Time for a new rifle?

Hamm59701

In the market for a new rifle. Deer, elk and potentially moose/bison if I ever draw a tag. Western hunting with ranges out to 500 yards. I'm a bid dude and can tolerate recoil well but don't want to get too crazy. Think I have settled on a bergara ridge wilderness in 300 prc. Any deep thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for any input.

The big 300s are great calibers but 2 things 1) if you don't reload consider a 300win or wby perhaps, just for long-term ammo available. 2) the big 300s are WAY over qualified for your up to 500 yard range. I think a 7rem, 300 win or even a 30-06 would be better choice especially if you don't reload. If you plan on shooting longer ranges eventually I understand but your gun your money and sometimes it's just fun to have big gun...lol.

Food for thought.

I have never shot the 300 PRC, but I'm sure it would be a good choice. The PRC and 300 WIN seem like good choices if you're not a reloader. The Nosler 28 and 30 seem like good cartridges too. I got my 300 RUM the first or second year they came out and really like that rifle a lot.

I suppose I should have added that will be reloading and have all 30 cal stuff other than brass, already have a 243 for the light work. Would hopefully be reaching out to longer ranges 6-800 at the range but have learned my lesson on effective range while hunting.

Not a Magnum but if you reload a 280 AI might be just the ticket.

If you don't reload a 300 Win Mag.

I highly recommend the 7mm Rem Mag, I had a great year this year 3 one shot kills on a antelope, mule deer buck, and whitetail buck. The closest shot was 250 yards on the mule deer. All three animals dropped in their tracks. Shooting a 160 grain Accubond bullet.

Ive been looking at the Bergara Wilderness Ridge in 7mm Rem Mag. I have the B14 Hunter in .270 and its an awesome rifle. I like the big barrel and cerakote on the Ridge. It is on the heavy side, but I don't really like light rifles. Looks like it should be a good rifle to stretch out to further ranges.

While I am very partial to my 30 Nosler, I also have a .28 Nosler and think it may be the best all around long range cartridge you can get. Both have substantial recoil in light rifles. Ammo is not any more expensive than other premium fancy crap

Last edited:
I can only offer my thought process. I start with the caliber and what i want to do with it. My "big game" rifle needed to meet similar parameters (no moose). I wanted a caliber that hit hard, shot flat, penetrated and had recoil i could not only tolerate but shoot enough to be confident with it.

I bought a 300 wm first and it was too much for me on range days. I like to practice at distances i intend to shoot and not only off a bench. so, i can run through a box in an extended session in a day. I added a brake and couldn't deal with the muzzle blast. At the range i ran foam and ear muffs. still sucked.

So, i started again with 7RM and found a sweet spot for me. 160 grain loads at 3000 fps out of my browning were accurate and w/o a brake produced a recoil i found very shootable. For the rifle, i started with a browning A bolt stalker stainless. light, stainless, accurate. I like it but am going to upgrade to a Sako 85 Finnlight soon. Good luck in your decision.

I think you would be perfectly satisfied with the performance of either cartridge. My 300 win mag is a pleasure to shoot without a brake. I am not one that desires too much of a good thing. I think one of the concerns with the big 30s these days is getting a barrel with a fast enough twist rate. I have a 1:10” in the 300 win mag and it will stabilize anything I want to shove down it’s throat. With the PRC you may find a need for a faster twist, say 8.5 or 9 for shooting heavy bullets. The PRC is designed to shove high BC bullets at extremely long ranges, like a thousand meters. If I was looking to knock a big bull moose or Bison off it’s feet at 500 yards, I would consider the 33 Nosler...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back