MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Tikka T3x Lite SS Shortened vs Tikka T3x Superlite

mr_steve

I have narrowed down my search for a lightweight backcountry rifle and have chosen a Tikka but I am looking at two different routes both in 6.5 CM. The Superlite is 5.9 lbs vs the Lite which is 6.3 lbs due to the fluting on the SL. Both are 24.3" barrels. I'm either going to get the Superlite or buy the Lite and cut down the barrel to 20" as I like a shorter barrel for packing and not snagging on brush. In thick brush a long rifle can be very frustrating. I understand you lose some velocity at far distances but I don't ever plan to shoot over 500, and rarely over 300. You will also cut weight to be similar to the SL.

Does anyone have experience with shortening a Tikka down? Which route would you chose, Tikka T3x Lite SS shortened to 20" barrel or Tikka T3x Superlite? Thanks for your input!

i don't understand why tikka produces the 6.5cm with a 24.5" barrel personally. the 260 rem and 7mm-08 versions of the same rifle both have 22.5" barrel. i'm with you on this one in that i don't like 24" barrel on anything other than a magnum.22.5" is a very good compromise on standard velo cartridges.
Big Ed

i don't understand why tikka produces the 6.5cm with a 24.5" barrel personally. the 260 rem and 7mm-08 versions of the same rifle both have 22.5" barrel. i'm with you on this one in that i don't like 24" barrel on anything other than a magnum.22.5" is a very good compromise on standard velo cartridges.
Big Ed

Another option is to cut the Superlite down to about 22" as the fluting doesn't go all the way to the end. There's about 4" to play with.

I have narrowed down my search for a lightweight backcountry rifle and have chosen a Tikka but I am looking at two different routes both in 6.5 CM. The Superlite is 5.9 lbs vs the Lite which is 6.3 lbs due to the fluting on the SL. Both are 24.3" barrels. I'm either going to get the Superlite or buy the Lite and cut down the barrel to 20" as I like a shorter barrel for packing and not snagging on brush. In thick brush a long rifle can be very frustrating. I understand you lose some velocity at far distances but I don't ever plan to shoot over 500, and rarely over 300. You will also cut weight to be similar to the SL.

Does anyone have experience with shortening a Tikka down? Which route would you chose, Tikka T3x Lite SS shortened to 20" barrel or Tikka T3x Superlite? Thanks for your input!

FYI,
I just picked up a Superlite from Sportsman's in 7-08 (22" fluted barrel) and on my postal scale it weighed in at 6lb 1oz right out of the box. I hadn't wiped all the oil out of the action or barrel yet, so maybe that's where the extra weight came from :LOL:.

My Tikkas are the standard T3X Lite (one is a stainless). They are not by any means uncomfortable to pack. I've hauled them all over the mountains. Shaving off a few more ounces by cutting down the barrel - do what you want but its unnecessary.

I believe the 24" barrel on the 6.5 is just to increase the speed a little. Again... Do what you want, but get a 7mm-08 or .270 for a general purpose backpack hunting rifle.

I started to mention .308 but we know where that would go. 😁

I stopped by Sportsman’s after work and fondled a Superlight in 6.5 Creedmoor. It’s a very nice rifle, the one I handled had a great trigger. I don’t think the 24” barrel would be a deal breaker for me unless I was hunting out of a tree stand or blind.

Check tikkas website, I could have swore they make the creedmore in both 24 and 22" barrels.
If they don't, as @Brian in Montana mentioned, I would go with the 270 if you really want a shorter barrel. Bullet choices are pretty good in hunting bullets, I would choose the 129 grain barnes lrx and get comparable ballistics to the 6.5x284 with the 127 lrx, which is about 150 fps faster than the creedmore IIRC. I had always dismissed the 270 compared to the newer cartridges until I found an old rifle I wanted real, real bad that was a 270. I became a believer after reviewing a lot of ballistics. I will probably get 270s for my girls once they outgrow my 243 and hopefully want to elk hunt.

My Tikkas are the standard T3X Lite (one is a stainless). They are not by any means uncomfortable to pack. I've hauled them all over the mountains. Shaving off a few more ounces by cutting down the barrel - do what you want but its unnecessary.

I believe the 24" barrel on the 6.5 is just to increase the speed a little. Again... Do what you want, but get a 7mm-08 or .270 for a general purpose backpack hunting rifle.

I started to mention .308 but we know where that would go. 😁

I’m considering the 7mm-08 for sure. It might just be perfect? My plan was to get a 6.5 CM for deer and lope and a 300 WSM for bigger game.

That sounds like a good plan to me. 👍. Don't mind me, I just like to pitch a ration of crap to the 6.5 CM fanclub when I get the chance. I really like the 7-08 and admittedly nurse a grudge that it's been all but pushed off the shelves by the 6.5 Manbun. Never used it but I'm sure it's great for deer-sized critters.

