Three nights in tahr country

Kiwi

As I live in Wellington it’s a bit of a mission to get into tahr country. For this particular hunt it required a 60 min flight to christchurch, a 4 hr drive to Mount Cook and a 6 hr walk. Luckily it was worth it! I saw lots of tahr as this area hasn’t yet been culled. It’s an area popular with hunters and the theory is if we keep numbers in check it won’t be culled.

Anyway, I arrived at the road end and spent an evening and morning walking into the head of the valley. I saw a few on the way but nothing which looked like a mature bull. After setting up camp on the second day I saw a big bull coming down to feed that evening. I decided the next evening I would climb high and intercept the bull and made my way back to camp. In the very last light I saw another bull from camp. Ok, now I had two bulls to consider for tomorrows hunt! I decided to try for the camp bull as he was very low and there was an excellent point to shoot from. It looked a little smaller of the two but I’d preferred the odds of success with the slightly smaller looking bull. Nice to know there is still a big bull in the area.

The next day I glassed from about 2pm and then saw the tahr moving and making there way down. It’s funny as for most of the decent they are very slow and cautious but then they start running and it can catch you off guard. I saw the bull and he stood out as the biggest in a group of four. I have a habit of stuffing up these drawn out hunts, so told myself it’s the big one or none haha

Once he was right down I stalked into 200 yards and dialled my scope and shot. It was a good shot and he high tailed it down the hill. I never like leaving an animal overnight but did as it was getting dark and getting to camp with a little light seemed like a good idea. The next day I found my bull. Spend some time getting photos and reflecting on the hunt. It’s so rewarding when a solo wilderness backpack hunt goes to plan. It was a new area but I hope to return.

Hero shot with the mountains as a back drop.
AF4832F7-C0B8-4FD8-9891-07A1192EBE06.jpeg

This photo shows the age rings nicely.EE149B16-2F23-4C9A-B739-84868F720F5C.jpeg

Couple more photos of the valley I hunted. For scale the valley floor to the mountain top is about 1600 yards.

Attachments

• F29AFB22-910D-44CD-ADA2-E544BFC1AF28.jpeg
    F29AFB22-910D-44CD-ADA2-E544BFC1AF28.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • F7C3B980-21CE-4D75-BDFF-2D0BFF889F47.jpeg
    F7C3B980-21CE-4D75-BDFF-2D0BFF889F47.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
And here are is one of the huts that are in the valley. They are from the days it was farmed and used by the shepherds but since the land is now public they arent really maintained. Interesting to visit but I prefer to camp in my tent.

Attachments

• E3C4F55B-F500-47BD-A8CF-73E30BDD0811.jpeg
    E3C4F55B-F500-47BD-A8CF-73E30BDD0811.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • A7FDD799-9775-4526-B6FD-DCB4271B58C5.jpeg
    A7FDD799-9775-4526-B6FD-DCB4271B58C5.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
nice one cam,,hunted up the ck behind your right ear in first pic,,been in the icebox in june,,cooold

And I got to miss the rugby too :)

Congrats to England for getting to the finals.
Not willing to get your thread off track, but I'm not sure many English thought we would beat the All Blacks ,how can such a small country produce such an awesome team, I reckon most kids when they are born get given a teddy bear, I reckon Kiwi's get given a funny shaped ball:LOL:
As our coach Eddie Jones said prior to the game, 'all the pressure is on the all blacks', but England played some superb rugby, and the only points the All blacks got was through an error at a line out.
Fingers crossed for next Saturday!

BTW, my best mates son returns today after 2 years working and playing in NZ, I'm not sure he will ever settle down to a normal life again, he stayed in a few of those huts!

Cheers

Richard

I don't know anything about tahr, but that looks like a good one to me! Beautiful scenery as well.

Jumping on that, can’t watch much; if any at all, of the rugby World Cup here in the states. Have gotten to watch a bit. Have always loved the Springboks, freaking Faf is a scrapper!!!! But honestly would have loved to seen an England v Wales final; what a match!!!!
Born n raised in San Antonio Texas but played for a local team here, college, Texas Select Side, and in the Marines; what a sport!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heddenbk
Back