Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Thumper in Africa

Thumper

Aksai, Kazakhstan via Covington Louisiana
Well Guys, looks like I am accidently going on a short Saferi.
I am past ready to come home and trying to make a bad situation better Basically, I got screwed on the flight back home. For some reason, KLM changed the flight from South Africa home from the 27th to the 28th and since I could not change my flight from Luanda to Johannesburg to the 28th, I originally had no choice but to fly from here Tuesday, spend the night and a full day in Johannasburg the fly out at 23:55 on the night of the 28th. |oo
I did bitch enough to make them comp my room and meal, but had another idea... :rolleyes:

Well, I have been checking a few hunting operations out in SA and decided why sit in a hotel all damn day and wait for a flight when I am already pissed off. :mad:

Nothing I can do about the flight and Jo'burg is NOT a place anyone wants to hang out alone... Murder capitol of the world as I have often heard tell.

Long story short, I cut a deal with an outfit two hours outside of Johannasburg to do a one day hunt for plains game. With a focus primarily on a trophy Kudu and warthog. Hell, with the SA Rand at an all time low of 10 Rand to the $, they are running some deals that is for sure. One package this guy has is for 7 days and 8 nights with 5 animals is running $3600. All inclusive, but I might hurt him on the booze bill on that long of a stay.... :D
So, figured a one day hunt for what ever the hell pops up will be far better than having to stay pissed off over the delay in a hotel. As I plan to do some more hunting here, it is always a good thing to get to know the PH and work with them on future deals. I told him upfront what I was working with and that if all goes well I am wanting to do a cape buff and leopard in the future. So, looks like Danial Du toit , the PH will pick me up when I arrive in Johannasburg, make the 2 hour drive to their hunting concession, have a good feed, get up early and hunt the bush all day to see what we can find, clean up and drive back for the flight home that night. So, we will see if the Kudu and warthog will show and hope for a few others. It will be fine just as long as I don't pop a cap in a sable or some other critter with a high trophy fee.I was worried about the gun and dipping and shipping, but he is giving me a rifle, ammo and told me I can square up with the taxidermist for the dipping and shipping when I get home. So, they can dip and ship my shit to the shop and no worries about the other stuff. So, looks like I am hunting Africa unexpectedly. figured I would drop a line since everyone is getting to hunt and I am stuck here. might as well make the best out of it.
Here is some information on the place http://www.huntinafrica.com/destinations/packages_destinations_moreinfo.asp?Destination_ID=231

thumper... $3,600 ? Heck, you should pay for me to go too. I'll fly over, hunt with you, and then Fly home. I think it has to be worth $3,600 to Hunt with me ? Heck, thats about what you make in a 1/2 week now, right ? :D

Have fun hunting !!!! Take lot's of pics !!

Moosie,
You are more than welcome top hunt with me anytime. Hell, working out another trip on a lioness after my next trip. Hard issue is now I am on mount 42 and wondering where i am going to put this stuff. Figure the camp I am building on the Bayou will be a camp / trophy room. Sorry about putting the pictures in the general fireside, but once I figured out how to do it just went nuts.
Man it was a great hunt and had to think about your long neck monster when I saw these.

It was tempting, but had to pass.

Thumper great, My daughter lives in LA now and when I vistit her we may need to get together. olefish

Glad to hear from you Olefish. man, since moving back to Louisiana the fishing has been unreal. Yes, for the past 5 , well almost 6 years now I have nbeen living in North Covington and stay on the water. Let me know when you want to come down and do some damage to this Louisiana fish population. Also started bow fishing and love that. Bcat is working with me in Africa again, so we still hang really tight.
Getting ready to do some hunting up in Wy again this year.
Glad to hear from you.
Cheers,
Mark B.

My daughters by Abbeville and I will travel therenext winter some time, maybe Thanksgiving. Tell Bcat hello, and I have not been in his part of the state since I last seen him.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back