulder to death with a 300 mag.

No logical reason to change unless you want to abuse your shoulder a little more. Any benefit is only going to be seen in projectiles over 200 grains and even then it’s very marginal.

Along these lines..... Is there a benefit to the .300 wm over a 7 mag for a bison hunt? I have an opportunity next year for a bison 'hunt' on a ranch and have both, but I'm sort of leaning towards the .300wm for a big bodied animal like a bison. I load for both and shoot both well.

The minimum requirement for a rifle for bison in Alaska is a 200 grain bullet going 2,000 fps at 100 yards.

Unless you reload the 7 mag you aren't going to get a 200 grain bullet on any factory ammo I've seen.

Evidently Alaska F&G seems to think a big bullet is more important for Bison than a fast bullet.

I'd stick with the 7mm Mag. A dead critter is a dead critter if you do your part no matter what you use. Feeling comfortable and confident with a firearm is key in my opinion. But a person really don't need an excuse to add to their collection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back