I've gotten out of the magnum businesses in recent years, myself, but I believe if I were going to get another I'd probably go with one of the short mags. I really like what I know about the 7mm SM, but there really aren't many of those around.

That sounds like a good plan to me. 👍. Don't mind me, I just like to pitch a ration of crap to the 6.5 CM fanclub when I get the chance. I really like the 7-08 and admittedly nurse a grudge that it's been all but pushed off the shelves by the 6.5 Manbun. Never used it but I'm sure it's great for deer-sized critters.

I've gotten out of the magnum businesses in recent years, myself, but I believe if I were going to get another I'd probably go with one of the short mags. I really like what I know about the 7mm SM, but there really aren't many of those around.
Yeah I understand what you are saying about the 6.5 craze. If I hadn’t seen it drop about 5 deer over the last two seasons with little to no tracking I wouldn’t be as convinced to jump on the bandwagon. The more research I do I’m leaning towards the 7-08 because the Tikka SuperLite comes in a 22in barrel. Could easily shorten to 20in and thread it. It also has the edge over the 6.5 for knockdown ability if you think there’s a chance you might need to shoot a bear or elk.

I stopped by Sportsman’s after work and fondled a Superlight in 6.5 Creedmoor. It’s a very nice rifle, the one I handled had a great trigger. I don’t think the 24” barrel would be a deal breaker for me unless I was hunting out of a tree stand or blind.
They are on sale right now! If Sportsman’s wasn’t 2 hours away I’d be fondling too. SellinG unused hunting stuff to pay for it so hopefully by summer.

I’m considering the 7mm-08 for sure. It might just be perfect? My plan was to get a 6.5 CM for deer and lope and a 300 WSM for bigger game.
I have all 3 so not bashing any of those, but if you want one gun to do it all I would go .270Win if I had to shoot factory ammo and .280AI if I could handload. Both will work for coyotes to moose (and antelope, deer and elk in between). If needed to stay short action and hand loaded then would go 7mm08AI. But if sticking to factory Tikka, go .270 for a one gun for western hunting.

I have all 3 so not bashing any of those, but if you want one gun to do it all I would go .270Win if I had to shoot factory ammo and .280AI if I could handload. Both will work for coyotes to moose (and antelope, deer and elk in between). If needed to stay short action and hand loaded then would go 7mm08AI. But if sticking to factory Tikka, go .270 for a one gun for western hunting.
You bring up excellent points. I’ve contemplated the one gun that is versatile. I’ve seen a .270 do it all too. My plan was more of the two gun plan and not trying pin myself down to one that does it all. I see benefits of both. Just when I think I have it narrowed down... ha. Great input!

You bring up excellent points. I’ve contemplated the one gun that is versatile. I’ve seen a .270 do it all too. My plan was more of the two gun plan and not trying pin myself down to one that does it all. I see benefits of both. Just when I think I have it narrowed down... ha. Great input!
Since the Tikkas are all “long action” receivers as long as you don’t mind a little more recoil a .270 is a great choice over 6.5cm in my view. Then if you also get a 300WSM then you have everything from coyote to bison covered and each can be a backup up for the other (except 270 not a back up for bison) as 300WSM will also work well for antelope and deer.

I have the lite in 300 win mag and hauled it all over gods creation this year and it did great. I think whichever route you go you will be happy.

I haven’t taken my 270 out the safe this year, been using the tikka for whitetail too

I'm not knocking the 6.5 Creed, I just don't find it all that impressive as a hunting rifle. There are a dozen calibers that will bang-flop deer as effectively as the 6.5 or better. You were talking about seeing 5 deer get dropped in the past couple seasons. I've seen the same over the years with the .308, .270, .243, 7mm-08. Nothing wrong with the 6.5, but it was designed to be a target cartridge. In terms of performance, at the range, in competition shooting, that's where it tends to outshine it's contemporaries. Not necessarily in big game hunting, but it does work, of course.

Not to turn this into a Creed thing, but my observation was this. After it got popular there were reports everywhere from guys that used more "pedestrian" cartridges previous to it proclaiming it superior. All of a sudden they could shoot further, more accurately even and animals died quicker. mtmuley

Not to turn this into a Creed thing, but my observation was this. After it got popular there were reports everywhere from guys that used more "pedestrian" cartridges previous to it proclaiming it superior. All of a sudden they could shoot further, more accurately even and animals died quicker. mtmuley

I have heard rumors that the 6.5 Creedmoor might be a better killer than the 300 RUM 😀

To the OP - I have a 6.5 CM Superlite. Mine is the left hand version with the shorter 22.4” barrel. Since the barrel is already skinny, I find it hard to believe that the flutes make the Superlite 4/10 of a pound lighter than the Lite. BTW - I saw a post on another thread that indicated that a 4” section cut from the end of a Tikka weighed 4 oz.

Back