Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tips for a Disabled Hunter in WY

I dont know to much about about NE Wyoming or Antelope hunting, so I dont have a whole lot of valuable information to add.

Good luck, I hope you both have an enjoyable hunt and bring home lots of memories. I will be watching for future hunt updates.

Unfortunately with this storm you may not make it through the Dakotas by Friday. Snow totals are up in the air all over Eastern side of Wyoming. Travel safe and don't push it on iffy roads, the pronghorn will still be here when you get here.

It’s been quite a few years since I hunted up that way. When we were there it snowed at night and thawed during the day. That red clay stuck to everything and turned into almost concrete after it dries.

With that said we got around Ok in the truck, the ATV was a Honda Forman 450 and it had no issues out in the National Grass Lands.

Unfortunately with this storm you may not make it through the Dakotas by Friday. Snow totals are up in the air all over Eastern side of Wyoming. Travel safe and don't push it on iffy roads, the pronghorn will still be here when you get here.

On the east side of Rapid City is a bypass hiway 36. Take that to hiway 79 [a 4-laner] which takes you to Hot Springs, SD. Keep going west to Mule Creek Junction and take 85 south to Lusk. Go west from Lusk to I-25 and then north to Casper. Only one hill on 79 that I recall.

Or take I-90 to Sheridan and down I-25 to Casper.

Last edited:
Well, my Dad will be leaving Green Bay shortly with his truck and hopefully arriving at my place near Milwaukee around 2:30 pm. He just got the oil changed this morning. We’ll be good as long as he doesn’t forget the rifles.

I’ll get home a little after three and get everything organized and loaded. Hopefully we’ll hit the road no later than 5 pm.

I’m sitting here at work checking forecasts, radar maps, and web cams on a short lunch break. See below if you’re interested in what I-90 looks like at the WY state line right nowD8621326-A76B-4E32-89B1-78DE766D3049.png

Reactions: LCH
Drive safely and have a great hunt! Hope your dad has the time of his life. WY is an awesome state.

I am assuming you are hunting rifle. When you set up a blind, set up a flag on a stake about 100 yards out. In Wyoming, you can flag your antelope. In Colorado, least when I used to live there, it was illegal there. Wyoming has no law on flagging. Since your dad qualifies for handicapped hunting, he can get a permit for baiting, but you yourself can not hunt over bait. Chemical attractants designed to attract rather than be consumed by big game is not baiting under the law.

I like that picture of I-90 I’ll be Hunting Whitetail near Spearfish mid November. 😀
Safe travels and good luck.

Its a real pain getting out there when you can't do 90 mph on the highway.

Yep, doing about 70 mph and getting about 12.7 mpg with this headwind. Going to have to plant some trees when I get home to make up for all this fuel we’re burning. Over half way now though

Our weather has drastically improved. Will be chilly at night but no single digit temps. Drive safe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back