Ticky-tacky or important?

Jape

When we harvest a big game animal, there is so much that goes into it. From scouting, to gear purchasing/testing, to logistics, to keeping calm under pressure, and everything in between. When we are successful it is inevitable to get some pics to remember/share that experience, and often they are shared on social media. So, should we be conscious of how we portray the animal in those pics? Some examples: what about sitting astride/on top of an elk, allowing blood on the animal (mouth, nose, entry wound, etc...), or portraying sponsors instead of the animal?

I don't mind a little blood in a picture, but nobody likes a really gory picture, including other hunters. Other than making sure there is not a lot of blood, I don't worry about anything beside trying to take a good picture, which is sometimes harder than it seems, at least for me. I'm also not famous or sponsored, so I'm unlikely to be the target of online anti-hunters calling me a trophy hunting murderer.

Well this should tell ya what not to do...

If you are sitting as if riding your animal don't post it. If it is a headshot, has gory wounds, or generally looks like roadkill, don't post it. Don't put stickers and placards and ads on it, it is not a racecar. If you are sitting 20 feet behind it to make it look like a world record, you are lame, but go ahead and post it so others can get a chuckle.

Generally, if you have some class and respect for the animal, post whatever you like and nobody will have a right to complain.

Absolutely be conscious of how pictures are displayed. There is the reason for the saying, " A picture is worth a thousand words." Unfortunately the anti-hunting crowd gets ahold of them and misconstrues the facts to support their agenda.

That's why I blurred my face on this one...Although I didn't feel the need to longarm it, if I run across another bull I will.

wqMOk18.jpg

I bet in the many years I have hunted I have a handful of pics. Most quick as they lay shots if I could. I have almost always hunted alone.
Think I might have a couple with me in them. In a shoebox of photographs some where.
I can think of 2 of me smiling with real nice deer & I am looking at the euros of those right now. Took those to tease my bro....lol.

...tried to find JoseCuervo's most excellent grip/grin guideline thread classic. Anyone have?

Love these comments and thrilled most of us understand them!

That's why I blurred my face on this one...Although I didn't feel the need to longarm it, if I run across another bull I will.

wqMOk18.jpg

Good call. You still get a great profile view so I think you nailed it.

heres a repulsive formula
1)post you grip and grin (several times, same animal different angles), 2) buy instagram followers, 3) post selfies and tooth whitening products 4) get catchy hashtag #firebull 5) pro hunter

Most important stuff has been touched on, but I think photos of just the deer laying on its side with a gun laid over it, lookin down on the animal cockeyed in the frame... just terrible. I can find an example if what I’m saying isn’t making any sense.

I don’t mind blood, or tongue hanging out or stuf like that, just not extreme gore. Ducks with heads missing or that have been blown in half isn’t cool.

and if you’re gonna hold your gun, keep your damn finger off the trigger.

And also... it’s insulting to my intelligence when people think I can’t tell you’re standing 8ft behind something to make it look big. For real, a person couldn’t look like a bigger clown.

Heres an idea - take pictures for yourself and friends and family and dont put them on social media? People these days are more interested in seeing how many likes and follows they can get and getting attention from others. I can't stand social media platforms - I'm on the same boat as wyoelkfan15

Back