PEAX Equipment

Threemile WMA

BigHornRam

Got a chance to tour this work that was done in 2016 with the FWP Forester yesterday and am impressed with the work that is being done.

Here are some pictures of the thinned areas and the adjacent non treated areas four years later.

20200527_123303.jpg20200527_125530.jpg
20200527_123239.jpg
Also looked at some aspen regeneration stands that are showing positive regeneration from the thinning that was done in 2016. Good work being accomplished at our WMAs.

And they are getting started with this Good Neighbor Authority project this year, so expect more good stewardship work to come.

I live next door to 3Mile and have seen some increased wildlife activity for sure. I've also seen a lot more human traffic, which is to be expected when animals are around.

I'm glad to see the work go forward, the area desperately needed some help and I hope to see it flourish.

Quality actions presenting results. Thinning has been a net win.

Like Rebecca states in this link

some controlled burning, especially in the aspen stands could do some good things here. My understanding, collaborating with the Forest Service here may help getting that to happen. Noxious weed management where the thinning work took place was very impressive. They have been paying close attention to that.

I spent 6 years on the BLM RAC and saw similar type results on the Blackfoot. Adjacent USFS land was choked with deadfall, brush and minimal wildlife. I really like to see a mosaic of habitat types. Wildlife really like the boundaries. Large blocks of homogeneous land forms (massive clearcuts) are pretty tough on big game distribution.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kws82590
Back