Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Times sure have changed

Oak

Expert
I was reading an old book on mule deer hunting last night, and came across this advise in the gun selection paragraph. Gun writers today would be out of business passing along advise like this. :D

"The following magnums are excessively powerful for mule deer: 7mm, .300 H&H, .300 Weatherby, .308 Norma, .300 Winchester, .338 Winchester, .375 H&H - to name some of them."

Wow! That would put a lot of writers and a lot of hunters out of business.

Do you think hunting itself has changed since (I'm guessing) the late 1940's? There are more deer in most areas and smaller areas to hunt with more people in them. The deer are more aware of people and are a bit more wary. Most folks travel farther to hunt than they used to.

Except with a bow.. all of this is null and void because you still have to get close.

:cool:

I must be getting old. I'm favoring the old and slow 30-06 over all others. 270 win and 308 are good ones too. I'm a recoil pansy.

Dan, interesting question. I wasn't hunting until the mid 80's, but don't really see any marked difference in hunting big game. The exception being the unbelievable mule deer numbers in southern Idaho during the mid 80's. Hopefully we'll see that again. Me thinks the elk population numbers are up since then and still plenty of mature bulls out there if I exercise a small of self control when mr. raghorn presents himself.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back