Caribou Gear

Tips for 1st archery Elk Hunt !

Trigger50

2 Friends & I are doing our 1st archery elk hunt in WY this fall !!! Cant wait. We've hunted antelope/mule deer 9 times before. Ive been working out w a 50 lb pack & shooting my bow to 70 yds. Send my any 1st time archery elk tips !!! :)

Yes ! I definitely upgraded my rain gear for this trip. We are gonna take 2 weeks for archery w the option of 1 week for rifle if needed.

I'm in the same situation Trigger50. I'll be following this thread to try and pick up some tips.

Take some time, step back and "smell the roses". Yes you are trying to fill your tag but really take a look around and take everything in for the time your there. Enjoy it all, and get ready to go back............

Spend some time glassing ...figure the area out .
DONT bugle every step ..they know your there...try some soft cow calls as your moving around .Im not a expert but have taking my share ..
your going to put some miles on your boots ..same as a good deer hunt .
im sure you have all your gear picked out ..maybe a few different cow calls ...
with that much time you should have some great luck !!!
post a picture when you hit your mark !!!!

MT.PERCHMAN

expect crazy weather, keep the wind in your favor, have good broke in boots and if you see a gray Tundra with VA tags turnaround and drive 30 miles away there are no elk there....lol above all else just have fun!!!

C

Sounds like you're getting prepped for success. Where are you planning on hunting?

We are hunting on WY general elk tags. We arent holding out for big bulls. Anything bigger than a spike is going down !

Get elknut's play book and read up. Keep the wind in your favor and get the thermals figured out in your area. About every fourth or fifth day of hard hunting have a little easier day hunt. This will help you not burn out from grinding your body over and over.
The biggest thing is be tough mentally.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back